feverish

Wireless keyboard not working

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:02 am

Using Raspbian now but previously also with Squeezy, my RasPi's USB microsoft wireless keyboard 800 repeats characters and is unusable. A different wired keyboard works OK. The microsoft wireless mouse 1000 working into the same USB dongle works reasonably well b ut with a few occasional glitches. The Microsoft keyboard works fine on a windows PC, I suspect it may be a sensitivity or driver problem but don't have a clue how to check or cure. Any suggestion gratefully received.
If discrimination is not challenged then we are effectively in collusion with the perpetrators of such behaviour:-Oxford dictionaries

redhawk

Re: Wireless keyboard not working

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:59 am

The USB ports are underpowered for certain devices such as Wifi dongles it's possible you wireless keyboard is experiencing the same problems.
The solution is to either get a external powered USB hub or (like I've done) modify a USB extension cable to provide external 5v support to the USB device without sending this to the PI.

Richard S.

feverish

Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, it didn't work here.. Everything else I connected to either USB port did work, so it begins to look as though there may be some incompatibility in the driver between the Microsoft dongle and the Raspi's USB handler. Is anyone else using the Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 800, please? I see that particular keyboard doesn't figure on the keyboard config setup.
If discrimination is not challenged then we are effectively in collusion with the perpetrators of such behaviour:-Oxford dictionaries

zandak

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:10 pm

I have exactly the same problem with my wireless Microsoft keyboard and mouse. It would be very nice to get them working so if anyone has any ideas.........
Shortly I'll be trying a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combination and I expect to have all sorts of fun setting it up. Shame there is not a "Bluetooth How To..."guide (but I understand one is coming soon).

If I get anything working I'll report it here.

Kevin

feverish

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:21 am

Great! I'll look forward to what you discover. I'm busy trying to learn debian linux but its proving to be a steep learning curve.

tapsboy

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:58 pm

I am having similar problems with my Microsoft Keyboard/Mouse. I will check back the exact models.

They work fine on Win 7/Win XP and Ubuntu on my laptop, but I get the following issues

1) RF dongles of both devices need to be plugged in to use them both (not the case with my laptop. I just need to plug in either one and they work fine)
2) Repetition of characters typed on keyboard, when both RF dongles are plugged in. Infact, I have to hit ESC or Ctrl + C to stop them. If just the keyboard dongle is plugged in, it works fine.
3) Mouse pointer behaving gr8 and double-clicks to open apps on GUI are not always registered.

I will try using a powered USB charger

P.S: I am powering the Pi with a 1.5 Amp 5 V Micro-USB charger

tapsboy

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Here are the models I am using:

Microsoft Arc Wireless Keyboard for PC and Xbox 360
Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000

feverish

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:15 pm

I only have one dongle for both keyboard 800 and mouse 1000, they came new in the same box.

deadgoose

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:31 pm

Slightly OT, other than the known issue of USB power. I had trouble with a Microsoft wired keyboard not "mapping" correctly, even with the RPi initialization program under Wheezy. Wanting a smaller keyboard, I got one of the A4Tech "mini" keyboards through Amazon. Interestingly enough, it not only mapped correctly, but some of the "missing characters," such as | showed up correctly.

/paul W3FIS

zandak

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:58 pm

mmm interesting.

I am now awaiting a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo and a powered USB hub. I'll try the various combinations with the "squeeze" image and transfer the knowledge gained to the "wheezy" image, if possible. Hopefully, the next couple of days should see some progress (or not) that I'll report here.

Kevin

zandak

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:42 pm

OK - I now have a Logitech mk260 wireless mouse/keyboard/USB dongle combo. (These don't seem to be "Bluetooth" devices as there are no references to that anywhere on them or the packaging.)

The Logitech kit seems to work fine with the Squeeze and Wheezy images on initial tests. That's with the wireless dongle plugged into one of the the RasPi USB ports. (powered hub hasn't arrived yet)

At least I now have some reliable input devices without trailing cables. I hope that this information is useful to someone.

The junk box has a "Bluetooth" USB dongle and some devices so I'll see if I can configure any of them for use and report back.

Good luck all.

Kevin

Decapod

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:10 am

Pi arrived about an hour ago...

Microsoft Wireless 800 kb and mouse - exactly the same problem here.
Judging from the number of times this has happened, it's not a power problem.

Time to look for a new driver.

