AkulaMD

Re: Using a Raspberry Pi to flash Windows 10 to a SD card

Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:18 am

Botspot wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:36 am
RasPiGaming wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:24 am
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 0e9590a73f
A question about it on Microsoft's forums got locked. Now I don't think Microsoft is actually supportive of this if they locked a post about it...
First of all, that question was asked nearly a year ago.
Also, the question was off-topic and someone said so:
This is a user forum and not Microsoft. If you want to make a request to Microsoft then use the Feedback Hub.
Overall, I would trust logic, Microsoft employees, Raspberry Pi Foundation's Principal Software Engineer, and Microsoft's friendliness toward the WoR project, more than the fact that one off-topic question got locked on Microsoft's website.
The statement was made in a post by gsh, Director of Software Engineering at Raspberry Pi Trading, a higher authority. The Principal Software Engineer was merely quoting and letting people know abut the statement in a post made by gsh.
gsh wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:29 pm
Yes it is perfectly legal to use the Windows On Raspberry to install the available ARM64 bit image (which you download from Microsoft's servers). Once you do that it will give you an evaluation version of the software and nag you to activate a license (i.e. pay for it).

What isn't legal is downloading an image that has been pre-activated and use the full version of Windows for free (or using some cracked / hacked version of the operating system)

Obviously, the software isn't well supported and the drivers are a little lacking, but it does work.

viewtopic.php?p=1706253#p1706253

Gordon
Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) with desktop and recommended software
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8GB at stock speed (never overclock)

Never overclock your Pi.
Encourage optimization instead.

RasPiGaming

Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:18 pm

AkulaMD wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:18 am
Botspot wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:36 am
RasPiGaming wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:24 am
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 0e9590a73f
A question about it on Microsoft's forums got locked. Now I don't think Microsoft is actually supportive of this if they locked a post about it...
First of all, that question was asked nearly a year ago.
Also, the question was off-topic and someone said so:
This is a user forum and not Microsoft. If you want to make a request to Microsoft then use the Feedback Hub.
Overall, I would trust logic, Microsoft employees, Raspberry Pi Foundation's Principal Software Engineer, and Microsoft's friendliness toward the WoR project, more than the fact that one off-topic question got locked on Microsoft's website.
The statement was made in a post by gsh, Director of Software Engineering at Raspberry Pi Trading, a higher authority. The Principal Software Engineer was merely quoting and letting people know abut the statement in a post made by gsh.
gsh wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:29 pm
Yes it is perfectly legal to use the Windows On Raspberry to install the available ARM64 bit image (which you download from Microsoft's servers). Once you do that it will give you an evaluation version of the software and nag you to activate a license (i.e. pay for it).

What isn't legal is downloading an image that has been pre-activated and use the full version of Windows for free (or using some cracked / hacked version of the operating system)

Obviously, the software isn't well supported and the drivers are a little lacking, but it does work.

viewtopic.php?p=1706253#p1706253

Gordon
1: Multiple got locked (most of them), I looked.
2: I was talking about if the WoR project is legal itself, not the process of installing Windows.
An RPi can be a gaming PC. As long as you have the right packages and software anyway.
Using a RPi4 8GB with Ubuntu Desktop 21.04, main interests are gaming and programming. Also occasionally uses two RPi3B+ and a RPi3B.

mariobl

Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:05 pm

RasPiGaming wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:18 pm
1: Multiple got locked (most of them), I looked.
2: I was talking about if the WoR project is legal itself, not the process of installing Windows.
This thread has answers to all of your questions.

MK97_2007

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:02 am

Hello
I had ask on Microsoft forums. They told me it’s is Illegal to use windows inactivated. But have installations seems to be legal.

Cloudcentric

Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:14 am

MK97_2007 wrote:
Hello
I had ask on Microsoft forums. They told me it’s is Illegal to use windows inactivated. But have installations seems to be legal.

Until an Official Microsoft Statement, everything else posted is conjecture, though if you have a License it does appear to be legal.

What *may* happen is Microsoft will block future updates on unsupported hardware, as they have threatend with Windows 11.

Personally untill the Raspberry Pi Hardware is fully supported, do not see much benefit ;)

MK97_2007

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:23 pm

Cloudcentric wrote:
MK97_2007 wrote:
Hello

Until an Official Microsoft Statement, everything else posted is conjecture, though if you have a License it does appear to be legal.

What *may* happen is Microsoft will block future updates on unsupported hardware, as they have threatend with Windows 11.

