mihajlo2003

Re: Ethernet not working on Pi 3 B+

Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:55 am

So, as promised, I've bought the official power supply for Raspberry Pi and pluged it in, but I still don't have ethernet connection.
The Official Power Supply.jpg
The Official Power Supply for Raspberry Pi
The Official Power Supply.jpg (246.87 KiB) Viewed 78 times

epoch1970

Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:55 am

I’d disconnect the cable from the PC and try connecting it to the Pi.
Known working cable, working switch port…
Apparently the Ethernet chip of the Pi isn’t dead because the Pi sees a link up event and tries to configure the interface. That fails and then the link goes down.

I suppose your PC is a Windows machine? That has Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
If you enable ICS in the PC, it becomes a router and starts a DHCP server. I suppose you’d need some wireless interface to serve as uplink to the internet.
Set ICS to share the internet connection over Ethernet, then link the Pi and the PC with:
- try 1: the cable that normally connects the PC to the router
- try 2: the cable you initially dedicated to the Pi.

If in both cases:
- The pi doesn’t get an address: the OS of the Pi is messed up or ICS isn’t configured properly.
- The pi gets an address: cables are good, something is up on the router side.
If try1 succeeds giving out an address to the Pi and try2 fails, something is up with the cable.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

mihajlo2003

Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:59 am

I've just tried installing Ubuntu on the Pi to check if the OS was the problem, but I still haven't established wired connection so it must be some sort of a hardware problem. I have another router so I'll try connecting the Pi to it but I hardly thing that would make the difference since I've already tried that with two different router and three different UTP cables without success.

Return to “Troubleshooting”