StrawberryMilkOS

Proposal For A Handheld Computer

Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:58 am

I have a proposal for a handheld Raspberry Pi computer. It may be something like the Steam Deck, but in my idea of it, it's not strictly intended for gaming. Rather, since the Raspberry Pi is like a charity-type thing, it could be a computer partially for disabled people, like amputees.

Speaking of disabled, you know how some blind people can echolocate? The graphical user interface could also be an audio-based user interface, so you can hear the sounds of shapes and text through 3D echolocation, or using some other method.

For typing, the ability to type with one hand, for amputees, could be made using a keypad like in those old flip phones, but with upgraded buttons. You can press the button to type a number, but you can also slide the button to type a letter. For example, writing "ABC" would be done by sliding left, up, and right on the 2 button. The bottom slides on most of the keys could be reserved for special characters.

The screen could use an electrowetting display, like what the Dutch company Etulipa does. Stuart Semple also created the brightest color paints, so you could learn from his technology and create the screen with the brightest colors.

I also wish the iSmell wasn't a failed project, you could easily learn how a durian smells through a Wikipedia article if you had scent technology. You should probably reserve the scents through "nosephones," to avoid bothering other people through strong smells, and to use up less of the supply of scent liquid.

For blind-deaf people, maybe it could use vibration technology in some fashion that I can't imagine.

One final thing, I think the Raspberry Pi computers in general should come with two SD card slots, maybe one in the front and one in the back, so you can insert removable SD cards for photos and the like.

Back to the subject of games, I'm not really fond of the notion that something which is supposed to be a leisurely activity should require intensive computational processing, like that used in supercomputers. I am also tired of looking at obviously-generated-on-a-computer style graphics.

Look here, you can make 3D graphics look convincingly like 2D animation. Why don't game developers use methods like these? https://www.bloopanimation.com/visual-development/

Gavinmc42

Re: Proposal For A Handheld Computer

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:58 am

A Pi is overkill for most of those things.
But you could use a Pi to develop those things on Picos.

Look at DIY Steno keyboards for interfacing.
Add a tilt sensor and an original Twiddler style case and you have a full keyboard with 5 buttons.
https://twiddler.tekgear.com/

Haptic feedback devices are around.
Some can be driven at different frequencies.
Make a bone conduction stereo system that sits on the shoulders.

Have a search for Pi Cyberdecks.

Good displays are hard to find, especially daylight ones.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”