nuclearfart

Youtube video on full screen LAGS :(

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:26 pm

Apologies guys if this has been raised before.

I currently have the raspberry pi 3 running Raspbian - Jessie OS.

Im using chromium the one that comes with Raspbian Jessie, and i have already done the sudo -apt get update.

youtube runs perfectly fine on windowed screen but as so on as i blow it up to full screen the video goes all choppy, and lags like hell. This applies on any quality setting whether it is 480 720 or 1080.

there is nothing wrong with my internet connection as i can play youtube flawlessly on 1080 on my pc or tablet.

HELP!!!!!! what am i doing wrong?

gkreidl

Re: Youtube video on full screen LAGS :(

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:02 am

With omxplayer and similar players (VLC with support for HW acceleration), the decoded video is immediately sent to the video output and displayed in a separate layer.
HW accelerated browsers (chromium-browser, epiphany, kweb3) can use HW decoding by the GPU, but the decoded video has to be copied back into the frame buffer to become part of the browser window. And this is not simply copying a huge amount of data, but includes a colour space conversion (some kind of YUV to RGB(A)) as well.
This means, that HW accelerated video inside browsers is only possible within a limited screen area - a typical youtube 360p video, for example) and never full screen (or covering a large part of the screen).

To play youtube (or other) web video full screen you have to use external solutions (using omxplayer). Kweb has this built in but once your have installed the kweb suite, you can also add this functionality to chromium or firefox.
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=163018 (for chromium)
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

entsha

Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:18 pm

I just tried raspberry pi 3 today and ran into the same problem. Increasing GPU memory to 128 in the raspberry pi config fixed this for me.

abu_layes

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:20 am

I have also same problem. Shall I run youtube video (1080p) through OMXPlayer?

Xzael

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:06 pm

entsha wrote:
I just tried raspberry pi 3 today and ran into the same problem. Increasing GPU memory to 128 in the raspberry pi config fixed this for me.
This suggestion was on point. To change the GPU memory:
# sudo raspi-config

Advanced Options -> Memory Split -> Change to 128 -> Reboot.

graham479

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:15 pm

Xzael wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:06 pm
entsha wrote:
This suggestion was on point. To change the GPU memory:
# sudo raspi-config

Advanced Options -> Memory Split -> Change to 128 -> Reboot.
Thanks for that, spot on instructions on how to adjust that. Is there a limit the available memory should be set to?

Readyourbook

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:50 pm

I wonder will other OS prevent this problem such as the small Ubuntu variations. Will using a browser there prevent this or is this just the way PI does things whatever the OS.

gkreidl

Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:10 pm

Readyourbook wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:50 pm
I wonder will other OS prevent this problem such as the small Ubuntu variations. Will using a browser there prevent this or is this just the way PI does things whatever the OS.
Chromium with HW acceleration support for video is unique on Raspbian (a special creation by the Foundation).
There are simple solutions to add full screen for web video using low resources. e. g.:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&t=193811
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Troubleshooting”