Paul

feverish

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:48 am

Good confirmation. Do we expecdt Raspi to contact microsoft on behalf of Raspi or what is the protocol?

donde

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:46 pm

Here is a wireless keyboard with onboard mouse pad that works perfectly.
The Logitech K400 "Wireless Touch Kedyboard". I just received it yesterday. Plug and Play for sure. AA batteries come with it. Just remove the insulating paper from battery compartment, and plug in the tiny wi-fi gadget into one USB port of the R-Pi, and you're on the air.No drivers needed. Using latest Raspbian for the Pi.

RoGeorge

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:27 pm

"Wireless Desktop PADLESS 8200F" mouse + keyboard pack from A4TECH, also NOT working.

Before starting the graphical interface, it works. After startx, about one in three key pressed are missing and other are repeated until any key is pressed again. The mouse have some glitches and some of the clicks are missed too. With the graphic interface started, it's unusable. After logout from X, it comes to normal. Tested with 3 different power sources (4.5V, 5V and 5.25V - max 4.9V measured on the USB pins).

I have no other USB keyboard to test, so I just hope for a software miracle. :roll:

itimpi

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:37 pm

This is a classic symptom of power related problems.

Ideally you should try and use a powered hub to avoid this issue.

Another possibility is to replace the polyfuses near the USB ports (F1/F2) with zero-ohm links. THis mod is included in the new revision of the Pi board and is meant to help with power issues on the USB ports. Whether it will help with your problem or not I am not sure.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:52 pm

RoGeorge wrote:I have no other USB keyboard to test, so I just hope for a software miracle. :roll:
Have you tried updating firmware?
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... g_firmware

amyren

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:16 am

I have the Microsoft wireless keyb/mouse 700. It comes with a rather big dongle, almost the same size as the mouse. This keyboard work ok on raspian wheezy, and inside xbmc. I have seen some cases of repeating charecters, but not often.
However I hate that keyboard, due its low range that is around 1metre. It annoys me, because I might as well have wired keyboard it it have to be that close anyway. And the dongle does not work good on the internal usb ports, I must use a powered usb hub for it.

Another keyboard I have is the logitech diNovo mini. This is a cool keyboard with good range. But with this keyboard I get repeating keys a bit more often than with the microsoft one. And it does not work well with xbmc. After launching xbmc, the keyboard works for a minute or so, then it stops responding. Another issue with this keyboard is that it doesnt have any F keys.

I am glad to see one user here reporting that his logitech k400 works well, because I have ordred one myself and should be arriving soon. I just hope that this will work better within xbmc.

thsBavR10

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:39 am

amyren wrote: I am glad to see one user here reporting that his logitech k400 works well, because I have ordred one myself and should be arriving soon. I just hope that this will work better within xbmc.
Currently there is a discussion ongoing about problems with K400 and actual firmware/kernel.
Please visit http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=16307
support will be helpful.

RoGeorge

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:29 pm

itimpi wrote:This is a classic symptom of power related problems.
Now, I have 5.05V on USB connector, no fuses, extra ESR capacitors and wire wrap shunt from D17 +5V0 to USB +5V0.
  • - I tried yesterday 3 different power sources, 2 SMPS max. 2A and the last one is a very reliable and very stiff 5.25V max. 3A analog stabilizer (with a huge old style 220V AC transformer). Not working.
    - Then soldered wire wrap over all 3 fuses. Still not working.
    - Then added some low ESR capacitors, 470uF parallel C6 and 47uF parallel with USB power terminals. Same, not working.
    - Then put 2 wire wrap directly from C6 to +5V USB connector. Still no improvement.
On the micro USB cable 0.2V are lost.

dom wrote:Have you tried updating firmware?
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... g_firmware
Thank you for the link, didn't knew about it. I'll take a look tomorrow.

pandron

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:46 am

Same problem here. I'm using a Dell KM632 wireless keyboard with wireless mouse, and it is completely unusable due to the keys repeating. I'm considering getting one of those Logitech K400 keyboards mentioned...

fitz318is

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:27 am

Same here on an MS 800 keyboard and a rev b pi and mint 13 desktop.

Anyone tried in a powered hub?

feverish

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:12 am

yes, it may help if you read the previous posts

fitz318is

Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:59 am

In which post are you referring? I did read the one about the logitech keyboard and the driver differences in the kernels. The solution for one person was command line args. I must admin I dont understand what they do.

I did try a powered hub with no change. I checked the usb connector and its 5v at 50ma, not really pulling a whole lot of power.

My power supply if from my Blackberry playbook which is 5v at 1800ma so I should be feeding it enough.

When the pi was booting, I did see a message fly by RE the ms keyboard. Are boot messages logged somewhere?

feverish

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:03 am

My response to your previous message was in respect of using a powered hub. Sorry, I have no reliable data to help you with the other points you now raise.

Return to “Beginners”