forbidden characters

What NAS Software, OS?

Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:30 pm

Hi
Well I am just a beginner and need a NAS System for storing all my Data. I got 2x 18TB External USB HDD also a M2 256GB SSD ( :roll: I hat to buy some stuff to get free shipping so the SSD was theoretically "free". What I need is:
1) a Software Raid 1 for my 2x HDD (if there would be some Validation, CRC,.. be fine to)
2) use my SSD as an Cache when I found a HAT who allow me to get the max. Speed as Possible.
3) maybe use an unused Part of the Ram (i have an 4 and an 8 GB Pi "left over".) as an Cache to.

Software wise:
4) The System run stable without any Beta or what ever status. I dont want loose my Data (again).
5) add various User with different permission like Folder: "XY" User a can read only, user b can read and write,...
6) If there is a Build in HTML5 Media Player to play MP3 Playlist via the WebGui.
7) Access via FTP to Upload files when I am abroad and the Internet Connection is Choopy and laggs.
8) Use my old Ublox USB GPS for a Time Server
(9) I saw there is a Plugin for OpenMediaVault who can shutdown when the UPS switch into Accu Mode. Well I would use such a Feature via Lan only.)
A German Online News Site recommend OpenMediaVault.
So what is better a NAS Software or some Cloud one?!
Thanks!

ejolson

Re: What NAS Software, OS?

Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:26 pm

forbidden characters wrote:
Hi
Well I am just a beginner and need a NAS System for storing all my Data. I got 2x 18TB External USB HDD also a M2 256GB SSD ( :roll: I hat to buy some stuff to get free shipping so the SSD was theoretically "free". What I need is:
1) a Software Raid 1 for my 2x HDD (if there would be some Validation, CRC,.. be fine to)
2) use my SSD as an Cache when I found a HAT who allow me to get the max. Speed as Possible.
3) maybe use an unused Part of the Ram (i have an 4 and an 8 GB Pi "left over".) as an Cache to.

Software wise:
4) The System run stable without any Beta or what ever status. I dont want loose my Data (again).
5) add various User with different permission like Folder: "XY" User a can read only, user b can read and write,...
6) If there is a Build in HTML5 Media Player to play MP3 Playlist via the WebGui.
7) Access via FTP to Upload files when I am abroad and the Internet Connection is Choopy and laggs.
(9) I saw there is a Plugin for OpenMediaVault who can shutdown when the UPS switch into Accu Mode. Well I would use such a Feature via Lan only.)
Thanks!
In my opinion a RAID1 mirror made of two 18 TB hard disks is unlikely to provide sufficient redundancy or reliability to prevent loss of data. At the very least you will need an uninterruptible power supply to properly run a RAID system.

These days my preferred solution is to use streaming incremental snapshots from a main file server to a number of independent backup servers. This could be two Pi computers each with one 18 TB hard disk or even three. I suspect other people have other recommendations.

LTolledo

Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:40 pm

same here....am not a RAID user*...but I have some form of mirroring of my files to other devices...
*even converted my RAID1 capable device to show and use as a 2-drive system

as for the software...if you think OMV is the right thing for you, that fulfills your requirements.... then go for it...
my requirements are quite simple..... negating the use of OMV...
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

thagrol

Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:57 pm

Hi
Not possible in a HAT. The fastest interface available on pre 4B models is USB 2, on the 4B it's USB 3. CM4 has an exposed single lane PCIe v2 connector.
Linux will already be doing disc caching for you. And will likely do a better job of it than you can do manually.
Software wise:
RPiOS lite, NFS and samba are all you need. Both are stable and support user access control. NFS is not supported by WIndows clients but is preferred for linux ones.
No idea. Sorry
sftp is available out of the box. You may need to enable ssh and configure port forwarding on your router or, better, use a VPN for incoming connections.
Should be possible if your GPS can connect over USB or serial.
There are linux packages that can do this too, again providing your UPS can interface to the Pi.
I use bare NFS/samba. For my usage NAS/Cloud sofware adds more complexity and points of failure.

Couple of additional points:
  • RAID1 (or RAID5, etc.) is not a substitue for backups. RAID protects against hardware failure but not against human error.
  • You may need to use a 64bit OS. ext4 on a 32bit OS can't handle more than 16TB. Not sure about other file systems.
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

bls

Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:07 pm

More generally, if you're comfortable working with the Linux command line, you don't need OMV or other GUI-type or packaged solutions, because all the needed capabilities, as noted by @thagrol, are part of RasPiOS (and most other Linux distros).

OTOH, if the command line looks like greek to you, then OMV should be a good solution for you. There are other solutions that a few minutes with YFSE* will reveal to you.

* Your favorite search engine :roll:
Pi tools:
Quickly and easily build customized-just-for-you SSDs/SD Cards: https://github.com/gitbls/sdm
Easily run and manage your network's DHCP/DNS servers on a Pi: https://github.com/gitbls/ndm
Easy and secure strongSwan VPN installer/manager: https://github.com/gitbls/pistrong
Lightweight Virtual VNC Config: https://github.com/gitbls/RPiVNCHowTo

swampdog

Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:16 am

Usb issues aside, I'm not sure I would trust a raid1 disk that big not to fail(*) whilst rebuilding the other disk. Your simplest solution is to keep them as independent disks then "rsync" the data to the other.

If you were planning to add two more of those disks in the near future you might consider raid6 which can tolerate two failures from four disks. Now that I've mentioned the possibility, best forget it because it would not be trivial - and there'd still be no backup: plus; these kind of scenarios tend to lend themselves to having logical volume manager (LVM) sat on top.

If you stick with the rsync method then you could write a script that (say) once per day, mounted the second disk, rsync'd it, then unmounted it. That way if there was a power failure or other fault, the unmounted disk would likely survive albeit with the loss of a day's data. With the right kind of adapter the unmounted disk may have even powered down. Also, with a simple filesystem (eg: ext4) on each, you could attach the good disk to a PC if necessary.

(*) my raid6 nas (albeit old sata) is set to take 16 hours to rebuild 2Tb of a 4Tb disk. I could speed it up but it is also in use which slows things down a lot. No point having raid if you have to stop everything using it during a rebuild! If it had 18Tb disks it would take best part of 6 days. Consider also, it performs a sync check each sunday so it would never be running properly. It's this kind of problem which killed off raid5: folk would populate with all new disks plus a hot spare but with disks getting ever larger the chance of a second disk failing when the hot spare got pulled in became significant. All the disks have the same mtbf (meantime before failure) - one fails, the hot spare gets pulled in - the array is hammered like it's never been before just as all the disks have reached their mtbf.

Heater

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:47 pm

RAID is not a back solution. You stand a good chance of losing all your data again. No single machine should be considered a bullet proof backup, RAID or whatever.

If you value your data put it on separate machines. Preferably more than just two. In different locations, in case the house burns down or whatever disaster. Be sure you have a means to detect when any one of those fails or corrupts any data.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “Networking and servers”