chrisoh

Pi 3 onboard WiFi SSH, OK with IPv6 but not with IPv4

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:37 pm

Was reading an unrelated but interesting article and the quirk described by Rachel reminded me of the [RPi3] SSH not working via wifi thread, I tried adding the IPv6 switch to SSH and low-and-behold, SSH over the Pi 3's onboard WiFi worked.

IPv4

Code: Select all

ssh -4 pi@192.168.0.20
pi@192.168.0.20's password: 
...hangs...
Write failed: Broken pipe
IPv6

Code: Select all

ssh -6 pi@raspberrypi3.local
pi@raspberrypi3.local's password: 
works!
pi@raspberrypi3:~ $
I haven't gotten around to testing if the quirk+workaround Rachel describes can be applied here, but it's interesting to see that SSH using IPv6 works on the Pi 3 and IPv4 doesn't. Is there something funny going on with the BCM43438 because all other wifi dongles and devices function normally, (even using a nano dongle on the Pi 3 instead of the onboard, works).
Raspberry Pi 3 model B Idle @ 250mA
  • HDMI +200mA
  • Minecraft 1.9 Server +100mA
  • 2.4Ghz dongle +20mA

Sarkoon

Re: Pi 3 onboard WiFi SSH, OK with IPv6 but not with IPv4

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:34 am

Thanks to your post, I no longer feel like I'm going crazy.

I have the exact same problem. Which is to say, SSH to and from the Pi 3 stops responding randomly if I'm even lucky enough to get through the authentication process. However IPv6 is not affected at all!

The strange thing in my case is that my Pi worked just fine without any issues for about a week or two, before this problem surfaced. Because of that I initially thought I encountered a software issue and re-installed Raspbian as an attempt to fix it. But the problem still remains, of course.

wntdone

Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:22 pm

I know this is an older thread, but I haven't been able to find a solution to this exact problem. Did anyone else experience this? Is there a solution?

xisuknown

Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:50 am

Sarkoon wrote:Thanks to your post, I no longer feel like I'm going crazy.

I have the exact same problem. Which is to say, SSH to and from the Pi 3 stops responding randomly if I'm even lucky enough to get through the authentication process. However IPv6 is not affected at all!
Sarkoon, can you tell me how you switched to IPv6? I'm new to the Pi and Raspbian, and haven't been able to get my wifi to work yet. I posted about it hereviewtopic.php?p=1053881#p1053881 but haven't found a solution. This looks promising but I don't know how to implement it. Many thanks for any assistance!

Return to “Troubleshooting”