mradvanyi
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:18 pm

raspberry pi B with arducam usb camera not working

Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:06 pm

Can't connect an arducam usb camera module to my raspberry pi model 4B

Camera : https://www.pricepulse.app/arducam-8mp- ... us_4698992

the camera is working with laptops fine, and on the raspberry pi other camera connected with usb is working.

Any idea?
Last edited by mradvanyi on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 12850
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, aka just outside Cambridge.

Re: raspberry pi B with arducam usb camera not working

Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:58 am

Have you checked the kernel logs for any errors? (Use "dmesg")
Does it create /dev/video0 (and /dev/video1) and then not stream, or do those devices not exist?
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

mradvanyi
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Re: raspberry pi B with arducam usb camera not working

Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:31 am

6by9 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:58 am
Have you checked the kernel logs for any errors? (Use "dmesg")
Does it create /dev/video0 (and /dev/video1) and then not stream, or do those devices not exist?
The dmesg messages are as shown on the image. In the devices there are some video devices shown (starting with 10 to 16), but the list does not change after I plug the camera in.
1.png
1.png (56.49 KiB) Viewed 225 times
2.png
2.png (16.22 KiB) Viewed 225 times
When I tried another camera (it's a Microsoft webcam), it connected successfully, and I was able to take pictures with

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 12850
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, aka just outside Cambridge.

Re: raspberry pi B with arducam usb camera not working

Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:29 am

/dev/video10-16 are all memory to memory devices, either video codecs or image resizing. They are normal.

Not getting /dev/video0 when connecting the Arducam camera is abnormal, particularly if other webcams do work.
I would have expected something to be logged on connect/disconnect, even if something else happens to not load the uvcvideo driver.

Does "lsusb" report the device when connected? If so then the snippet from "lsusb -vv" for the webcam may help understand what's going on.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

mradvanyi
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Re: raspberry pi B with arducam usb camera not working

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:52 pm

6by9 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:29 am
/dev/video10-16 are all memory to memory devices, either video codecs or image resizing. They are normal.

Not getting /dev/video0 when connecting the Arducam camera is abnormal, particularly if other webcams do work.
I would have expected something to be logged on connect/disconnect, even if something else happens to not load the uvcvideo driver.

Does "lsusb" report the device when connected? If so then the snippet from "lsusb -vv" for the webcam may help understand what's going on.
The lsusb command outputs this, doesn't matter to which USB port I plug the camera in. However, the indicator LED on the camera is lit up, so it must get power.
3.png
3.png (30.66 KiB) Viewed 187 times
I checked the connections, also tried with another cable, but still nothing.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 12850
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, aka just outside Cambridge.

Re: raspberry pi B with arducam usb camera not working

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:40 pm

Is your Pi sensibly powered? Undervoltage may account for weird behaviour of USB peripherals. Or connect it via a powered USB hub.

Otherwise there's not much more to advise. It's probably worth asking on the Arducam forums - https://www.arducam.com/forum/
https://www.arducam.com/forums/topic/ge ... 0-cameras/ isn't far off your situation, and sounds like a power issue.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

mradvanyi
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Re: raspberry pi B with arducam usb camera not working

Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:10 pm

6by9 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:40 pm
Is your Pi sensibly powered? Undervoltage may account for weird behaviour of USB peripherals. Or connect it via a powered USB hub.

Otherwise there's not much more to advise. It's probably worth asking on the Arducam forums - https://www.arducam.com/forum/
https://www.arducam.com/forums/topic/ge ... 0-cameras/ isn't far off your situation, and sounds like a power issue.
I am using the offical raspberry power supply which outputs the required 5V/3A, so that shouldn't be the problem. But I tried it out with a stronger power supply which one outputs 5V/5A and still it did not recognised the camera. But I will ask this issue in the Arducam forum as well, thank you for your help!

Return to “Troubleshooting”