MirkoKay

Touchscreen touch area (still) wrong

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:51 pm

I had no problems to get the original raspberry touchscreen running. I'm using the image "RASPBIAN STRETCH WITH DESKTOP" from the official website. I had to run "rpi-update" because SPI causes problems. After the rpi-update the touch area is wrong. Especially in the lower part of the display my touches are out. I tried all the tips here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... hooting.md
Nothings helps. I deactivated overscan. I tried:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libraspberrypi0 libraspberrypi-{bin,dev,doc} raspberrypi-bootloader
Same problem. The display is detected and everything. But the touch area stays wrong. I tried so many things. Does anyone has a solution for that? What am I really looking for is a OS that works 100% with touchscreen. Would be great if there is a keyboard already installed, that pops up when I need it. Like in all android devices. Maybe there is something way better than raspbian. I just need a super stable touchscreen os that works fine with the official raspberry touchscreen. That should exist, shouldn't it?
Please help.
My big upcoming Raspberry Pi project:
www.AntheiaGrow.com

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Touchscreen touch area (still) wrong

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:05 pm

We've just found and fixed a bug in the touchscreen driver device tree entry in 4.14 (which you will have got with rpi-update) which I think is causing this.

See this issue.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... -366972502
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

MirkoKay

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Woah nice! Thank you so much. It worked. Here is what I did so everyone else can do the same:

1. Download the rpi-ft5406-overlay.dts
2. Copy the downloaded "rpi-ft5406-overlay.dts" to "/home/pi/Downloads"
3. Compile it with "dtc -@ -I dts -O dtb -o rpi-ft5406.dtbo rpi-ft5406-overlay.dts"
4. Ignore the warning and copy the generated "rpi-ft5406.dtbo" to "/boot/overlays"
5. Reboot and the touch area works perfect
www.AntheiaGrow.com

jamesh

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:10 pm

I've checked in a fix for this to our 4.14 tree (and our development 4.15 tree), and it should be in rpi-update fairly quickly, a few days at most I would think. Meanwhile, if you have the problem, follow the advice above.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

MirkoKay

Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:50 pm

One year has passed, the bug is still there. It should be fixed already three times. I'm going to use the touchscreen very soon for a very big project. So please, do as you say and finally fix that bug. But please don't let me wait another year. It's the official Raspberry Pi screen and it's still not working yet.
www.AntheiaGrow.com

greedo

Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi all,

I have Raspberry Pi3 and same problem with 3,5'' touchscreen. It used to work till few days ago, but now touch areas are completly wrong. When I press somewhere with a scriber mouse icon shows few centimeters elswhere. I tried solution from this topic but no result. Is there any fix for touch area?

greedo

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:56 pm

Hi all,

I have had such issue till today. Touch areas were wrong, when I pushed scriber on screen, mouse icon was going elswere but not to the point of pressing. What I did was sudo rpi-update and that fix this error.

Return to “Troubleshooting”