Jaskowicz

SD Cards issues

Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:00 am

Hello! I've got a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and i'm running into issues with SD cards.

I'm currently using an 8GB SD card which is working completely fine however I've tried a 32GB SD card and an 128GB SD card and each one seems to not work (Green light will not flash or anything and no display).

I've tried on both SD Cards the following methods:

- Following the tutorial within the Raspbian files (Both Full and Lite).
- Writing the .img file to it (Both Full and Lite, not at the same time).

After writing the img of Raspbian lite or adding the files of Raspbian Lite to my SD card, I would always get an error message saying "Error formatting settings partition". Using Full version of Raspbian or just straight NOOBs wouldn't even get read (Like mentioned at the start of this post).

I hope someone is able to help me.

Thanks,
- Archie.

HawaiianPi

Re: SD Cards issues

Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:47 am

NOOBS requires a card formatted with the FAT32 file-system, and cards larger than 32GB are formatted exFAT. So your 32GB card should have worked with NOOBS, but your 128GB card would need to be reformatted to FAT32 (Windows won't do that, try fat32format GUI).

Raspbian image files are not copied to the card like NOOBS files, and don't care what format the card is in. You use an image writing utility to put an image on the card. The best one currently available is Etcher. Try the following.

1. Grab the latest Raspbian image from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
  2. Grab the Etcher software from https://www.balena.io/etcher/
  3. Use Etcher to write the Raspbian image to your SD card.
    • You don't need to extract the image or format the card prior to writing.
    • Just run Etcher, choose the Raspbian .zip you downloaded, pick your SD card and write.
    • If you have trouble, verify the SHA256 checksum of the download.
    • Writing an image to your card will erase everything previously on it!

Once Etcher has successfully written and verified the card, move it to your Pi and give it a try.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups, and where is that annoying music coming from?

fruitoftheloom

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:25 am

Jaskowicz wrote:
Hello! I've got a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and i'm running into issues with SD cards.

I'm currently using an 8GB SD card which is working completely fine however I've tried a 32GB SD card and an 128GB SD card and each one seems to not work (Green light will not flash or anything and no display).

After writing the img of Raspbian lite or adding the files of Raspbian Lite to my SD card, I would always get an error message saying "Error formatting settings partition". Using Full version of Raspbian or just straight NOOBs wouldn't even get read (Like mentioned at the start of this post).

Thanks,
- Archie.

To add to above the SD Card Reader you are using must be SDHC compatible..........
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

drgeoff

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:34 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
To add to above the SD Card Reader you are using must be SDHC compatible..........
True, though if the OP himself wrote his working 8Gbyte card, then the reader he used is SDHC compatible.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Jaskowicz

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:31 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:47 am
NOOBS requires a card formatted with the FAT32 file-system, and cards larger than 32GB are formatted exFAT. So your 32GB card should have worked with NOOBS, but your 128GB card would need to be reformatted to FAT32 (Windows won't do that, try fat32format GUI).

Raspbian image files are not copied to the card like NOOBS files, and don't care what format the card is in. You use an image writing utility to put an image on the card. The best one currently available is Etcher. Try the following.

1. Grab the latest Raspbian image from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
  2. Grab the Etcher software from https://www.balena.io/etcher/
  3. Use Etcher to write the Raspbian image to your SD card.
    • You don't need to extract the image or format the card prior to writing.
    • Just run Etcher, choose the Raspbian .zip you downloaded, pick your SD card and write.
    • If you have trouble, verify the SHA256 checksum of the download.
    • Writing an image to your card will erase everything previously on it!

Once Etcher has successfully written and verified the card, move it to your Pi and give it a try.
Thanks for this, however, when doing this I got an issue that 2 of the checksums didn't equal therefore the device "failed". Ignoring this message and taking it to the Raspberry Pi resolved in a kernel panic saying "Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)".

Jaskowicz

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:36 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Jaskowicz wrote:

Thanks,
- Archie.

drgeoff wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
True, though if the OP himself wrote his working 8Gbyte card, then the reader he used is SDHC compatible.
As mentioned by drgeoff, I currently have a working 8GB SD card in my raspberry pi. The 8GB SD card is the exact same as both the 32GB and 128GB apart from the storage values and their speed (8GB card shows 6 whereas 32GB and 128GB shows 10).

Andyroo

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:05 am

Thanks for this, however, when doing this I got an issue that 2 of the checksums didn't equal therefore the device "failed".
Do you mean on the download or on the write using Etcher?

If it’s the download you will have to re-download as the file is corrupted
If it’s on the write it’s a good chance the SD Card is duff - check the verify option in Etcher is set on and try once more

You could also try another SD Card writer.

