jeremym

Re: Upgrading Raspberry Pi OS Buster to Bullseye for Testing Purposes

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:44 pm

RonR wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:09 pm
Only Raspberry Pi OS package sources are changed from Buster to Bullseye by the script.
You've misunderstood me, RonR.

The only package source we have in common is:

Code: Select all

http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian bullseye InRelease

I have these other two package sources:

http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye InRelease
http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates InRelease

And, this is your other package source:

http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian bullseye InRelease

I was asking why we had different package sources (me only debian and you debian & raspbian), but I've now worked out that's because I'm running the 64-bit beta.

DougieLawson

Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:50 pm

RonR wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:10 pm
The attached script will upgrade Raspberry Pi OS Buster (32-bit or 64-bit) to Bullseye.
Thank you. I've upgraded a 3A system I'd rebuilt with Buster in January. Sixteen to go.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on Twitter/LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

andrum99

Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:31 pm

Seems to work. One observation: there is at least one Raspberry Pi bullseye package that has been updated in source but is not yet available in "binary" form - rpi-chromium-mods. I suspect there may be others, so this is probably not representative of what things will look like once Raspberry Pi OS' bullseye-based version is released.

agoldcheidt

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:55 pm

It works. I've used this script to generate a custom Bullseye Berryboot image, in return, I want to share an already (standalone) bullseye image for those who want to save some time. I've made this with the latest Buster Raspberry Pi OS release (05.07.21) under a Raspberry Pi Zero. It should work on all Raspberry Pi Devices.

The image is available here:

https://berrybeta.alexgoldcheidt.com/non-berryboot/

Thanks to @RonR
Last edited by agoldcheidt on Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidcoton

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:19 pm

agoldcheidt wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:55 pm
The image is available here
Link removed in this quote.
The trouble is, we don't know who you are, or what your intention is.
It is rule one of computer security NOT to download random files which may or may not be what they claim, whether the person posting/hosting knows it or not.
Please don't download random links.
Please don't post your image unless there is some way of verifying it against source (which, in any case, is more work than doing the update oneself, and not a complete safeguard as there is more source in an OS image than any one person can check).
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

agoldcheidt

Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:43 pm

Link removed in this quote.
The trouble is, we don't know who you are, or what your intention is.
It is rule one of computer security NOT to download random files which may or may not be what they claim, whether the person posting/hosting knows it or not.
Please don't download random links.
Please don't post your image unless there is some way of verifying it against source (which, in any case, is more work than doing the update oneself, and not a complete safeguard as there is more source in an OS image than any one person can check).

Hi @davidcoton, yes, that's sounds logical. Well, maybe I'm not active in this forum but I've been active in the Raspberry Pi stage for around 7 years. You can verify that by searching my previous threads here in this forum, only 2 and they are related with Berryboot. I’m not part of the Berryboot project nor its developer team but I contribute to it as much as I can. My sourceforge repository, github repository and main website can tell you about it.

The main reason of my reply and custom image is to contribute to this community, since I've used a custom script for free, the least I can do is to retribute that with a custom bullseye image for free too, maybe for those who want to save some time. However, you're freely to try it or not. I've just downloaded the latest Buster release for Raspberry Pi Zero and execute @RonR's script. It works on my end and I'm working on a 64-bit build right now (based on dockerpi).

Again, the image is available here:

https://berrybeta.alexgoldcheidt.com/non-berryboot/

Thanks for the "warning" @davidcoton, have a great day.
Last edited by agoldcheidt on Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:46 pm

please don't post clickable links to perhaps unsafe code!

users, please don't run "unofficial" releases, you don't know what they can do!

just wait until the official release of bullseye

agoldcheidt

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:24 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:46 pm
please don't post clickable links to perhaps unsafe code!
users, please don't run "unofficial" releases, you don't know what they can do!
just wait until the official release of bullseye

Hi @mahjongg, good day. Fair enough, thanks for the suggestion, from now on I'll not post "clickable" links. Quick comment: I made that custom image by myself and I've tried to keep it as clean as possible to keep the size of the image as low as possible but sure, this is for testing purpose only, in some devices issues may be present.

