gregmaletic

Imager erroring during Verify

Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:16 pm

I purchased a 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro microSD card based on an online recommendation.

When I try to use Imager to write an image to it, it writes fine, but then fails during Verify:
Error reading from storage.
SD card may be broken.
I figured it was a broken card and ordered another one… but same result.

Any idea what's going on? I'm using Raspberry Pi Imager v1.6.1.

B.Goode

Re: Imager erroring during Verify

Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:58 pm

gregmaletic wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:16 pm
I purchased a 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro microSD card based on an online recommendation.

When I try to use Imager to write an image to it, it writes fine, but then fails during Verify:
Error reading from storage.
SD card may be broken.
I figured it was a broken card and ordered another one… but same result.

Any idea what's going on? I'm using Raspberry Pi Imager v1.6.1.

Developer/Maintainer Issues page here - https://github.com/raspberrypi/rpi-imager/issues

Perhaps it would be useful to specify what Hardware+OS platform is being used to run the Imager utility. Could any other tool be changing any content on the card prior to or during Verification? Virus scanning, indexing.. ?

gregmaletic

Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:28 pm

Good point… I'm running on macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91).

No virus software or anything unusual running.

I tried re-downloading the image from raspberrypi.org (the "Raspberry Pi OS with desktop and recommended software" .img) and I still get the same result.

pidd

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:48 am

It could be your card writer, is it definitely SDXC?

gregmaletic

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:55 am

It's a 2014 iMac, and the specs say it is SDXC (Apple added SDXC support in 2011.)

I suppose there could be something wrong with it, though I did write out a smaller disk image — not the one I wanted to use — to an 8GB card, just to see if it would work, and it did.

Maybe I'll try writing on the smaller image to this 32GB card and see if that works. Again, not useful, but maybe informative.

gregmaletic

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:26 am

Unfortunately that didn't help: it consistently fails in writing out the "full" OS image to either of my 32GB cards. (It has no problem writing out the "lite" image to either of my 32GB cards.)

I tried downloading the full image via torrent, just in case the version on the site was corrupted. But no luck: same results. :(

Perhaps I'll try getting an external SD card drive and see if that helps.

gregmaletic

Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:40 am

I bought an external SD card drive, plugged it into USB… and it worked. (Very slow, but it worked.) So either there is something wrong with the SD card slot in my iMac, or there is some incompatibility between it and the Raspberry Pi Imager v1.6.1.

dubnemo

Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:40 pm

I continually have these issues on verify, running Raspberry Pi Imager on Windows 10 in administrator mode, new Sandisc 32G SD cards, and even brand new Merkury USB Multi-card interface.

I don't see a solution posted to this trend.

I recorded a video my RPi3B going into an infinite loop trying to boot, but it is unclear how this forum can accept images or video. IMG tag (??????? lame).
:x

Is there a command line interface approach to this?
Last edited by dubnemo on Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:57 pm

dubnemo wrote:
I continually have these issues on verify, running Raspberry Pi Imager on Windows 10 in administrator mode, new Sandisc 32G SD cards, and even brand new Merkury USB interface.

I recorded a video my RPi3B going into an infinite loop trying to boot, but it is unclear how this forum can accept images or video. IMG tag (??????? lame).
:x

The Original Poster is using MacOS, so not much relating to to Windows 10 :?
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

dubnemo

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:04 pm

The problem is agnostic to OS running the imager then. Its a problem, and very repeatable.

I have the same problem running the imager on a RPi4B 8G RAM.

B.Goode

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:13 pm

dubnemo wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:04 pm
The problem is agnostic to OS running the imager then. Its a problem, and very repeatable.

I have the same problem running the imager on a RPi4B 8G RAM.

Maybe the developers of the Imager tool would investigate if this repeatable problem was brought to their attention -
https://github.com/raspberrypi/rpi-imager/issues

{ I successfully wrote an image of RasPiOS Buster [32] Full to a 16G microSD card this morning using Raspberry Pi Imager version 1.6.1 on a WIndows 10 Home 'desktop' HP Tower. So the problem is not ubiquitous or persistent. }

dubnemo

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:10 pm

Perhaps the size of the SD matters? Difference: yours 16G, mine 32G.
Its hard to find 8G or 16G microSD cards these days.

