Rolandtwilt

remove or add usb

Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:49 am

every time I remove or add a usb device the pi freezes and I can do nothing but pull the plug and plug it in again.
Can anything be done about this?

B.Goode

Re: remove or add usb

Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:58 am

Rolandtwilt wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:49 am
every time I remove or add a usb device the pi freezes and I can do nothing but pull the plug and plug it in again.
Can anything be done about this?

Yes. Shutdown and power off the RPi before adding or removing a usb device.

Knowledge of what model of RPi board, Operating System and usb device might provide more focussed replies.

bjtheone

Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:57 pm

Adding correctly functioning usb storage will not "freeze" a correctly configured and functioning Pi, unless you exceed the available power. For example I routinely connect and disconnect USB data sticks, SSDs, and 2.5" hard drives without any issues, on my "desktop" 4B. It is a good idea to eject (unmount the file system) before removing to ensure that caches writes are properly flushed to avoid corrupting the device, but even if you do not the Pi should not freeze.

As noted, more information about the model of PI, the OS, the configuration, the device that is causing the issue, and any other devices you have connected will likely produce more useful responses.

The other point to raise is that "pulling the power" is going to bite you at some point, resulting in a corrupted SD card. If you are lucky fsck will repair it. If you are unlucky it will not boot and you will be creating a new OS install.

Rolandtwilt

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:38 pm

Thank you for your advice. One more question: what should I do "to eject (unmount the file system) before removing"?

B.Goode

Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:50 pm

Rolandtwilt wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:38 pm
Thank you for your advice. One more question: what should I do "to eject (unmount the file system) before removing"?

Depending on your unspecified Operating System, there might be an Icon on the GUI Desktop; there might be an option in the File Manager; or you could umount the device from a shell (CLI/Terminal) prompt.

Return to “Troubleshooting”