Any failure in either download or write will give you a duff OS that will cause many issues down the line :roll:

Jaskowicz

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:26 am

Andyroo wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:05 am
Thanks for this, however, when doing this I got an issue that 2 of the checksums didn't equal therefore the device "failed".
Do you mean on the download or on the write using Etcher?

If it’s the download you will have to re-download as the file is corrupted
If it’s on the write it’s a good chance the SD Card is duff - check the verify option in Etcher is set on and try once more

You could also try another SD Card writer.

Any failure in either download or write will give you a duff OS that will cause many issues down the line :roll:
I mean once the OS has been written and verified, should of mentioned that.

I'll try the Win32DiskImager and i'll get back to you.

Andyroo

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:28 am

Etcher is the preferred copier now as the win one is OLD

Jaskowicz

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:34 am

Andyroo wrote:
Ah, Etcher didn't seem to work.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:37 am

Jaskowicz wrote:
Andyroo wrote:

Etcher always AOK for me, just offer the .zip of Raspbian Stretch, select SD Card Reader Drive and let it "burn". Far easier than NoobS !
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

Jaskowicz

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:47 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:37 am
Jaskowicz wrote:
Andyroo wrote:

Etcher always AOK for me, just offer the .zip of Raspbian Stretch, select SD Card Reader Drive and let it "burn". Far easier than NoobS !
Right, let me retry this.

Update: Didn't work.
Last edited by Jaskowicz on Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.Goode

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:29 pm

Jaskowicz wrote:
Andyroo wrote:

Is that a reference to your earlier report about "failed checksums"?

Because to my way of thinking that is Etcher working exactly as it is intended to and reporting an error in the creation of the micro SD card that might later cause problems trying to boot your RPi from it.

It might be a sign that either your microSD card writer or the target microSD card (or both) are faulty.

Jaskowicz

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:54 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:29 pm
Jaskowicz wrote:
Andyroo wrote:

Is that a reference to your earlier report about "failed checksums"?

Because to my way of thinking that is Etcher working exactly as it is intended to and reporting an error in the creation of the micro SD card that might later cause problems trying to boot your RPi from it.

It might be a sign that either your microSD card writer or the target microSD card (or both) are faulty.
I've tried 2 microSD card read/writers and i've tried 2 SD cards. Both do not allow this to work.

Edit:

This is what it says all the time: Image
Last edited by Jaskowicz on Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HawaiianPi

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:56 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Actually, with a 128GB card it must be SDXC compatible (HC only supports up to 32GB).

Jaskowicz wrote:
Thanks for this, however, when doing this I got an issue that 2 of the checksums didn't equal therefore the device "failed". Ignoring this message and taking it to the Raspberry Pi resolved in a kernel panic saying "Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)".
We need to know exactly where you are seeing that checksum error.

Checksum errors are a sign of a bad download or a bad car write. Verify the SHA256 hash sum of your downloaded Raspbian .zip file against the one on the download page. If that passes then your card reader or your SD card could be bad or fake. Fake SD cards which have much less than the advertised capacity are a very real problem, especially with cards of larger capacities.

When you use Etcher, do NOT extract the image first. Write it directly from the Raspbian .zip download.

Note that Win32diskimager does NOT do any image or write validation. When you write a card with Win32diskimager you really don't know if the resulting card is good or bad (even if it boots, it could have problems elsewhere). For example, Win32diskimager will happily write images to fake cards with less capacity than the image file. The write will complete without error, but all files above the real capacity will be corrupt.

What are you using as a power supply for your 3B+?

Jaskowicz

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:21 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:56 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Actually, with a 128GB card it must be SDXC compatible (HC only supports up to 32GB).

Jaskowicz wrote:
We need to know exactly where you are seeing that checksum error.

Checksum errors are a sign of a bad download or a bad car write. Verify the SHA256 hash sum of your downloaded Raspbian .zip file against the one on the download page. If that passes then your card reader or your SD card could be bad or fake. Fake SD cards which have much less than the advertised capacity are a very real problem, especially with cards of larger capacities.

When you use Etcher, do NOT extract the image first. Write it directly from the Raspbian .zip download.

Note that Win32diskimager does NOT do any image or write validation. When you write a card with Win32diskimager you really don't know if the resulting card is good or bad (even if it boots, it could have problems elsewhere). For example, Win32diskimager will happily write images to fake cards with less capacity than the image file. The write will complete without error, but all files above the real capacity will be corrupt.

What are you using as a power supply for your 3B+?
I'm unsure of how to check the SHA256 of my downloaded file. My SD card is only showing as 3GB less (125GB) than advertised.

For my power supply, I'm using my Samsung Fast Charging plug along with a standard Micro USB cable (I'm pretty sure that's what they are).