Personally untill the Raspberry Pi Hardware is fully supported, do not see much benefit ;)
So it it illegal to use on a pi if you dont wanna spend money on a licens

Cloudcentric

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:39 pm

MK97_2007 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:23 pm
Cloudcentric wrote:
MK97_2007 wrote:
Hello

So it it illegal to use on a pi if you dont wanna spend money on a licens

All Microsoft Software requires a License, on any machine / operating system, without a Licence Key it runs in restrictive mode:

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-us ... activation

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:40 pm

Does botspots process still work? Getting an error while trying to download something.

arm64_microsoft-windows-printing-fdprint_blah blah.devicemetadata-ms

blob not found

Any thoughts?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

Botspot

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:29 pm

jamesh wrote:
Does botspots process still work? Getting an error while trying to download something.

blob not found

Any thoughts?
UUPdump has been somewhat unstable recently. Until they fix it, specifying an older Windows Update-ID ought to fix the problem.
See this github issue: https://github.com/Botspot/wor-flasher/issues/41
Easily install apps on your Pi with Pi-Apps! Over 500k users.
Includes two Zoom desktop apps, 3 ways to run Minecraft, 10 web browsers, appearance themes, and 105 more.
More info: https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps

AkulaMD

Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:56 pm

Botspot wrote:
jamesh wrote:

blob not found

Any thoughts?
UUPdump has been somewhat unstable recently. Until they fix it, specifying an older Windows Update-ID ought to fix the problem.
Hi Botspot. Is the issue still persist? Thank you in advance.
Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) with desktop and recommended software
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8GB at stock speed (never overclock)

Never overclock your Pi.
Encourage optimization instead.

Botspot

Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:03 pm

AkulaMD wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:56 pm
Botspot wrote:
Hi Botspot. Is the issue still persist? Thank you in advance.
I have "fixed" the issue by adding the aforementioned workaround to the script. It now uses an older Windows Update-ID by default to allow a successful download.
https://github.com/Botspot/wor-flasher/ ... -926107655
Includes two Zoom desktop apps, 3 ways to run Minecraft, 10 web browsers, appearance themes, and 105 more.

cjan

Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:41 am

how to overclock Pi after installed and get rid of boot from net crap.

Botspot

Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:57 am

cjan wrote:
how to overclock Pi after installed
One of WoR's developers has made a self-contained windows program to change overclock settings from within Windows. It's called WoR-CP and the only official way to download it is by joining their Discord server and scrolling up a ways in the #announcements channel to find the latest version.
Alternatively, you can insert your Windows sd card into a Linux computer, find the right partition, and edit the config.txt file from there.
cjan wrote:
and get rid of boot from net crap.
If I understand correctly, that netboot stuff is just rogue output from the UEFI and can safely be ignored. I can say that netbooting does not occur during the boot process, though if you want more information I suggest asking the WoR developers themselves.

cjan

Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:55 am

Botspot wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:57 am
If I understand correctly, that netboot stuff is just rogue output from the UEFI and can safely be ignored. I can say that netbooting does not occur during the boot process, though if you want more information I suggest asking the WoR developers themselves.
net booting check take too long, 5 minutes maybe.
btw, how to clone installed sdcard to a SSD.

GlowInTheDark

Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:03 pm

Personally until the Raspberry Pi Hardware is fully supported, do not see much benefit
Or even then.
Poster of inconvenient truths.

Back from a short vacation. Did you miss me?

Botspot

Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:13 pm

cjan wrote:
net booting check take too long, 5 minutes maybe.
The UEFI is doing more than waiting during those five minutes. It has to setup a compatible virtual-hardware interface for Windows to boot from.
You could call it the "pre-boot procedure". ;)
cjan wrote:
btw, how to clone installed sdcard to a SSD.
I'm sure there's a windows-specific tool to do it, but being a Linux guy I'd personally use a tool like dd. If you choose to use dd, you would shutdown your windows Pi, and insert the sd card into a Linux computer. Also you would insert the destination drive into the linux computer. Then you would determine the device paths to both source and destination. Example device path: /dev/sda
Then it's easy to use dd to copy the data from the source drive (a sd card in this case) to the destination drive (a SSD in this case).

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M status=progress
(Of course, the /dev/sda and /dev/sdb I used in the above command are examples and will not match the device-paths on your linux computer)
If you need more help, there are plenty of dd tutorials on the Internet. Just a word of warning: dd will happily overwrite anything you tell it to, so be careful and double-check everything before pressing the Enter key.

Return to “Advanced users”