OnDek_27

Wifi Setup on Debian Wheezy

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:15 am

Hi, I just got over the problem of installing Debian onto my SD card, and then I ran into another problem soon after. It turns out that there is no Wifi Config like there is on Raspbian, and I've looked for what to do to enable internet access, yet I can't find anything. Any help is appreciated, as always. Thanks!

MrEngman

Re: Wifi Setup on Debian Wheezy

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:57 pm

I'm assuming you are using image 2012-08-08-wheezy-armel

If your wifi adapter already has the driver installed it may be sufficient to just edit the file /etc/network/interfaces to get it working. If the file already contains any reference to wlan0 then be careful. Make a backup and then delete the current reference and then continue on.

For a network using WPA/WPA2 security add lines

Code: Select all

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "NETWORK NAME"
wpa-psk "NETWORK PASSWORD"
Include quotation marks around Name and Password

For a network using WEP security add lines

Code: Select all

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid NETWORK_NAME
wireless-key NETWORK_PASSWORD
No quotation marks

There is a whole load of stuff in the wiki about installing a range of adapters. Take a look here http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... i_Adapters

Mrengman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

coto2448

Sat May 23, 2015 3:14 pm

Hello there,

I appreciate the help, i am using wep so i used the last option. But now i get "could not get status from wpa_supplicant", also should connect a rj45 ethernet to the pi while attempting this or just the wireless dongle by itself is sufficient? or both? noob here, please help thanks!

MrEngman

Sat May 23, 2015 3:50 pm

coto2448 wrote:Hello there,

I appreciate the help, i am using wep so i used the last option. But now i get "could not get status from wpa_supplicant", also should connect a rj45 ethernet to the pi while attempting this or just the wireless dongle by itself is sufficient? or both? noob here, please help thanks!
Instead of using a 2 year old topic start a new topic. Not a good idea using info from old topics as things keep changing.

Sounds like you are trying to set up you wifi using the X window GUI. If you are you should not have changed the /etc/network/interfaces file from its default setting. Set it back to how it was before you changed it and try again.

If you have a display and keyboard connected you do not need any thing else connected except your wifi dongle.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Return to “Beginners”