NinjaMig21 wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:41 pm
I've been running Pi 400 for a few days now. It's my first RPi ever, so here are some impressions from a new user.
- Build quality is very nice for a low cost piece of hardware like this. Keyboard is not perfect, mouse is cheap, but both usable.
- Performance is good enough for light desktop use. I use it for web browsing, learning Scratch with the kid etc. It's not an 8 core ryzen, but in general it's running OK with a stock Raspberry pi OS. I've tried Ubuntu mate and Twister OS, but I like the stock OS. I was surprised how well the 4GB version performs, I almost never go over 2.5GB of ram usage.
- Mine is running overclocked to 2200 cpu, 750 gpu without any problems or overheating. Temps stay well below 70 C even after long periods of high load. If you, for some reason, want to improve the thermals, there should be space for a slim fan inside. With some soldering and a qucik dremel job, you could improve the airflow of the case. But I really don't see the reason to do so.
- My Pi is always on, connected to ethernet. I run it from 2,5" 120GB SATA SSD and I have another 1TB HDD connected to it. With overclock and both drives connected i didn't notice any power issues, so the stock power supply looks decent.
- I run Plex server on it. Works great for 1080p direct play. Haven't really tried transcoding or doing multiple streams, but this could be a great addition for a living room, running Plex and emulators. I know the regular RPi is smaller and could do the same thing.
- I haven't opened it yet, but I've seen some videos and I think it may be possible to squeeze an internal M.2 drive in there. I already have the usb to m.2 adapter and I am waiting for the SSD to arrive.
- Mini HDMI ports don't bother me at all. I do miss the 3.5mm audio jack and media keys on the keyboard (at least volume up/down/mute). It was PITA to set up triggerhappy for someone who is not very familiar with linux.
Overall, a great little machine. I am trying to think of reasons why I need a few more