B.Goode

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:34 pm

dubnemo wrote:

The original poster in this thread can use 32G cards.

Still can't see the bug report.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:55 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:34 pm
dubnemo wrote:

The original poster in this thread can use 32G cards.

Still can't see the bug report.
FWIW, I've used the Imager tool, albeit on a P400, to write to 64GB SDXC cards: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... riter_Test
(using a USB card reader/writer)
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P3B+, P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

HawaiianPi

Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:37 am

Just spent quite awhile trying to reproduce this problem and had no success (RPi-Imager 1.6.1 works as expected for me).

I normally don't use the "full" image, but I did use it for testing and had no trouble writing or verifying the latest 2021-03-04-raspios-buster-armhf-full.zip to 32GB SanDisk Ultra A1 and Samsung EVO+ micro SD cards on either my Windows 10 laptop or my Raspberry Pi 4B 2GB (v1.1).

On my Windows 10 laptop I tested writing cards with a SanDisk Mobilemate USB 3.0 micro SD card reader as well as the built-in SD card slot (with the full size SD adapters that were included with the cards). No problems writing or verifying, and the cards booted in my 4B.

On my USB-SSD booted Pi 4B2 I tested with a cheap generic (no brand name) USB 3.0 micro SD card reader and also the Pi's built-in micro SD card slot. No problems writing or verifying, and the cards booted in my 4B.

I used four different micro SD cards during testing and encountered no problems using the Raspberry Pi Imager 1.6.1 software on Windows 10 or Raspberry Pi OS Buster (I don't have Mac, so I can't test that version).

Are the people having trouble extracting the images before writing? And can you write the Lite image? If so then your zip utility is old and can't handle the zip64 image format. Let Raspberry Pi Imager download, extract and write the image and it should work. Another option would be to give Etcher a try (https://www.balena.io/etcher/)

dubnemo wrote:
I continually have these issues on verify, running Raspberry Pi Imager on Windows 10 in administrator mode...
Why administrator mode? I don't need to use administrator mode and it works fine for me.

dubnemo wrote:
There must be a problem before there can be a solution.

Whatever trouble you're having is on your end and is not a problem with the RPi OS images or the RPi-Imager tool. Could be your cards or card reader, or security settings or software in your OS. Unfortunately those are difficult problems to diagnose remotely.

My money would be on your card reader. I used to have one that worked perfectly for reading and writing files, but would frequently fail when writing images. I also had trouble with a built-in reader that would fail because it wouldn't eject the card.

dubnemo wrote:
The following command must be run in a root shell or terminal.

Code: Select all

unzip -p 2021-03-04-raspios-buster-armhf-full.zip >/dev/sdx

You can also use dd or cp but you'll need to extract the image first. Example using cp.

Code: Select all

sudo cp 2021-03-04-raspios-buster-armhf-full.img /dev/sdx
Adjust filenames and paths as needed.

Also note that you are writing to a block device and not a partition (/dev/sda not /dev/sda1).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups, and where is that annoying music coming from?

dubnemo

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:30 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Are the people having trouble extracting the images before writing? And can you write the Lite image? If so then your zip utility is old and can't handle the zip64 image format. Let Raspberry Pi Imager download, extract and write the image and it should work. Another option would be to give Etcher a try (https://www.balena.io/etcher/)
Note that I AM using Pi Imager, ignore the admin mode as stated below. The intent was to show that even in higher priviledges it fails. AND STILL FAILS.
Etcher also fails, so I could be the new reader or a background process.
dubnemo wrote:
I continually have these issues on verify, running Raspberry Pi Imager on Windows 10 in administrator mode...
HawaiianPi wrote:
There must be a problem before there can be a solution.

Whatever trouble you're having is on your end and is not a problem with the RPi OS images or the RPi-Imager tool. Could be your cards or card reader, or security settings or software in your OS. Unfortunately those are difficult problems to diagnose remotely.

