toddkay

Stream audio FROM Pi input TO other AirPlay/Shairport

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Hey guys, I'm putting the final touches on a Pi stereo whose original primary purpose is to play music streamed FROM your iDevice TO the Pi stereo via Shairport. That part's easy. However, the stereo has dual functionality, with a record player built in to also play vinyls. The icing on the cake will be to wire the record player to the input of the Pi, streaming that audio back OUT to OTHER AirPlay/Shairport devices.

I haven't found a ton of information on this process. Is there a known way of taking the audio input of the Pi (via a USB soundcard), and stream that source out over WiFi to other AirPlay/Shairport devices?

I'm also open to streaming the audio up to a web server, if that feed can then be picked up using an iPhone or laptop and relayed to the AirPlay.

Thanks a lot guys, looking forward to getting this final step figured out!

P.S. Here's some shots of the whole build process; newest pics are at the bottom:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1770617

pronkert

Re: Stream audio FROM Pi input TO other AirPlay/Shairport

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:43 pm

The above is similar to what I am looking for:
I would like to connect my turntable to a small preamp which outputs the amplified audio signal to a Raspberry Pi which transmits the audio signal to my Airport Express.
This way I can have a "stand alone" turntable.
So, I was wondering if there's been any progress on the setup mentioned above.

acousticmood

Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Any ideas come out on this?

zjdrummond

Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:18 pm

Did anyone ever figure this out? I would love to connect my audio amplifier's tape output to my AirPlay network. Playing my records across the whole house would be sick for parties.

zjdrummond

Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:15 pm

I've been looking into this, and I've found that the Wolfson audio cards have inputs on them. With your analog line level audio source plugged into this you could use the VLC player's stream audio function to do exactly what has been talked about in this thread. I haven't tried this, but I will be as soon as I get all of the hardware myself.

This isn't really the same thing as AirPlay, but it's similar. You would have to have two machines running VLC to do it too.

I also want to be able to stream my turntable across my wifi. Honestly I wish that the audio streamer distros for the Raspberry Pi like Volumio, and Max2Play would just support this kind of thing out of the box. I'm sure if the software devs wrote the feature into their code that the hardware makers would follow their lead.

Does anyone smarter than me know of a way to set up a Raspbian, or Ubuntu based system to automatically boot into VLC's streaming function? Is that sort of thing possible? It would be nice to have a little Pi just hidden away in my hi-fi system constantly streaming whatever is playing.

Return to “Media centres”