ybs273

Raspberry Pi camera can not work in Ubuntu on Raspberry Pi2

Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:33 pm

Hi,
I have installed the latest Ubuntu Mate on my Raspberry Pi2. I wanted to use the Raspberry Pi camera in this operating system. Although I installed the 'picamera' driver in it, the system can not create the camera component when I ran " raspistill -o test.jpg".
Because there is no "raspi-config" in this OS, I have no idea to further set the camera. For the same camera and Pi, when I use a Raspbian Wheezy OS SD card, everything is OK for the RasPi camera.
Could somebody give me some suggestions?

qswu2000

Re: Raspberry Pi camera can not work in Ubuntu on Raspberry

Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:35 pm

Ubuntu is the most excellent linux system for raspberry pi2. The software update is very quickly.
Currently, there is no raspi-config command for raspberry configuration at version15.04, but it will come out in the near future version.
Without raspi-config, we can manually config it easily. Just modify the file /boot/firmware/config.txt is enough.
Just add a line "start_x=1" at the bottom of the file config.txt, save it, and reboot the system.
At the terminal, input command "sudo raspistill -o test.jpg", it will work.

ybs273

Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:20 pm

Thanks a lot!
It works normally now! This is really cool!

omystart

Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:32 pm

Hi Sir,

I have the same issue, and we insall ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS version to Raspberry Pi. Just follow the instruction to add "start_x=1" at the /boot/firmware/config.txt. Then reboot, input the command "sudo raspistill -o test.jpg" => still error command.

Can you give me other suggestions to get RaspPi camera image under ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS system ?

fruitoftheloom

Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:21 pm

omystart wrote:Hi Sir,

I have the same issue, and we insall ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS version to Raspberry Pi. Just follow the instruction to add "start_x=1" at the /boot/firmware/config.txt. Then reboot, input the command "sudo raspistill -o test.jpg" => still error command.

Can you give me other suggestions to get RaspPi camera image under ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS system ?
The Original Poster was using Ubuntu-Mate 15.04 https://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi which is more up-to-date afaiaa....
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

ModQuad

Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:26 am

I found the config file and edited it with:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt

I was getting an error and tried this which took me to the config.txt file with no error. Still have to see if it worked to take stills but it's not working in VLC which is what I need to stream video over my network to my encoder.

hobbsy

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:30 am

Just in case anyone finds this thread via Google, maybe the following will be helpful:

I am running Ubuntu MATE 16.04 on my RPi3 and I'm trying to enable the camera

There doesn't seem to be a /firmware/ folder that contains a config.txt file
eg.
/boot/firmware/config.txt

However I was able to edit the config.txt file I found in
/boot/config.txt

Open up Terminal then enter:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
I uncommented (removed the hash character) from line 470 (under the Camera Settings section)
#start_x=1

so it reads
start_x=1

Control + X to save and exit

then

sudo reboot now

Upon rebooting into the desktop, open Terminal and try:

sudo raspistill -o image.jpg
and it should save a photo to your Desktop

Return to “Troubleshooting”