boliveruk

Debian Bullseye - when can I upgrade

Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:19 pm

When will the Mac Desktop version be upgradable to Debian Bullseye?

B.Goode

Re: Debian Bullseye - when can I upgrade

Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:23 pm

boliveruk wrote:

Have you seen any commitment from Raspberry Pi that such an upgrade will ever be available in a recommended and supported fashion?

MiscBits

Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:06 pm

Why not run the actual Debian Buster in a VM rather than the Pi desktop?

The GPIO link software can be installed and TBH the Pi desktop is pretty basic...
Is a computer language with goto's totally Wirth-less?

thagrol

Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:05 pm

MiscBits wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:06 pm
Why not run the actual Debian Buster in a VM rather than the Pi desktop?

The GPIO link software can be installed and TBH the Pi desktop is pretty basic...
Err the OP was asking about bullseye not buster. And the x86 version is debian buster with an RPF/RPT "skin". So if you don't want that, install a different desktop.

@OP:

Like many things that come from RPF/RPT the answer is almost certainly "when it's ready". As it's debian with a custom desktop you may be able to use the normal methods to move from one debian main release to the next. Whatever those are.
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

HawaiianPi

Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:46 am

boliveruk wrote:
The "official" position, since way back in the early Raspbian/Raspberry Pi days is this:

Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye for PC and Mac has not been released, and no release date has been announced (it will be ready when it's ready).

In-place upgrades to a newer major release are not officially supported or recommended. It's always recommended to start over with a fresh install of the new OS.

Now all that being said, Debian Linux has released Bullseye. If you want that now you can get it (although not with the RPi desktop). There are also instructions for upgrading Debian from Buster to Bullseye (although I'm not sure if those are officially supported by the Debian devs).

The PC/Mac version of Raspberry Pi OS is just Debian Linux with a customized version of the LXDE GUI (desktop). If you really can't wait to upgrade then installing Debian Bullseye with LXDE should offer a similar experience, and when the Raspberry Pi desktop version is released you can just switch desktops (without reinstalling the entire OS).

Linux is awesome that way. Unlike Windows you are not forced to use a specific graphical user interface and are free to choose among many.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups, and where is that annoying music coming from?

MiscBits

Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:58 pm

thagrol wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:05 pm
Err the OP was asking about bullseye not buster. And the x86 version is debian buster with an RPF/RPT "skin". So if you don't want that, install a different desktop.
My bad - I meant Bullseye but had a real senior moment :oops: :oops: :oops:
Is a computer language with goto's totally Wirth-less?

boliveruk

Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:40 am

Thanks to everyone who replied, especially HawiianPi, I shall check the blog regularly for news. I used this o/s on a repurposed old MacBook, (o/s no longer supported by Apple) and found it great.

kerry_s

Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:13 am

boliveruk wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:40 am
Thanks to everyone who replied, especially HawiianPi, I shall check the blog regularly for news. I used this o/s on a repurposed old MacBook, (o/s no longer supported by Apple) and found it great.
if you want that mac book feel:
https://elementary.io/

just put 0 in custom & download

boliveruk

Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:27 pm

I tried elementary but it run like a dog and so reinstalled raspbian desktop which is the fastest of all my machines, I have a newer MacBook running the latest o/s and it is bloated compared to this MacBook running Debian / Raspbian.
Thanks again for suggestions.

Return to “Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC and Mac”