To users of this community: I can't offer full support on them but if you find any issue, let me know it, I'll take a look. Also, I'll not mind to take requests, if for some reason you need an OS image build with preinstalled packages and you can't build it on your end, let me know it, I can help.

Lastly, for those who don't trust my contributions, you can actually download official testing bullseye images here:

https://raspi.debian.net/tested-images/

However, @RonR's script is awesome.

hdtodd

Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:32 pm

Wow! Thanks, Ron!

After getting the firmware on my Pi-4's updated with your help (and your script), I finally got around to trying the Buster-->Bullseye upgrade script on a spare SSD. Buster was current with upgrades. Bullseye update script worked like a charm. I had to intervene by typing "Y" a few times, but otherwise pretty much automatic. Tested a few of my own programs, some with recompilation after running Buster-compiled code successfully, and no problems found so far.

On a Pi-4B, 4GB, USB-3 connected USB (boot) drive, the process took 34 minutes.

The only problem I've found so far is that I can't connect with my Bluetooth keyboard. Works on this Pi with the other SSD (running Buster), so I know it's something in the Bullseye configuration or software. I ssh in and start an X shell from my Mac, so I can fiddle with it and explore the desktop environment, but I can't yet log in directly to the login screen. Trying to force a Bluetooth connection to the Logitech 830 Keyboard from that desktop environment hasn't worked yet, either. If anyone has found and fixed that, let me know.

Again, Ron, thanks for all your hard work on this. Makes experimenting with this SOOOO much easier!

David

hdtodd

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:39 pm

Re connecting Logitech K830 keyboard in Bluetooth mode: had to re-pair with the Pi-4 running Bullseye. It was paired with the Buster from which this SSD was cloned, but I had to re-pair it with the Bullseye install to make the connection.

RonR

Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:37 am

It appears the problem described below has been corrected with an accompanying raspberrypi-sys-mods package update.

Make sure that dhcpcd5, raspi-config, and raspberrypi-sys-mods packages are all updated at the same tine.

If the problem is encountered, the remedies described below remain the solution.

==========

If the "System Options -> Network at Boot" option in raspi-config is enabled (Would you like boot to wait until a network connection is established? -> Yes) when the dhcpcd5 package is updated to the latest version (1:8.1.2-1+rpt1 -> 1:8.1.2-1+rpt2), the Raspberry Pi will fail to obtain a DHCP IP address following the next reboot or startup. This problem can be avoided by disabling and re-enabling the "System Options -> Network at Boot" option using the latest raspi-config after the dhcpcd5 package has been updated and prior to the system being shutdown or rebooted. The problem can also be resolved after the dhcpcd5 package has been updated by editing /etc/systemd/system/dhcpcd.service.d/wait.conf and changing its contents from:

[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/usr/lib/dhcpcd5/dhcpcd -q -w
to:

[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dhcpcd -w

jeremym

Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:21 pm

RonR wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:37 am
It appears the problem described below has been corrected with an accompanying raspberrypi-sys-mods package update.

Make sure that dhcpcd5, raspi-config, and raspberrypi-sys-mods packages are all updated at the same tine.

If the problem is encountered, the remedies described below remain the solution.

==========

... The problem can also be resolved after the dhcpcd5 package has been updated by editing /etc/systemd/system/dhcpcd.service.d/wait.conf and changing its contents from:

[Service]
ExecStart=
to:

[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dhcpcd -w
Thanks RonR, you're a lifesaver.

I changed

to a comment in /etc/systemd/system/dhcpcd.service.d/wait.conf, and after upgrading raspberrypi-sys-mods, that line was changed to

#ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dhcpcd -q -w
On my Raspberry Pi 4, that didn't get upgraded until the raspberrypi-sys-mods upgrade was available, there is no /etc/systemd/system/dhcpcd.service.d/wait.conf file.

