fivenote

Chromium stuff broken since kernel update

Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:58 pm

Hi Forum!

The last 2 kernel updates seem to have broken a few things in Chromium…

YouTube - after the kernel update a couple weeks ago, videos won’t load most of the time. If you refresh the page a bunch of times, it may play.

Spotify Web Player - after this week’s kernel update, Spotify just skips through the first few songs in the playlist. When it finally stops and plays a song, it quits playing after about 10 seconds.

Not sure if these are bugs in the kernel updates or Chromium not keeping up. Either way, please help raspberry pi devs.

Thanks.

LTolledo

Re: Chromium stuff broken since kernel update

Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:13 pm

it seems....if one has adblocker installed (Pihole or similar hardware/software solution)
"...Youtube forcing users to watch ADs first before playing any desired content......"

auto play does not work either.....even on Chrome (on a w$10)

AFAIK...this is not the realm the RPF devs delve into.... ;)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

fivenote

Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:45 pm

No ad blockers in the mix

The only thing that changed when these stopped working was the kernel updates. Not sure where the problem is, but just reporting to look for some help.

More info about YouTube…. After video fails to load it shows “If playback doesn’t begin shortly, try restarting your device.”

twilightened

Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:34 am

I confirm that Spotify web player no longer works. It skips songs one after another. It used to work perfectly before. I had changed absolutely no setting nor added any extensions to Chromium. It is a pity that the only way to play DRM stuff on RPI is Chromium and when it is broken, it feels like the whole PI is broken.

czarekkwasny

Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:58 am

I have the same issue here. However I didn't update (at least not manually) the packages. Suddenly Spotify started skipping tracks in exactly the same manner. I think it might be related to DRM module (libwidevinecdm0) I noticed it's quite a bit older than on my other linux distributions (4.10.1679.0-1 vs 4.10.2209.0). Did clean reinstall from the USB stick and the issue is persistent.

LTolledo

Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:52 am

during update/upgrade cycle...and if available...chromium gets updated and installed (unless one has put it on HOLD, some has/are doing it)

even Youtube in Chrome (on a w$ setup) is also going bonkers....

I dont use Spotify.... so I don't monitor if an updated version gets pulled during update/upgrade...
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

twiggyxlr4

Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:18 pm

Hi everyone! Starting yesterday I had problems with my Chromium as well on twister Os (based on raspberry pi os) . Mine had DRM support and is not able to play DRM content anymore.
I tried reinstalling Chromium and libeidevinecmd0 manually and nothing seems to be working (even after reinstalling the Chromium and libeidevinecmd0 packages and reboot several times).
I would very much appreciate if anyone can come up with a solution to this. Thank you !

Also there are no chrome extensions in the mix.

YouTube seems to be working fine though..

Botspot

Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:40 pm

twiggyxlr4 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:18 pm
Starting yesterday I had problems with my Chromium as well on twister Os (based on raspberry pi os) . Mine had DRM support and is not able to play DRM content anymore.
Same here. I've tried everything. This is affecting all Chromium Widevine users and all libwidevinecdm0 users. :cry:
Easily install apps on your Pi with Pi-Apps! Over 500k users.
Includes two Zoom desktop apps, 3 ways to run Minecraft, 10 web browsers, appearance themes, and 105 more.
More info: https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps

twiggyxlr4

Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:00 pm

I do hope a fix will be out soon as like someone said earlier , having DRM broken on my pi feels like the whole pi is broken.
Is there any chance I /We could use a timeshift backup to restore just chrome and/or libwidevinecdm0?

SkyRise

Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:17 pm

Please see this thread (specifically the posts by the Mods):
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=318893

bjtheone

Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:00 pm

Jumping forward to a pre-release version of Bullseye likely will resolve the issue since it has the right (patched) version of glibc, but that comes with other risks/issues. Might be a solution if you have a system that is mostly used for media playback.

RPT is working on fixing it but it likely depends on the complexity of backporting the patch to Buster, and how close they are to releasing Bullseye.

This is where it would be nice if Google was more transparent about the schedule of changes/releases they were planning. Especially about things like revoking all the old keys, which requires you to be updated to the latest and greatest.

twiggyxlr4

Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:14 am

Has anyone tried the Debian 11 bullseye build on the rpi4b (8gb) to see if it that might fix the DRM issue ?

Cloudcentric

Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:58 am

twiggyxlr4 wrote:
Has anyone tried the Debian 11 bullseye build on the rpi4b (8gb) to see if it that might fix the DRM issue ?

Afaiaa there is no Official Debian ARMHF / ARM64 support for the Raspberry Pi SBC, though there are non-official here:

https://raspi.debian.net/tested-images

This site is not an official Debian project. While the maintainer (Gunnar Wolf) is a Debian Developer, content herein provided should be considered unofficial.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:24 am

twiggyxlr4 wrote:
I believe our Bullseye release, still in beta, fixes the issue.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

twiggyxlr4

Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:00 pm

I will test the build tomorrow probably and will let you guys know if that fixes it . Wish me luck

AkulaMD

Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:57 am

fivenote wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:58 pm
Hi Forum!

The last 2 kernel updates seem to have broken a few things in Chromium…

YouTube - after the kernel update a couple weeks ago, videos won’t load most of the time. If you refresh the page a bunch of times, it may play.

Spotify Web Player - after this week’s kernel update, Spotify just skips through the first few songs in the playlist. When it finally stops and plays a song, it quits playing after about 10 seconds.

Not sure if these are bugs in the kernel updates or Chromium not keeping up. Either way, please help raspberry pi devs.

Thanks.
I'm experiencing this too. The video won't play the big majority of the time. This really affecting me as 3 of my Raspberry Pi 4s are connected to my TVs for media streaming (mainly YouTube). Been hoping that it will be sorted out in time but even the latest kernel update didn't fix this issue. Hope it will be fixed soon.

fivenote wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:45 pm
No ad blockers in the mix

The only thing that changed when these stopped working was the kernel updates. Not sure where the problem is, but just reporting to look for some help.

More info about YouTube…. After video fails to load it shows “If playback doesn’t begin shortly, try restarting your device.”
I can confirm that this is exactly what i'm getting.
Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) with desktop and recommended software
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8GB at stock speed (never overclock)

Never overclock your Pi.
Encourage optimization instead.

Return to “Troubleshooting”