Wizard451345

Re: RPI4 Direct USB Boot Ubuntu 20.04

Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:44 pm

jsciamms wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:03 pm
Wizard451345 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:18 am
Noob Here.

Just to confirm. Are the images in the Aug 30 is all done and dosen't require any additional setup right?

Thanks.
Yeah, should work without any modification. Just write the image to the drive you want to use, and you should be good to go. I have tested it on a drive at home, and had no problems. If it doesn’t work, I have 2 suggestions.

1) Make sure you are using a firmware image that supports USB booting (step 3 of the original comments, and a note in the most recent update on the original post). You should be updating to the raspberry pi stable EEPROM. I’m not sure if the critical branch supports USB yet. The beta branch should work as well, but could have other problems that prohibits stable booting.

2) Make sure that the USB drive is supported. Or rather, do a google search and see if anyone else has had problems using your USB drive on a raspberry pi. I have used several drives and have not had problems, but people have had problems, even in this forum, with certain drives.

Let me know if you have any issues. Also, if you could report back to certify that the image works, that would be great.
How did you make wlan0 to work. Ifconfig and many others are not available

scaramonga

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:12 am

All works, albeit command line. SSD boot :)

Can some kind soul give me instructions as to edit a file to include my wifi settings (as this is what I think I need) to get the thing connected, so I can install the graphical interface etc, and update?

sudo nano what, where? to enter my connection settings?

Many thx.

jsciamms

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:28 am

Glad to know it worked for you. WiFi is easy to misconfigure. Just double check your configuration. I’ll bet something is off. I have it working without issue.

jsciamms

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:38 am

Ubuntu 20.04 does not use ifconfig. It setup WiFi you need to give netplan the correct information. There are several guides on the web.

https://linuxconfig.org/ubuntu-20-04-co ... mmand-line

That should get you pointed in the right direction.

scaramonga

Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:47 pm

jsciamms wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:38 am
Ubuntu 20.04 does not use ifconfig. It setup WiFi you need to give netplan the correct information. There are several guides on the web.

https://linuxconfig.org/ubuntu-20-04-co ... mmand-line

That should get you pointed in the right direction.
Thx, yeah tried that, but didn't work. All this faffing about, lol, I'll wait till a proper image comes along that boots direct to GUI with SSD boot properly working, instead of this command line to get a connection nonsense. I suppose I could rip it all out and direct connect via Ethernet to my router, but too much hassle.

Thx anyway :)

Wizard451345

Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:02 pm

For me It worked after hours making netplan to work but I finally did it. Installed lubuntu dekstop. No desktop is showing up but I can ssh into it. Looking for solutions

Edit:
I think its because I have a terrible usb stick(bad read write speeds? Took over an hour to Install ubuntu which was only 1 gig). [SanDisk Cruzader Blade 32gb]

jsciamms

Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:09 am

After installing a desktop environment, you would need to start the correct display manager service. Something like:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl start gdm
I don’t really run a desktop environment on the Pi. I use the server environment. Once you get a feel for netplan it’s not so terrible. Bluetooth works too you just need to install a package.

sudo apt install pi-bluetooth 
Everything works great as a server image.

Just to be clear, there will not likely be an Ubuntu image for the raspberry pi released with a GUI. The pi, even the pi4 with 4gb ram, is decent at best with a GUI. There is a reason Canonical only releases server images for the pi. A server image is a proper image. If you want a desktop environment, it will likely be Ubuntu mate.

Wizard451345

Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:48 am

sudo systemctl start gdm
This is why the screen is not displaying with a no signal. Starting it makes the HDMI lose its signal.
Stopping gdm sends it back to terminal.
I will do Ubuntu Mate next week or the week after, need to focus on my studies since I'm a student.

Calculus :(

jsciamms

Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:17 am

I hear you. Cyber security for me, but I do enjoy it.

I have not used an Ubuntu Mate image, but I’m not sure that USB boot is supported. You may still need to follow this guide after you flash the Mate image to your USB drive, that is if you still plan to boot USB SSD.

Wizard451345

Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:33 am

jsciamms wrote:

I have not used an Ubuntu Mate image, but I’m not sure that USB boot is supported. You may still need to follow this guide after you flash the Mate image to your USB drive, that is if you still plan to boot USB SSD.
Yep. Ubuntu Mate is not supported for USB Boot, but also Ubuntu ;) ...well available unofficially. They probably will do it soon, as it was on their to do list just like ubuntu, so hopefully in a few months or sooner.

Regardless, Thanks for all your help. :D

jsciamms

Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:25 am

Wizard451345 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:33 am
jsciamms wrote:

Yep. Ubuntu Mate is not supported for USB Boot, but also Ubuntu ;) ...well available unofficially. They probably will do it soon, as it was on their to do list just like ubuntu, so hopefully in a few months or sooner.

Regardless, Thanks for all your help. :D
I have an image for Mate if you are interested. I have also updated the original post to include the link.
https://mega.nz/file/nFlhxJiT#ejmbPr7mw ... jNhAyY1EU

scaramonga

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:15 am

jsciamms wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:25 am
I have an image for Mate if you are interested. I have also updated the original post to include the link.
Interesting, thx. Any reason as to why it's 5.6Gb?

Will test and report back.

jsciamms

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:27 am

I am pretty sure that is the size of the uncompressed Mate image. I just didn't compress it prior to upload. Let me know if it works for you. I downloaded the image I uploaded for testing and had no issue.

