Peezus

USB causing Pi to crash

Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:58 pm

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here so I hope I am not repeating this question but I did search around quite a bit and could not find anything quite like the issue I am experiencing. Recently I have been doing some work with a my Raspberry Pi ( running Raspbian) which I just got a few days ago and have virtually no experience with ( though I have been using Linux for a while). I am trying to use the Pi to communicate with a Thrustmaster MFD Cougar (http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/mfd-cougar-pack for a brief overview). Essentially this is just a display with buttons on it.

The issue that I am having is that weather I hot swap the USB plug in or boot the Pi while its plugged up, the Pi freezes and becomes completely unresponsive. I have waited for 30 minutes to see if it will recover but it does not. A colleague of mine is able to plug the his own device into his Pi which has the same OS and is the same build as mine without any trouble. Does anyone have any ideas about what might cause this behaviour or some suggestions about how to figure that out?

Thanks!

DirkS

Re: USB causing Pi to crash

Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:08 pm

What model Pi do you have (B, B+)?

If it's a B+, does the red power Led stay on (so it's not blinking or off)?

Gr.
Dirk.

blachanc

Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:18 pm

I am not sure this comment will help you, but here it goes:

on my B, even hot plugging a wireless USB dongle would make my B reboot.
The B does not play nice with USB hot swap.

An experiment you could try is to use a powered USB hub, and see if it changes anything.

Maybe you could also try your SD card in your friend PI

Having access to a second PI can really help debug that kind of issues.

Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

gandar

Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:23 pm

Most of the time, a less than ideal power supply with power hungry USB dongles is the culprit.

Peezus

Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:38 pm

Thank you for the responses. I have a model B ( I think it has 2 USB ports and a 26 pin header connection), The red LED light remains on and does not blink when the Pi freezes. I will try out a different power supply when I am able and will report back with my findings.

UPDATE: Trying it out with a new power supply fixed the problem! Thanks again for your suggestions.

--Peezus
Last edited by Peezus on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:22 pm

Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

Return to “Troubleshooting”