eabasir

Remote Desktop from IOT Core

Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:13 am

Hello
Can I establish a RDP connection from my pi2 running win 10 iot core to another server (like win 7 or 8.1)?
Thanks

fruitoftheloom

Re: Remote Desktop from IOT Core

Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:01 pm

eabasir wrote:Hello
Can I establish a RDP connection from my pi2 running win 10 iot core to another server (like win 7 or 8.1)?
Thanks
afaiaa Power shell is the only way !

Using PowerShell to connect and configure a device running Windows IoT Core

http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/w ... rShell.htm
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

eabasir

Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:36 pm

No... I'm ok to connect to my pi using power shell
my problem is to set a RDP connection from my pi 2 to another server

tweedie

Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:39 pm

I am a bit puzzled. Afaik, there are no RDP client app to make a RDP connection to another server. If you talking c# code, I guess open a port to 3389 something like https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... cplistener perhaps?

jtanner_msft

Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:00 pm

At this time I’m not aware of an RDP client that you can run on Windows 10 IoT Core. It’s possible this could change or be added in the future, but nothing I know about in a specific timeframe right now.
Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

a_varnaliev

Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:52 pm

Ok so em I able to install any windows app on IOT Core?

why ? Because there is a Microsoft Remote Desktop app in windows store so maybe this is the solution?

I will love to know if some one test this. This is great solution for thin client

fruitoftheloom

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:36 pm

a_varnaliev wrote:Ok so em I able to install any windows app on IOT Core?

why ? Because there is a Microsoft Remote Desktop app in windows store so maybe this is the solution?

I will love to know if some one test this. This is great solution for thin client
Err no IoT Core is not equivelant to Windows 10 Desktop or Mobile Editions, did you not read this ????????????

viewtopic.php?f=105&t=115197
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

UndergroundFun

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:06 pm

Let us know when you write a RDP client for it.

It should be possible I think. Not sure how it would work performance wise. According to the release notes they still don't have the video driver ready, that might improve performance.

a_varnaliev

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:50 pm

Ok i know that this is not a every day windows 10 desktop version but as i know you can install one universal app and install some background processes.

Now there is 2 questions. Is the windows remote desktop app an universal app. Also can you install app over visual studio or can you do it over the windows store.

This is a great way to create a good and chip thin client.

mikronauts

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:59 pm

Your question has been answered, including by a microsoft rep.

YOU CANNOT RDP FROM a Pi2B running Win10IOT to another computer. PERIOD.

(Until such time as someone writes an universal RDP client)

You can try asking another 1000 different ways, the answer will be the same.

Now if you install Raspbian instead, it is very easy

after installing Raspbian, just open a terminal, and type

sudo apt-get install remmina

Presto! You can RDP to other computers
a_varnaliev wrote:Ok i know that this is not a every day windows 10 desktop version but as i know you can install one universal app and install some background processes.

Now there is 2 questions. Is the windows remote desktop app an universal app. Also can you install app over visual studio or can you do it over the windows store.

This is a great way to create a good and chip thin client.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

mjh_ca

Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:35 am

There is an official RDP client in the Windows Store -- and it is a Universal App. So almost all of the pieces are in place. At some point, assuming Windows 10 IoT gains the ability to install apps from the Windows Store, it may be possible.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/201 ... entmessage

There is a Windows 10 IoT Thin Client edition available for licensing in large volumes to OEMs, so there is already a working RDP client and this is probably it. Dell (Wyse) has a Windows 10 IoT thin client already released and other vendors will be close behind.

However, with respect to installing/testing it on the Raspberry Pi... there is no easy way to install it at the moment since Windows 10 IoT only allows manual install of an Appx file and does not provide access to the Windows Store (and who knows if the RDP client app actually would be fully working, even if you get past these hurdles). It certainly isn't a 'supported' configuration at the moment.

lesvaches

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:56 pm

Official Windows IoT Remote Server client:
https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh5mnxz

tommylux

Mon May 23, 2016 5:41 pm

Been reading this post with interest! Can I ask the opposite question? Can you RDP to a Pi running Windows 10 iot?

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”