Update:

After reformatting my SD card, i've found this. Image

Ernst

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:30 pm

Jaskowicz wrote:
For my power supply, I'm using my Samsung Fast Charging plug along with a standard Micro USB cable (I'm pretty sure that's what they are).
If the Raspberry Pi is a Pi 3B as mentioned in the first post then these are two of your problems.
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

Jaskowicz

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:32 pm

Ernst wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:30 pm
Jaskowicz wrote:
If the Raspberry Pi is a Pi 3B as mentioned in the first post then these are two of your problems.
Oh. So I should go get a better power supply?

HawaiianPi

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:57 pm

Jaskowicz wrote:
I'm unsure of how to check the SHA256 of my downloaded file.
Windows 8 and 10 (possibly 7) have a little known, built-in utility called CertUtil that you can use for hash checking. To check the current version of Raspbian Stretch Lite (at the time of this post), open the Command prompt or Windows PowerShell in the same folder as the file and enter:

Code: Select all

certutil -hashfile 2018-11-13-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip sha256
Which should give you the output:

SHA256 hash of 2018-11-13-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip:
47ef1b2501d0e5002675a50b6868074e693f78829822eef64f3878487953234d
CertUtil: -hashfile command completed successfully.
Which matches the value published on the download page.

However, my favorite way to check file cryptographic hashes (checksums) in Windows is a free, open source utility called, HashCheck. https://github.com/gurnec/HashCheck/releases/latest

It's a Windows shell extension that adds a Checksums tab to file properties. You can configure which checksums it calculates and displays, and you can input a sum to see if it matches the file properties you are looking at. You can also create text files with a list of sums and filenames to verify a bunch of files by double-clicking on the text file.

Jaskowicz wrote:
My SD card is only showing as 3GB less (125GB) than advertised.
Fake cards show the higher capacity. They have hacked firmware, so that they look like larger cards to your computer, but when you fill them with data you will find lots of that data is corrupt.

For example, a scammer might take a cheap 4GB card and hack it to look like at 128GB card. They also hack it to not report write errors. So you can write 100GB+ of data to the card and it will seem to be fine, but everything past 4GB will not have been written and will only exist as a ghost entry on the file system directory (all that data will be lost).

For a prime example of fake cards, look how many 2TB micro SD cards are being sold on eBay, AliExpress and similar sites. FYI: There is no such thing as a 2TB micro SD card (they don't exist yet), so all those sales are scams.

Jaskowicz wrote:
Chargers are not power supplies, and standard micro USB 2.0 cables are not designed to deliver much more than 500mA without voltage loss.

The problem with chargers is that most phones only need a little over 4.2V to charge, so chargers don't need very good voltage regulation and some will not maintain a stable 5V under load. Combine a charger with a standard micro USB cable and you compound the problem.

That's not to say that all chargers are crap power supplies. Some may be fine, but you can't know that unless you can properly load test the charger, and you still need a micro USB cable rated for higher current, because a good charger with a bad cable still won't work. So that's why chargers are not recommended.

The micro USB cables designed for fast charging phones or tablets at 2.4A will work better than standard micro USB cables (shorter is also better). If you have a micro USB cable that came with a tablet or smartphone you could give that a try.

But what we really recommend is the official Raspberry Pi Universal Power Supply, which is a proven performer. It is rated for 5.1V at up to 2.5A and has a built-in micro USB power cord with nice, fat 18 AWG wires. It's also very affordable (although that can vary, depending on where you live and who you buy it from). Click the green BUY tag at the top of the page to purchase one.

Jaskowicz wrote:
Update:

That's normal. Flash memory devices perform best when the file system is aligned with page boundaries, so there will always be a little empty space at the beginning or end of the card.

Jaskowicz

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:33 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:57 pm
Jaskowicz wrote:
I'm unsure of how to check the SHA256 of my downloaded file.
Windows 8 and 10 (possibly 7) have a little known, built-in utility called CertUtil that you can use for hash checking. To check the current version of Raspbian Stretch Lite (at the time of this post), open the Command prompt or Windows PowerShell in the same folder as the file and enter:

certutil -hashfile 2018-11-13-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip sha256
Which should give you the output:

SHA256 hash of 2018-11-13-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip:
47ef1b2501d0e5002675a50b6868074e693f78829822eef64f3878487953234d
CertUtil: -hashfile command completed successfully.
Which matches the value published on the download page.

However, my favorite way to check file cryptographic hashes (checksums) in Windows is a free, open source utility called, HashCheck. https://github.com/gurnec/HashCheck/releases/latest

It's a Windows shell extension that adds a Checksums tab to file properties. You can configure which checksums it calculates and displays, and you can input a sum to see if it matches the file properties you are looking at. You can also create text files with a list of sums and filenames to verify a bunch of files by double-clicking on the text file.

Jaskowicz wrote:
My SD card is only showing as 3GB less (125GB) than advertised.
Fake cards show the higher capacity. They have hacked firmware, so that they look like larger cards to your computer, but when you fill them with data you will find lots of that data is corrupt.

