Tronetix

Re: Mechanical Profile - 3D models

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:30 am

I realized the Sketchup 3D model floating around the web appears to be off 4mm in several locations. Due to no mounting holes provided, mechanical packaing will be a bit rough and 4mm tolerance isn"t too tolerable.

Using the following "official" dimension drawing, I recreated the models in AP214 STEP, Solidworks, Alibre2012, DXF, 3D PDF . Download from http://www.tronetix.com/joomla.....p/projects

If anyone has an update, please let me know ASAP so I can update all the models.

SN

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:13 am

Is there any chance of a re-export to Sketchup Format (or 3DS or Wavefront Obj) ?
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Tronetix

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:50 am

I added Wavefront.obj and 3D-Studio.3ds files to the Tronetix website. I do not have any way of importing into Sketchup, but, perhaps someone taking the dimension drawing could manually update and also fix the connector and plugin parts.

SN

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Many thanks!

Sketchup can import 3DS

But I notice the OBJ & 3DS versions are pure mesh only, all the object structure / texture maps have gone...
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

jbanks6424

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:08 pm

There are slight differences in the model you have available and the one Marco Alici made:

Me and the RaspberryPi /1

I made an assembly and overlaid one model on the other. I am attaching an image highlighting the differences.

The biggest difference is the RCA video output. Yours shows the connector set back slightly from the board edge. It does look like his assembly has the connector "recessed" into the PCB.

The other difference is the USB connector placement is slightly different.

I should probably go look at Gert"s dimensions and see which one is closer. Maybe someone else can chime in.

UPDATE: I went and looked at Gert's dimensions and it does appear the model that is available in this thread is more accurate.

Gert measures 4mm from the PCB to the bottom of the RCA connector. This model measures in at 3.9243 according to my calculations.

Gert also shows the RCA connector to be 2.1mm back from the edge of the board and that is what this one measures.

Tronetix

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:18 pm

SN: Yes. Those would be mesh only. I only work with Solid models in a parametric environment where all the data and parts are and engineering updates are quick and instantaneous. Surface meshes are not too handy. I have not yet found a suitable Solid to Sketchup export yet. Perhaps someone with the Pro version of Sketchup has access to STEP import. Then the parts would import better, yet still be surface models.The whole point was to create a data model people could embed as an assembly part into their enclosure designs for accurate interference checks, engineering and quick changes.

BTW, I'm still waiting for Raspberry folks to officially 'bless' the dims. Apparently, the Rev A and Rev B board profile and connectors have some differences and there is a cloud of doubt as to actual dimensions since some data online refers to Rev A, and other to Rev B. So, use these files at your own risk, but, I suspect I'll be updating them again soon.

jbanks:  Thanks for doing some checking. As long as the 'original dimensions' image I have is correct, (which I believe came from Gert but I don't know for certain if it refers to Rev A or B) the models should be pretty well good to go atleast until people start receiving populated boards.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:09 pm

The only different Model A to B is the A does not have the ethernet connectors, and the USB connector is not as tall. I think all else is the same. Since no Model A's have been built though, that may change.

I posted the dimensions of a production board in the comments somewhere.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

jbanks6424

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:36 pm

It would be great if the dimensions of a production board could make it into the FAQ!

I have searched and can find the dimensions you posted.

jamesh

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:49 pm

FYI, All measures with a rather primitive ruler, but accurate to within approx 0.5mm

Model B board is 84.5mm x 55mm x 20mm (height is bottom of sd card to top of USB)

Connectors extend as follows :

SD card +17mm
Composite +7mm
Audio +3.8mm
USB +7.5mm
Ethernet +1mm
HDMI +1mm

Tronetix

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:52 pm

JamesH,

If you have access to the PCB Layout tool used with Raspberry B, it would be best to export an IDF file of it. DXF at the minimum. Just about every PCB tool has IDF out. IDF would provide the nominal x-y placement coordinates, profile, all holes and part height/bounding geometry and with it, I can quickly create an accurate 3D mechanical model. The CSI/DSI connectors too need coordinates for any potential cover to accommodate them. Would not be good to try and design any enclosure without having exact data to engineer necessary tolerances to when we are talking about +/- .5mm or 1mm . Not enough meat on the card edges for error.

jamesh

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:38 am

Tronetix said:

JamesH,

If you have access to the PCB Layout tool used with Raspberry B, it would be best to export an IDF file of it. DXF at the minimum. Just about every PCB tool has IDF out. IDF would provide the nominal x-y placement coordinates, profile, all holes and part height/bounding geometry and with it, I can quickly create an accurate 3D mechanical model. The CSI/DSI connectors too need coordinates for any potential cover to accommodate them. Would not be good to try and design any enclosure without having exact data to engineer necessary tolerances to when we are talking about +/- .5mm or 1mm . Not enough meat on the card edges for error.