So, should /etc/systemd/system/dhcpcd.service.d/wait.conf, exist or not, after upgrading raspberrypi-sys-mods, and if yes, should the line

ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dhcpcd -q -w
be commented or not?

Also, why are my Pi 4's upgrading to unstable package versions? Is that a result of running the 64 bit beta version or running Bullseye, or something else? And, can I change the package sources to move to stable package versions, instead?

RonR

Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:48 pm

jeremym wrote:
So, should /etc/systemd/system/dhcpcd.service.d/wait.conf, exist or not, after upgrading raspberrypi-sys-mods, and if yes, should the line

ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dhcpcd -q -w
be commented or not?

/etc/systemd/system/dhcpcd.service.d/wait.conf will be deleted if the "System Options -> Network at Boot" option in raspi-config is disabled.

/etc/systemd/system/dhcpcd.service.d/wait.conf will be created if the "System Options -> Network at Boot" option in raspi-config is enabled.

You don't need to edit it or comment anything. raspi-config will create it correctly if all the latest updates are installed.
jeremym wrote:
Also, why are my Pi 4's upgrading to unstable package versions? Is that a result of running the 64 bit beta version or running Bullseye, or something else? And, can I change the package sources to move to stable package versions, instead?

This is apparently part of the Buster to Bullseye transition that is in progress by the Raspberry Pi OS developers. Go with the flow...

craigevil

Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:55 pm

No issues here with dhcpcd5.

policy dhcpcd5
dhcpcd5:
  Installed: 1:8.1.2-1+rpt2
  Candidate: 1:8.1.2-1+rpt2
  Version table:
 *** 1:8.1.2-1+rpt2 500
        500 https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian bullseye/main arm64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:8.1.2-1+rpt1 500
        500 https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster/main arm64 Packages
     7.1.0-2 500
        500 https://deb.debian.org/debian unstable/main arm64 Packages
Must be because I have "Do not wait" . I have never changed the settings that I can remember.
Raspberry PI 400 Raspberry Pi OS (Debian Bookworm/sid) Kernel: 5.10.63-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"

peter64

Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:43 am

Hey RonR,

Big thanks for posting this script. It works really well. I was curious though if anyone else is having trouble accessing the raspberry pi camera under bullseye. the whole "/opt/vc/" folder is missing for me now. I tried reinstalling the related library packages but it didn't seem to help, are the files present for others?

Thanks!

```
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall libraspberrypi0 libraspberrypi-dev libraspberrypi-doc libraspberrypi-bin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 435 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian bullseye/main armhf libraspberrypi-bin armhf 1:2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1 [75.8 kB]
Get:2 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian bullseye/main armhf libraspberrypi-dev armhf 1:2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1 [180 kB]
Get:3 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian bullseye/main armhf libraspberrypi-doc all 1:2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1 [1,656 B]
Get:4 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian bullseye/main armhf libraspberrypi0 armhf 1:2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1 [177 kB]
Fetched 435 kB in 36s (12.0 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 101498 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libraspberrypi-bin_1%3a2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libraspberrypi-bin (1:2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1) over (1:2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libraspberrypi-dev_1%3a2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libraspberrypi-dev (1:2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1) over (1:2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libraspberrypi-doc_1%3a2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking libraspberrypi-doc (1:2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1) over (1:2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libraspberrypi0_1%3a2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libraspberrypi0 (1:2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1) over (1:2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1) ...
Setting up libraspberrypi0 (1:2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1) ...
Setting up libraspberrypi-bin (1:2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1) ...
Setting up libraspberrypi-dev (1:2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1) ...
Setting up libraspberrypi-doc (1:2+git20210928~141951+6e8f786-1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.31-13+rpt2+rpi1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.4-2) ...
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -Al /opt/vc/bin/raspivid
ls: cannot access '/opt/vc/bin/raspivid': No such file or directory
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -Al /opt/vc/
ls: cannot access '/opt/vc/': No such file or directory
```