For example, a scammer might take a cheap 4GB card and hack it to look like at 128GB card. They also hack it to not report write errors. So you can write 100GB+ of data to the card and it will seem to be fine, but everything past 4GB will not have been written and will only exist as a ghost entry on the file system directory (all that data will be lost).

For a prime example of fake cards, look how many 2TB micro SD cards are being sold on eBay, AliExpress and similar sites. FYI: There is no such thing as a 2TB micro SD card (they don't exist yet), so all those sales are scams.

Jaskowicz wrote:
Chargers are not power supplies, and standard micro USB 2.0 cables are not designed to deliver much more than 500mA without voltage loss.

The problem with chargers is that most phones only need a little over 4.2V to charge, so chargers don't need very good voltage regulation and some will not maintain a stable 5V under load. Combine a charger with a standard micro USB cable and you compound the problem.

That's not to say that all chargers are crap power supplies. Some may be fine, but you can't know that unless you can properly load test the charger, and you still need a micro USB cable rated for higher current, because a good charger with a bad cable still won't work. So that's why chargers are not recommended.

The micro USB cables designed for fast charging phones or tablets at 2.4A will work better than standard micro USB cables (shorter is also better). If you have a micro USB cable that came with a tablet or smartphone you could give that a try.

But what we really recommend is the official Raspberry Pi Universal Power Supply, which is a proven performer. It is rated for 5.1V at up to 2.5A and has a built-in micro USB power cord with nice, fat 18 AWG wires. It's also very affordable (although that can vary, depending on where you live and who you buy it from). Click the green BUY tag at the top of the page to purchase one.

Jaskowicz wrote:
Update:

That's normal. Flash memory devices perform best when the file system is aligned with page boundaries, so there will always be a little empty space at the beginning or end of the card.
So it's either the power supply, or the SD card. The hash matches and should anyways because it's worked on my old SD card.

I'm going to buy a new SD card from Sandisk and see if that works along with a new power supply.

Edit:

Old SD card meaning my 8GB one which is still working

Update:

I found a plug in my house which outputs 5.25V and a stronger cable. I also ran tests to see if my SD card was a fake and it isn't (I dont think. I only tested to 12GB from when I was sure it would be fine).

Update 2:

Using the new plug, it's reading the card. Thank god. However, i'm now stuck on a rainbow screen.

HawaiianPi

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:31 am

There are programs to test flash memory storage devices. H2testw, F3 and ChkFlsh will write date to the full capacity of the card, then read it back and report how much was valid (so you an see what the true capacity is). It can take awhile to test, especially on a 128GB card, but you will know for sure.

If it's stuck on the rainbow square GPU test screen with a lightning bolt icon near the upper-right, that's an indication the OS on the card has old firmware that's not compatible with the model of Pi you are trying to boot (most common with the latest model 3B+ and 3A+). What version of Raspbian is on your 8GB card?

Try it with the latest version of Raspbian: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Jaskowicz

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:57 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:31 am
There are programs to test flash memory storage devices. H2testw, F3 and ChkFlsh will write date to the full capacity of the card, then read it back and report how much was valid (so you an see what the true capacity is). It can take awhile to test, especially on a 128GB card, but you will know for sure.

If it's stuck on the rainbow square GPU test screen with a lightning bolt icon near the upper-right, that's an indication the OS on the card has old firmware that's not compatible with the model of Pi you are trying to boot (most common with the latest model 3B+ and 3A+). What version of Raspbian is on your 8GB card?

Try it with the latest version of Raspbian: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
I refollowed the NOOBs tutorial (extracting the files and then placing them into the SD card) and it caused the rainbow screen but no lightning bolt. I'm flashing Raspbian full onto my SD card now and i'm going to put "boot_delay=1" to make sure it's all good.

Hopefully this works.

The most recent version of Raspbian is on my 8GB card, same as my 128GB.

Update:

I ended up getting a kernel panic saying "Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)".

Update 2:

I did the NOOBs tutorial again and got the following message:

"Error resizing existing FAT partition
Fatal: Bad FAT: Unterminated chain for \OS\LIBREE~1\SLIDES. You should run dosfsck or scandisk".

Jaskowicz

Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:39 pm

Okay, I've now reached a point where i'm getting "Error resizing existing FAT partition
Fatal: Bad FAT: Unterminated chain for \OS\LIBREE~2\SLIDES. You should run dosfsck or scandisk" with the new NOOBs update released on 08/04/19.

Jaskowicz

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:43 pm

Never mind, all the cards were fake apart from the 8GB card.

visa

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:17 am

as @HawaiianPi recommends, etcher works great for me.

win32diskimager failed to flash 3 16gb sandisk ultra cards no matter what I tried. Etcher flashed all of them on first attempt without fail.

Return to “Troubleshooting”