My money would be on your card reader. I used to have one that worked perfectly for reading and writing files, but would frequently fail when writing images. I also had trouble with a built-in reader that would fail because it wouldn't eject the card.
This is a BRAND NEW Merkury Universal 33-in-1 card reader. As stated in the GitHub issue.

Are you stating that there may be card reader compatibility issues?

I have never seen a list of ones that work and ones that don't work. Sure would be great not to spend $15-20 a pop on these adapters only to find out it is not compatible.

I do notice that Windows Explorer opens up in the background when the error message comes up.
https://cloud.degoo.com/share/cGQO3B8H0cUMfIup3ZswYg

dubnemo

Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:56 pm

I bought a SanDisk - SDDR-B531-GN6NN USB 3.0 microSD reader/ writer, and the imager now writes and verifies.
There should be a web page for people to pile on devices that do NOT work.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:13 am

dubnemo wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:56 pm
I bought a SanDisk - SDDR-B531-GN6NN USB 3.0 microSD reader/ writer, and the imager now writes and verifies.
There should be a web page for people to pile on devices that do NOT work.
Historically, in the "days of the first Pi's" that sort of thing was reported/logged in the (now old) elinux.org wiki ( https://elinux.org/RPi_Hub ) along with other early documentation. The latter is now superseded by the RPF/RPT documentation pages. It's virtually impossible to maintain such a device list given the numbers of "new" devices produced. I**, and others, may have examples of working and/or non-working devices within their personal web-sites or blogs and some of those with serious flaws have been discussed from time-to-time within these fora. One thing that is often not understood is that SD cards are primarily intended to be used in cameras and, again historically, their readers/writers are first installed and tested in said cameras before being "rolled out" to other devices (w/o a camera). This happened years ago with SDHC cards and is still happening with SDXC, in the sense that many devices are not (yet) formally labelled as SDXC compatible.
Trev.
** FWIW my notes are here: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... aders.html (older devices)
and here: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... vices.html
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P3B+, P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

incognitum

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:53 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
One thing that is often not understood is that SD cards are primarily intended to be used in cameras and, again historically, their readers/writers are first installed and tested in said cameras before being "rolled out" to other devices (w/o a camera).
And for that reason I would recommend only buying USB 3 readers.
Not for speed, but because the odds are a bit higher that the chipset inside is a little bit newer, and not from the century in which people were using standalone cameras instead of smartphones to take pictures...

dubnemo

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:54 pm

I believe in a self-service registry model, where people submit what works or doesn't work for them.
Maybe this post alone serves as that.
We now know one that doesn't work and one that doesn't.

HawaiianPi

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:08 am

FTrevorGowen wrote:
It's virtually impossible to maintain such a device list given the numbers of "new" devices produced.
And also because they sometimes change chipsets without warning (like the Eluteng adapters) or they sell several different products under the same name and part number (I'm looking at you, Orico).

dubnemo wrote:
I believe in a self-service registry model, where people submit what works or doesn't work for them. Maybe this post alone serves as that.
People do that here, but as FTrevorGowen said, it's impossible to maintain any kind of compatibility list (things change too often).

In my experience the vast majority of card readers work, and incompatible ones are rare exceptions. Many of the card readers I own were less than $5, and other than the the one I tossed in the recycle bin they all worked. Even the internal reader that reported a failed write actually worked (it wrote and verified okay and only failed to eject the card at the end, but the cards were fine).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups, and where is that annoying music coming from?

B.Goode

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:16 am

dubnemo wrote:
I believe in a self-service registry model, where people submit what works or doesn't work for them.
Maybe this post alone serves as that.
We now know one that doesn't work and one that doesn't.

There is a WiKi (unofficial, independent, not RPF/T maintained) here - https://elinux.org/RPi_Hub dating back to 2012.

But I'd say the empirical evidence is that the RPi community is not interested in maintaining it as an accurate resource.

Return to “Troubleshooting”