seldenr

Inkscape On the Pi

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:08 pm

I installed Inkscape by running the commands:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install inkscape
It installed successfully, but I can't figure out where Inkscape is on the Pi! I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I have looked EVERYWHERE!

Thanks!

jbeale

Re: Inkscape On the Pi

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:56 pm

I assume you are using the standard Raspbian OS on your Pi. Having done what you did, I find the executable is available as /usr/bin/inkscape
You can start the program in X windows by going to the programs menu (lower left-hand corner of screen) and looking under the "Other" category, on my system it is in between "Info" and "JACK Control".

I find it extremely slow. It takes several minutes to start up, and just resizing the screen with an empty canvas takes over 10 seconds. This is on a Model A, where it is using some swap space which is never good for speed. Maybe it works better on a 512 MB Model B, but I think this is a heavyweight application that was designed for a larger system like a modern desktop PC.

puzzola

Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:16 pm

Not to necro, this is more "dear people from the future" - If a program is installed, you can type 'which (program name here)' in a terminal to find out its full path. eg

$ which inkscape
/usr/bin/inkscape
P.S.: Inkscape is pretty useable on a Pi 2. Not super lightning fast, but definitely useable :)

MarioPato

Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:48 am

Do you know how to include the gcodetools extension? I made a cnc and i'm testing it with bcnc on my pi zero, and as my laptop is dead i need to create the gcode with it just to see how it works, if it wobbles and need calibration or adjustments. Thanks

SerW

Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:40 am

Hello pals!
Is there native solution (in-native is snap) to install Inkscape 1.0 on Latest RPiOS?
The snap is: https://snapcraft.io/install/inkscape/raspbian.

Return to “Troubleshooting”