MrMoGoes

Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:38 pm

Is there a torrent source of this image? It stops downloading due to Mega's "free" size limitation.

jsciamms

Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:20 pm

Oh... I didn’t know that was a thing. Sorry. When I get home this evening, I will re-upload a compressed version.

Bvalvik

Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:08 pm

You mentioned that you provided an updated image in July. From what step shall I continue the installation? My SSD drive is physically connected to my Pi4 so I really cannot burn the image to it the same way I do a SD card.

TY,

Bill

jsciamms

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:21 pm

jsciamms wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:20 pm
Oh... I didn’t know that was a thing. Sorry. When I get home this evening, I will re-upload a compressed version.
I have added a compressed file to the Mega share and added the links to an update in the original post.

jsciamms

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:28 pm

Bvalvik wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:08 pm
You mentioned that you provided an updated image in July. From what step shall I continue the installation? My SSD drive is physically connected to my Pi4 so I really cannot burn the image to it the same way I do a SD card.

TY,

Bill
You will need to write the image in some way to your SSD. Your SSD should still be attached via USB to the raspberry pi, so if you can find a way to attach that usb cable to the computer, that would be the best. You could also write it to a smaller USB stick/SD Card, boot from the USB stick/SD, attach your SSD after boot, and finally, use dd to copy the image from the USB stick to the SSD.

You would use a command similar to:

dd if=/dev/sda of=dev/sdb
Where /dev/sda is your usb stick and /dev/sdb is you SSD. You would need to find out their actual device paths though. You would also need to do a resize of your partition to use the full size of the SSD.

If there is any way to get the pi closer to the computer and attach the SSD though, that will be the easiest way to get a pre-built image.

jsciamms

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:43 am

An openSUSE installation USB can be created quite easily. You will also need a second USB drive onto which you will install the OS.

After writing the installation ISO image (https://software.opensuse.org/distributions/leap) to a USB stick, replace the following files on the boot partition (~9 MB) with the corresponding files form the Raspberry Pi GitHub repository in the firmware/boot section (https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot):

• fixup.dat
  • fixup4.dat
  • start.elf
  • start4.elf
Once completed, stick the USB drive with the install image into the Raspberry Pi, and let it boot to the installer. At that point, attach the second USB drive (SSD or other USB drive) that you wish to install to, and complete the installation.

After install, you will need to attach the drive containing the newly installed openSUSE OS and copy the firmware files ( *.dat and *.elf files from the Raspberry Pi firmware/boot GitHub page, same as above) and over-write the one one the boot partition. I'm not sure how to get past this step at the moment. I installed the gnome and KDE environments. It is not super fast, but it seems to work well enough. I am sure a few tweaks to drivers and other OS settings could improve performance. It is also worth a note that the audio does not currently work with openSUSE. This is also noted on the openSUSE website.

If you figure out what tweaks can improve performance, let us know.

A link to a working image of the installation USB has been added here and to the initial post.

https://mega.nz/file/zNNklQSC#acFBMaYmz ... lTmR6pJeWs

I have not been able to create a successful live image that boots from USB.

saarsa

Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi I'm pretty new and I did not really understand how to do the process
Is there a video explaining the process?
I want to run ubuntu core from usb if it's possible

sebstr

Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:47 pm

jsciamms wrote:
Glad to know it worked for you. WiFi is easy to misconfigure. Just double check your configuration. I’ll bet something is off. I have it working without issue.
Hi, first of all, I thank you for this guide. I dont think I would have figured it out by myself.

I got Ubuntu 20.04 booting from ssd without sdcard following this guide. However I am unable to figure out what I need to do to keep it working while rebooting. I need to redo vmlinx and creating scripts if rebooting the pi.

What do I need to do on what disc? I can mount "system-boot" and "writeable" on my linux pc by usb. System boot contains config.txt and writeable contains the etc folder and more.

xyzulu

Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:24 pm

sebstr wrote:
jsciamms wrote:
What do I need to do on what disc? I can mount "system-boot" and "writeable" on my linux pc by usb. System boot contains config.txt and writeable contains the etc folder and more.
It's all explained in the first post of this thread.

sebstr

Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:23 pm

xyzulu wrote:
sebstr wrote:
jsciamms wrote:
Yea well thanks, I followed all those steps multiple times and Im apparently doing something wrong. Idk what it is

lynnejohn

Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:44 pm

I'd like to add my thanks for an excellent thread that works well. I had a working image that was a Ubuntu 20.04 server with the Ubuntu Mate desktop layered on top. I took my compressed backup image put it on a USB drive and modified the boot partition(new firmware files, un-compressing the kernel and modifying the config.txt.) When I booted it I found that the screen did not fill the monitor and Ubuntu actually recognized the Viewsonic display(it had been unknown before.) After a bit of digging I added this line to the config.txt file just under the max_framebuffers=2:

hdmi_group=2
I'm guessing the new firmware files were the reason as that was technically the only real change between images. Everything works well and Ubuntu Mate now knows my display.

Thanks again

jsciamms

Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:10 pm

sebstr wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:23 pm
xyzulu wrote:
sebstr wrote:

Yea well thanks, I followed all those steps multiple times and Im apparently doing something wrong. Idk what it is
We will need a bit more information than that to help. You could also use the pre-built image directly if you are still having problems.

To help you, we need information about what is going wrong. What information is presented during boot? Just saying it doesn’t work and I don’t know why is the same as not saying anything at all.

What have you done to try to fix the problem? Does it start to boot at all? Have you tried the images that I posted?

Please reply back with more details and we can try to help you out. The instructions should get you to a working image, so if something is not working, it is likely that a step was not followed.

Return to “Ubuntu”