UPDATE:
I managed to work around the missing files and libraries with the following set of commands
```
git clone https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware
sudo cp -r firmware/hardfp/opt/vc /opt/
echo "/opt/vc/lib" > opt-vc.conf
sudo chown root.root opt-vc.conf
sudo mv opt-vc.conf /etc/ld.so.conf.d/
sudo ldconfig
```

I think there may be some other issues with package config differences and what not, but those commands served my purposes. They were borrowed from the following page. https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... clude-them

fileophile

Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:17 am

I ran the script and updated my Pi 4 to Bullseye 64-bit. However, I lost my GUI - when rebooting I end up at the command line with the error “ Cannot open display "default display" “. I’m hoping there is a simple fix for this and I won’t have to roll back.

If there are a selection of options for a GUI, I was fine with the Raspian Buster one, but am willing to try something new if folks think there is an added benefit (esp. a performance benefit).

fileophile

Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:23 pm

Forgot to mention that I did start raspi-config from command line and set pi to boot to desktop, not just the terminal. That didn’t fix the problem.

davclark

Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:32 pm

peter64 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:43 am
I was curious though if anyone else is having trouble accessing the raspberry pi camera under bullseye. the whole "/opt/vc/" folder is missing for me now. I tried reinstalling the related library packages but it didn't seem to help, are the files present for others?
I was also having trouble accessing the camera, and appreciate you sharing your approach here. As in your case, `/opt/vc` was missing entirely.

I'll point out that you don't really need the whole git repo in this case, and the following will download much faster than a `git clone` (you can also visit the GitHub repo in a web browser and find a download link under the "Code" dropdown):

wget https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/archive/refs/heads/master.zip
EDIT: While I can now get an `ldd` to report the installed version of raspistill using the libs in `/opt/vc/lib`, I can't even get that binary to work to save a JPEG:

$ /opt/vc/bin/raspistill -o test.jpg
mmal: Cannot read camera info, keeping the defaults for OV5647
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not enabled in this build. Try running "sudo raspi-config" and ensure that "camera" has been enabled
My video driver also remains llvmpipe (checked with `glxinfo` in `mesa-utils`), which I think means the libcamera stuff can't work (more on that below), even though the tail of my `/boot/config.txt` looks like this (only uncommented lines retained:

disable_overscan=1
dtparam=audio=on

[pi4]
max_framebuffers=2

[all]
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
gpu_mem=256
camera_auto_detect=1
It's a pi3, so the pi4 bit shouldn't apply, if I understand correctly. I don't see anything that looks like an error in `dmesg`.

The output from `libcamera-hello` indicates that libcamera can at least find the camera:

libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
    [... libcamera v0.0.0, configuring streams and enumerating modes ...] 
[0:07:30.084902764] [1530]  INFO RPI raspberrypi.cpp:620 Sensor: /base/soc/i2c0mux/i2c@1/imx219@10 - Selected mode: 1640x1232-pRAA
[0:07:30.223066121] [1530]  INFO RPISTREAM rpi_stream.cpp:122 No buffers available for ISP Output0
[0:07:30.223178412] [1530]  INFO RPISTREAM rpi_stream.cpp:122 No buffers available for ISP Output0
[0:07:30.223222214] [1530]  INFO RPISTREAM rpi_stream.cpp:122 No buffers available for ISP Output0
[0:07:30.308301711] [1530]  INFO RPI raspberrypi.cpp:1635 Dropping frame at the request of the IPA (6 left)
   [... the above repeats / counts down 6 more times ...]
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  failed to import fd 21
Aborted
So, I'm giving up for now - I understand we're in testing, I tested, and my interest in a working camera failed testing. I remain curious if anyone can access a raspi camera on raspbian bullseye!

Return to “Advanced users”