Mixxald

Low voltage warning message text

Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:02 pm

Hello, I'm new in the forums but I've used Pis for quite some time now and I just got a message I've never seen before. I'm using a Pi3B and I've checked my power supply and it works fine for my Pi4 but suddenly I got this message. I've searched all over internet and I haven't found a thing about this message, only the classic thunder "undervoltage" symbol. I am currently using my Pi in a Magic Mirror and this message is quite large and it only goes away when I click on it, and it also comes back a few seconds later. Can anyone give me some clarity? Thanks for everyone for their time.

alphanumeric

Re: Low voltage warning message text

Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:19 pm

Images did not post, by the way.

cleverca22

Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:25 pm

Mixxald wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:02 pm
Hello, I'm new in the forums but I've used Pis for quite some time now and I just got a message I've never seen before. I'm using a Pi3B and I've checked my power supply and it works fine for my Pi4 but suddenly I got this message. I've searched all over internet and I haven't found a thing about this message, only the classic thunder "undervoltage" symbol. I am currently using my Pi in a Magic Mirror and this message is quite large and it only goes away when I click on it, and it also comes back a few seconds later. Can anyone give me some clarity? Thanks for everyone for their time.
fixed the images

PhilE
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:07 pm

This new warning display is designed to be harder to ignore - undervoltage causes so many issues that it is necessary to make it clear to the user that there is a problem that needs to be solved.

cleverca22

Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:26 pm

PhilE wrote:
This new warning display is designed to be harder to ignore - undervoltage causes so many issues that it is necessary to make it clear to the user that there is a problem that needs to be solved.
the full kms drivers also prevent the VPU from being able to update the display, so there is also a stronger need for it to be built into the linux OS now

LTolledo

Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:53 pm

PhilE wrote:
it will still be ignored by those who willfully choose to ignore it.
then come back complaining later....making all sorts of crazy arguments... :mrgreen:
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Imperf3kt

Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:10 pm

If your power supply works fine for a Pi4, I assume you have a usb charger that takes a standard usb cable to power your Pi? As the pi3 and Pi4 do not use the same usb / power connection. Either that or you're using an adaptor?

If that is the case and it indeed works fine for a Pi4b, then the issue is most likely to lie in the cable / adaptor, not the power supply.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

althas

Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:34 am

I have just had to re-set up Magic Mirror and I now have this same issue
Is there any news on how to disable this message box? I know it is caused in my case as I have a long usb cable and the pi is doping nothing else but running MM so I am happy to take the risk of disabling it

Thanks

B.Goode

Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:59 am

althas wrote:
Is there any news on how to disable this message box? I know it is caused in my case as I have a long usb cable and the pi is doping nothing else but running MM so I am happy to take the risk of disabling it

Thanks

I don't know what I am talking about because I wouldn't want to do it anyway, but as a first step have you verified that the avoid_warnings flag in /boot/config.txt is no longer effective, as it was for the firmware icon:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... xt/misc.md

althas

Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:14 pm

Yes B.Goode, that is in place. It removes the lightning flash symbol, but there is now text in a box also (shown in the picture of the OP)
Thank you though for the reply

cleverca22

Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:23 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:53 pm
it will still be ignored by those who willfully choose to ignore it.
then come back complaining later....making all sorts of crazy arguments... :mrgreen:
althas wrote:

Thanks
you should really fix the power supply, or you run the risk of the SD card getting corrupted randomly

LTolledo

Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:24 pm

althas wrote:

Thanks
oh, its like there's a fire raging in your house and the fire alarms are blaring loud....

and the best solution to the situation is to silence the fire alarm because its "noisy"....

hmmm....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

althas

Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:07 am

LTolledo wrote:
althas wrote:

Thanks
oh, its like there's a fire raging in your house and the fire alarms are blaring loud....

and the best solution to the situation is to silence the fire alarm because its "noisy"....

hmmm....
Yeah thanks for the helpful input there, much appreciated...................
oh, it's like someone looking for an answer to a question that has read up about the situation and knows it is because of the long USB cable they are using, if only they had mentioned that in their question in the first place

and the best solution to the situation is to spout some unhelpful rubbish that has no baring on the situation

hmmm....

Imperf3kt

Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:11 am

althas wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:07 am
LTolledo wrote:
althas wrote:

Thanks

hmmm....
Yeah thanks for the helpful input there, much appreciated...................
oh, it's like someone looking for an answer to a question that has read up about the situation and knows it is because of the long USB cable they are using, if only they had mentioned that in their question in the first place

and the best solution to the situation is to spout some unhelpful rubbish that has no baring on the situation

hmmm....
You have two choices:
Option A) fix the actual problem
Option B) ignore the problem and take the risk.

There is a third option to disable the warning, but nobody here ever recommends to do that, as the anecdote above rather accurately depicts the situation...

Option A is the only option in my opinion. It may not sound helpful now, but later when option B or C has stung you and caused you days of headache over a "randomly not working", "doing strange thing x", "not doing what I expect" etc situation, you'll likely understand why.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

bensimmo

Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:29 am

All they want is a way to turn the new message off.

If it's been running fine for a while and for them they think it will run fine, then that's up to them.
Their choice.

Sometimes fixes like looking for a decent PSU and sufficient long decent cable or rolling your own wires is not something people want to do, or a project for the future.

If their Pi crashes and the new PMIC/uSD setup cannot prevent data loss, so be it.
it is just a magic mirror, no loss.
I think you're preaching to people this message was designed for, not the person asking the question here.
<slaps head>

So how do you stop this new message if the old one only does the icon.

jamesh

Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:33 am

OK, its clear from the OP's posts that he understands and is willing the take the risk. It's a low importance use case, that he is happy to accept the possibility of random power caused errors.

So we really don't need any more comments on the "correct" way to deal with it.

I'll ask if the warning on the desktop can be disabled, at the moment I am not sure there is a way of doing it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

PhilE

Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:40 am

I think the warning comes from the battery plugin - try removing/disabling it.

mikenikesystems

Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:02 pm

I would also like to know how to disable this. We use our Pi's for kiosks that just display a webpage. I've never had any problems with the SD card becoming corrupt. We just plug the pi into the USB ports on the TV's. I'm setting one up and used the latest raspios image and now I'm getting the same toast notification. I was able to disable the low voltage symbol but the notification still shows up. Yes I know the risk and I still need to disable this. Seems kind of weird that disabling errors in the config.txt would not disable this as well.

Has anyone been able to disable this?

PhilE

Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:46 pm

It's not that weird - they are two different interpretations of the same data, and there's no way we'll disable the underlying data.

mikenikesystems

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:28 pm

Okay. Is there any way to disable the notification?

PhilE

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:30 pm

mikenikesystems

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:35 pm

PhilE wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:30 pm
I looked and don't see any packages with the name battery. Can you please explain how to disable the battery plugin?

PhilE

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:38 pm

I don't have a Pi in front of me, but the desktop allows you to configure the plugins that are loaded.

mikenikesystems

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:50 pm

Okay found the battery plugin using the GUI. For anyone else that wants to disable this here are the steps that worked for me

1. Navigate to Preferences > Add/Remove Software
2. Search for Battery
3. Disable the "battery monitor plugin for lxpanel"

And that should disable the notification. Thanks for the help everyone!

jamesh

Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:36 pm

Not sure if this works but might be an option that doesn't actually remove the plugin completely, just disables it.

R Click on the desktop task bar
Select Add/Remove panel items
Scroll down to the battery plugin
Remove.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

Return to “Troubleshooting”