Frank the german
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 am

Connecting a live feed to a tablet as a monitor via Bluetooth

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:22 pm

First of all, sorry if this question has been asked before. I had a brief look but couldn't really find an answer.
Is it possible to connect a tablet as a monitor for a Rpi 400 via Bluetooth? I'm trying to solve a cable problem and was hoping there is a way of doing this somehow... Any help would be much appreciated

User avatar
thagrol
Posts: 5791
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Darkest Somerset, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Connecting a live feed to a tablet as a monitor via Bluetooth

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:49 pm

This is speculative but:
  • Bluetooth supports a PAN profile (Personal Area Network)
  • Once configured that allow you to run TCP/UDP over bluetooth.
  • That, in turn, allows you to run VNC, X11, etc.
Please don't ask me for details, I've not used bluetooth on Pi or linux.
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 3614
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: Connecting a live feed to a tablet as a monitor via Bluetooth

Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:10 am

Frank the german wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:22 pm
First of all, sorry if this question has been asked before. I had a brief look but couldn't really find an answer.
Is it possible to connect a tablet as a monitor for a Rpi 400 via Bluetooth? I'm trying to solve a cable problem and was hoping there is a way of doing this somehow... Any help would be much appreciated
what's wrong with WiFi+VNC?

Frank the german
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 am

Re: Connecting a live feed to a tablet as a monitor via Bluetooth

Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:59 am

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:10 am
Frank the german wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:22 pm
First of all, sorry if this question has been asked before. I had a brief look but couldn't really find an answer.
Is it possible to connect a tablet as a monitor for a Rpi 400 via Bluetooth? I'm trying to solve a cable problem and was hoping there is a way of doing this somehow... Any help would be much appreciated
what's wrong with WiFi+VNC?
Wifi +VNC basically nothing for home use. I'm trying to experiment with this for work. And there it becomes a problem as IT admin is very particular when it comes to security. That's where my problem lies. I'm trying to slimline my outfit to a point that i literally just need to take my Rpi 400 as a head unit (hooked up to my mobile) and would be able to supply other small tablets/ ipads with short video sequences and stills (mainly stills and whatever i type on my screen)

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 3614
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: Connecting a live feed to a tablet as a monitor via Bluetooth

Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:25 pm

Frank the german wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:59 am
aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:10 am
Frank the german wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:22 pm
First of all, sorry if this question has been asked before. I had a brief look but couldn't really find an answer.
Is it possible to connect a tablet as a monitor for a Rpi 400 via Bluetooth? I'm trying to solve a cable problem and was hoping there is a way of doing this somehow... Any help would be much appreciated
what's wrong with WiFi+VNC?
Wifi +VNC basically nothing for home use. I'm trying to experiment with this for work. And there it becomes a problem as IT admin is very particular when it comes to security. That's where my problem lies. I'm trying to slimline my outfit to a point that i literally just need to take my Rpi 400 as a head unit (hooked up to my mobile) and would be able to supply other small tablets/ ipads with short video sequences and stills (mainly stills and whatever i type on my screen)
hooked up to your mobile by BT? And how to connect to other devices?
Why not configure your Pi400 as hotspot and let the other devices connect via Wifi for file share, i.e.? Your mobile connects to the Pi400 via LAN adapter. Such a unit would be not connected to your 'company network' at all.
viewtopic.php?p=1025385#p1025385 shows a tablet as screen, connected via OTG LAN

drgeoff
Posts: 12239
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Connecting a live feed to a tablet as a monitor via Bluetooth

Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:50 pm

Depending on the type and quality of video you may discover that Bluetooth cannot provide the necessary bit rate.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Frank the german
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 am

Re: Connecting a live feed to a tablet as a monitor via Bluetooth

Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:53 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:25 pm
Frank the german wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:59 am
aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:10 am


what's wrong with WiFi+VNC?
Wifi +VNC basically nothing for home use. I'm trying to experiment with this for work. And there it becomes a problem as IT admin is very particular when it comes to security. That's where my problem lies. I'm trying to slimline my outfit to a point that i literally just need to take my Rpi 400 as a head unit (hooked up to my mobile) and would be able to supply other small tablets/ ipads with short video sequences and stills (mainly stills and whatever i type on my screen)
hooked up to your mobile by BT? And how to connect to other devices?
Why not configure your Pi400 as hotspot and let the other devices connect via Wifi for file share, i.e.? Your mobile connects to the Pi400 via LAN adapter. Such a unit would be not connected to your 'company network' at all.
viewtopic.php?p=1025385#p1025385 shows a tablet as screen, connected via OTG LAN
Well i tried and failed miserably. The whole building is akin to a Faraday cage and just doesn't let anything in. Most of us have even problems to get a reasonable signal strength on our mobiles. As far as my Wifi attempt via LAN is concerned, i spent a lot of time waiting for my mobile to re-connect... So back to the former question unfortunately...

Frank the german
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 am

Re: Connecting a live feed to a tablet as a monitor via Bluetooth

Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:54 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:50 pm
Depending on the type and quality of video you may discover that Bluetooth cannot provide the necessary bit rate.
How about written content/images alone? I know i'm asking a lot, i'm experimenting at the moment and am trying to get some ideas...

Return to “Raspberry Pi 400”