I don't have access to the tool. I know nothing about that sort of thing. But I did have a production board in my hands and a ruler...

jbanks6424

Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:40 pm

Has anyone who has received their PI confirmed the dimensions in this model are good? I read somebody noticed their PI was .17mm wider than anticipated.

I was looking to move ahead with my 20ga steel sheet metal enclosure for the PI.

Hopefully my PI will arrive soon.

On another note. Someone ordered several of a plastic clip I designed an put on shapeways for the PI.  Unfortunately shapeways doesn't tell me who. I would love to hear what they are doing with them. Here's a link:

http://www.shapeways.com/model.....-2pcs.html

AshSmall

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi.

You stated at the beginning of this thread that you have created a .dxf file.

I don't seem to be able to find it.

Can you please direct me to it's location.

Thanks.

AndrewS

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:53 am

There's this http://elinux.org/RPi_Hub#R-Pi_Model_B_3D_CAD_files but I dunno how easy/hard it is to convert any of those formats to DXF.

AshSmall

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:48 am

AndrewS wrote:There's this http://elinux.org/RPi_Hub#R-Pi_Model_B_3D_CAD_files but I dunno how easy/hard it is to convert any of those formats to DXF.
Yes, I've already downloaded those, and was unable to open any except the .pdf file in Tronetix' post above.

Tronetix does state that he has posted a .dxf file, but I've still not been able to locate it.

I'm currently working from the .pdf file to produce my own .dxf (Drawing Exchange Format) file, while waiting for my Pi to arrive, but it would be a lot easier to design an enclosure if I could locate the .dxf file Tronetix says he has uploaded.

AnalogArsonist

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:57 am

Anyone have luck finding a 2D/3D DXF/IDF file of the pi? Looking for something to import into Mentor.

Thanks, Ben

lederer.ca

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:59 pm

I've created a DXF for all views based off of the Pro/E model provided in a previous post. It can be found here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-dTJx ... zNJRFJqeWs

In regards to the board being .17mm wider than anticipated. The tolerance on manufactured PCBs is usually 10 - 20% of the artwork.

Best Regards,

AndrewS

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:20 am

lederer.ca wrote:I've created a DXF for all views based off of the Pro/E model provided in a previous post. It can be found here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-dTJx ... zNJRFJqeWs
Nice!
The SD card connector is in completely the wrong place though (is that why it's purple?), and it's also the wrong type of SD card connector (the one on the Pi is only half-length).
And comparing your diagrams to my Pi, on the real Pi the RCA video connector is offset further back from the PCB edge (towards the center of the PCB).

lederer.ca

Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:08 pm

The SD card connector is in completely the wrong place though (is that why it's purple?), and it's also the wrong type of SD card connector (the one on the Pi is only half-length).
And comparing your diagrams to my Pi, on the real Pi the RCA video connector is offset further back from the PCB edge (towards the center of the PCB).
The .dxf was generated from a model from a previous post so I take no responsibility for it's correctness. If you could provide a location of a proper layout that I could view in Mentor, Eagle, etc. I can update the parts and locations. In short, the SD card is purple because of the file format that it was imported as.

hao

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:48 pm

Really appreciate all the works here.

Very useful!

PhaTz

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:26 pm

There have been 3 major revisions in R-Pi.. Yet I see no mention as to which version of R-Pi is posted for Mechanical Download.

Am I to understand that "no mechanical changes have occurred" over the 3 revisions ?

Please respond to ron_cnxt@yahoo.com

I am planning on modeling R-Pi 3 B in Pro/Engineer CREO v1.0..

Thank you..

-Ron

Return to “General discussion”