mincepi

bootloader corrupt

Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:34 pm

Hello,

I regularly use the 'check for updates' item in the add/remove software tool (under preferences). I was amazed when I did it a day ago to find I had a 9GB download. The installation process came to a halt advising corrupt file dpkg. When I came to reboot I had a problem as the boot process failed with

EFL not found
Firmware not found error 0000004

so it seems it was the bootloader or grub that was the culprit.

bootloader c305221a sep 3 2020

This should not have been a problem until I put my reserve sd card in the pi to find that there were two programmes missing from the applications menu, and I thought I was thorough in my housekeeping. You learn the hard way.

Now I was wondering if it is a single file that has become corrupt in the bootloader that I could copy it over to the corrupt sdcard and get my system back?

Or alternatively there must be a file somewhere containing the main menu list of programmes - anyone know where it is?

Thanks very much

Roy

cleverca22

Re: bootloader corrupt

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:04 pm

sounds like start4.elf on /boot is missing, try replacing it with a copy from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot

youll also want to get the fixup4.dat from the same version, they are a matched pair

Return to “Troubleshooting”