cnx50300

Re: usb AND wifi connectivity problem with Pi Zero WH

Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:01 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:46 pm
Then avoid using crap quality micro USB cables. I don't have any trouble using my Pi0W in USB-Ethernet gadget mode. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I agree the cable probably is crap. It usually doesn't matter so much because devices have a battery to supply and charge instead of directly powering devices, so one does not notice such cables because they work with other devices.

But I am a bit disappointed that @jamesh responded the way he did. It would be an easy and logical fix to increase C1 for the 'W' and make it more stable in corner cases like these. Mind you, for myself I now know about the issue and can deal with it. But I bet there will be another user with another crappy cable that will loose hours of his lifetime over the same avoidable issue.

thagrol

Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:05 am

cnx50300 wrote:
But I am a bit disappointed that @jamesh responded the way he did. It would be an easy and logical fix to increase C1 for the 'W' and make it more stable in corner cases like these.
Except it isn't. Logical maybe but not easy. It's almost certainly not as simple as putting a different component reel into the pick and place machine.

Documentaion changes; design changes; changes in the supply chain to source a new component; changes in the price of the component; changes to the QA & test procedures; and, potentially, recertification especially if that cap is there to meet EMF/RFI/USB standards.

None of that is insurmountable but it all adds cost and AIUI the margin on the zero range is already razor thin. So almost certainly not worth doing for an edge case.

CYA: I do not work for or speak for RPF/RPTL The above is my personal opinion and based on my personal understanding and experience. It may very weel be wrong.
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

DougieLawson

Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:47 am

cnx50300 wrote:
But I bet there will be another user with another crappy cable that will loose hours of his lifetime over the same avoidable issue.
There's no evidence of that happening because you're one of a very few folks who've ever posted about the Zero with USB and WiFi on here. You are in a group with one member.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on Twitter/LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:34 am

thagrol wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:05 am
cnx50300 wrote:
But I am a bit disappointed that @jamesh responded the way he did. It would be an easy and logical fix to increase C1 for the 'W' and make it more stable in corner cases like these.
Except it isn't. Logical maybe but not easy. It's almost certainly not as simple as putting a different component reel into the pick and place machine.

Documentaion changes; design changes; changes in the supply chain to source a new component; changes in the price of the component; changes to the QA & test procedures; and, potentially, recertification especially if that cap is there to meet EMF/RFI/USB standards.

None of that is insurmountable but it all adds cost and AIUI the margin on the zero range is already razor thin. So almost certainly not worth doing for an edge case.

CYA: I do not work for or speak for RPF/RPTL The above is my personal opinion and based on my personal understanding and experience. It may very weel be wrong.
It's a very accurate personal opinion!

There's no such thing as a "simple" change when you are talking hardware that has undergone all sort of testing and certification. That said, the HW guy has read this thread after I pointed it out. That may result in fixes in future products, or it may not.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

Return to “Troubleshooting”