Bob Denny

Latest Raspbian Buster + Upgrades - Still No BT Audio, not not even with speaker-test

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:43 pm

After installing the Raspbian Buster image (see below) on a Raspberry Pi 4B, then doing the update/upgrade thing, I cannot get any Bluetooth audio to work. I can successfully pair the speaker, and I can successfully select it in the audio menu (right-click on speaker icon). So it appears to be configured. No sound. I have tried this with two known good BT speakers including a high-dollar Bose. These two BT Speakers work fine on two mobile phones, and an older Raspberry Pi 3/Raspbian. I have turned off the other devices' BT in case there was a pairing conflict. So it's not the BT device.

The 'speaker-test' command shows no errors, though the Time Per Period for BT is much smaller. But I see the BT max buffer is 65536 not 4565228 like for Analog so that may explain the timing difference.

What should I look at next?
Snap5.jpg
Snap5.jpg (21.82 KiB) Viewed 6469 times

CoderBro

Re: Latest Raspbian Buster + Upgrades - No BT Audio

Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:52 am

I have the same issue. I have some downloaded music on my raspberry pi 4 which works fine and I can hear the music on my jbl flip 2 which is connected to my raspberry pi 4. But when I go to youtube, I cannot hear any audio. Please check if you have the same issue.

CoderBro

Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:29 pm

Type the code below in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install vlc
then use the command in this way:
vlc url

replace url with the url of the youtube video or audio files online or with local path to your audio file.

To change the audio, click on the audio tab and select output

This worked for me,
please try this.

Bob Denny

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:59 pm

Thanks guys... but YouTube isn't my issue. If you'll note, not even the speaker-test utility is able to produce sound. If you are able to play music (mp3 file?) that is on your pi then you're ahead of me.

splangie

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:23 pm

I have not yet tried connecting BT speakers but I have not had any luck on a Pi 4 pairing BT yet. The USB wireless mouse and keyboard are find but I tried two BT mice and neither worked.

Technocolour

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:03 pm

I tried to connect to my "Duke" BT speaker, it worked, and it outputs sound. The BT stack is a bit naughty in that you need to connect it first, and then you start Chrome, should you want to use your browser for music/sound.

But the BT connection kept dropping? That has not happened before, previously it was very stable, I could bring it into adjacent rooms and everything was fine. My setup hasn't changed, and there aren't a billion BT devices that I can spot, noor does the WiFi info look like its changed much.

And after a while of said connecting and disconnecting (playing music or just sitting idle doesn't matter), I tried to shut the Duke down. I can't state any causality, but my desktop freezed. My youtube video kept rolling on the background, the mouse was moving and the keyboard Num Lock was responing, the icons changed when the Duke connected/disconnected. But otherwise, nothing. Everything was just dead and inert for well over two minutes when I decided it was time to pull the plug.

I'll poke around a bit in a day or two. I've got Cantoneese language lessons and C coding that ties me up now.

Technocolour

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:06 pm

CoderBro wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:52 am
I have the same issue. I have some downloaded music on my raspberry pi 4 which works fine and I can hear the music on my jbl flip 2 which is connected to my raspberry pi 4. But when I go to youtube, I cannot hear any audio. Please check if you have the same issue.
Try the following.

0 Close Chrome if open.
1 Pair the device.
2 Start Chrome.

That works for me.

Bob Denny

Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:26 pm

1. Unpair device
  2. Shutdown everything
  3. Reboot
  4. Pair device (ok)
  5. Select device in Audio menu (ok)
  6. pi@raspberrypi: ~ $ speaker-test -> no sound
Sorry guys. Again this is the very latest Raspian Buster on a RPI 4B with absolutely nothing installed except the update/upgrade after initial boot. In other words virgin OS (latest versions), virgin hardware, nothing connected to the board, known good BT speakers (2 of them, not paired to any other devices). Not using Chrome, VLC, nothing like that. Just the simple diagnostic 'speaker-test' shell command. I'm stuck.

mv107431

Re: Latest Raspbian Buster + Upgrades - Still No BT Audio, not not even with speaker-test

Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:49 pm

Hi - You're not going crazy I have the same issue - what you may find (as is the case with me) is that although your BT device is the chosen output - audio is still coming out of the audio socket but you have no volume control over it. Can we please get an official status of BT audio on buster for Pi 4.......lots of setup advice for Pi 3 .....nothing for Pi 4 and I believe they will be different - can somebody please confirm?

mv107431

Re: Latest Raspbian Buster + Upgrades - Still No BT Audio, not not even with speaker-test

Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:20 pm

OK, so I have resolved my issue.....hope it resolves yours.

When I run:

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav

the following error was thrown:

ALSA lib bluealsa-pcm.c:763:(_snd_pcm_bluealsa_open) Couldn't get BlueALSA PCM: PCM not found
aplay: main:828: audio open error: No such device

So (with the BT device selected as output) I had to go into: Preferences >> Audio Device Settings >> Select Controls - Click PCM then Close.

now running:

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav

produces the white noise audio output through my headset :-).......finally !

KetZoom

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:14 pm

I do not have audio devices settings in preferences.

rocker777

Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:02 pm

Hi All. Same story here. Installed a fresh image of buster on my pi3 and bt audio worked out of the box. Ran apt-get update/upgrade and not working after that. Selecting between analog, hdmi etc seems to work. Analog audio works. At some point I had access to the audio preferences but that seems to be gone now too and I have no idea when that disappeared (tried out tons of threads) Speaker pairs fine as in the original thread. I don’t think this is a Pi4 issue, it’s the OS itself. I’ve had enough fiddling so will try a fresh install tomorrow and see if it works again and post an update. Very frustrating.

rocker777

Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:25 am

I reinstalled Raspbian from scratch using the raspberrypi imager for windows and according to cat /etc/os-release it's Raspbian 10 (Buster). I did no updates and the BT audio is working out of the box. it plays well with a slight lag between video on youtube and the audio but I guess that is to be expected. the BT speaker is a EU roll 2 which I believe is high quality. I check preferences - no audio settings.

ahgood

Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:26 am

I met the same problem today, VLC play mp3 I can hear the sound but no sound from Chromium like playing youtube/netflix, my solution is:
1. Open Chromium and keep a youtube video playing
2. Right click speaker icon on task bar, select "Launch mixer"
3. Select "Playback" tab, you should see "Chromium: Playback on" (make sure you selected "All streams" from menu "Show")
4. Click "Menu?/Button?" next to "Chromium: Playback on", you should see your bluetooth device in list, select it.

Return to “Troubleshooting”