Sonel

Can you deliver RPis without any connectors soldered?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:12 am

Hello,

Would it be possible to have several RPi delivered without any connectors soldered on (USB, Ethernet, HDMI, etc.)? For embedded robotics projects the connectors are practically useless and add bulk.

Thanks,

Alex.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Can you deliver RPis without any connectors soldered?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:18 am

As the Pi A & B are made on a production line, it is more expensive to not put on the connectors, though it appears it is feasible to un-solder them yourself !

The Pi Compute Module may be worth investigating though

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi ... ew-product

http://www.raspberrypi.org/more-compute-module-docs

http://www.raspberrypi.org/compute-modu ... -available
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:37 am

Sonel wrote:Hello,

Would it be possible to have several RPi delivered without any connectors soldered on (USB, Ethernet, HDMI, etc.)? For embedded robotics projects the connectors are practically useless and add bulk.

Thanks,

Alex.
Fruits right - custom runs through the production line cost a hell of a lot, so something with less connectors would be very expensive.

The CM might be what you need.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

Sonel

Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:35 am

Thanks all the the comments. Sincerely the CM seems a little expensive at this moment and also restrictive on the Linux distro supported. But having support for 2 cameras is quite an interesting feature as this opens the door for some cool stereo vision processing.

Regarding the connectors - I remember seen in a film some time ago that they are actully mounted by hand in a second step in the production process (after the SMDs are soldered). Maybe someone knows someone at the Sony factory that can confirm if indeed there are boards without connectors at one point in time that can be taken off the production flow. Of course they might have not been fully tested - but sincerely I heared the fault ratio is extremely low so I would be happy to take the chance with a half tested board.

Alex.

jamesh

Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:39 am

I'm afraid it's just not going to happen - everything is pretty automatic I believe - it has to be to produce the numbers required (over 8k per day).

Note that the CM (by itself) will be around $30 - the IO board is 'expensive', but not if you make you own. I expect there will be cheap mounting boards available at some point.

And the distro on the CM is the same as the Raspi itself. It is basically the same device in a different form factor.

mikerr

Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:56 am

It's a common request, but nowhere near enough to do a custom run on the production line.

Easy enough to take off the analogue video and audio connectors:

http://blog.pistuffing.co.uk/?p=1349

A 3rd party company could desolder connectors and sell " depopulated Pi ", but would you pay extra ?
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Cancelor

Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:41 am

If someone placed an order for 8,000 or 1 day's worth of production could it be done?
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

RaTTuS

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:57 pm

I still want a sixpack version .... ;-p
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Cancelor wrote:If someone placed an order for 8,000 or 1 day's worth of production could it be done?
Probably (But I don;t work for Sony/RS/Farnell)

That would be $280,000 please.

Finding 8000 people who want a fairly useless board would be the difficult bit.

Also, much cheaper to get a base board for the CM designed and built which has the features you want on it.

PiGraham

Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:23 pm

jamesh wrote:
Cancelor wrote:If someone placed an order for 8,000 or 1 day's worth of production could it be done?

:D

At those volumes Chancelor could probably get quite a nice price on Compute Modules & custom carrier boards.

donatien

Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:34 pm

I would advise using loads of flux and a rework station :).
I would be quite interested to see which kind of "custom", compute module-based Raspberry Pis people come up with!
Launched a Kickstarter project for easy NFC in Python with the Raspberry Pi, back it now: http://bit.ly/micronfcboard/

jamesh

Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:43 pm

PiGraham wrote:
jamesh wrote:

At those volumes Chancelor could probably get quite a nice price on Compute Modules & custom carrier boards.
Yup!

gsh

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:26 pm

Actually no, it costs much more to change the production run than just not populating a set of connections...

The problem is it changes the way the hardware is tested and therefore would require extra work to do it...

It also requires that someone reprogram the machines for the SMT placing

And it requires that James or I have to do some work... Add all that together and you end up with a fairly big expense, especially when you consider all the other work we're trying to do at the moment!

Gordon
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Chief Product Officer

jamesh

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:53 pm

gsh wrote:Actually no, it costs much more to change the production run than just not populating a set of connections...

The problem is it changes the way the hardware is tested and therefore would require extra work to do it...

And it requires that James or I have to do some work... Add all that together and you end up with a fairly big expense, especially when you consider all the other work we're trying to do at the moment!

Gordon
That's a different James btw.

PiGraham

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:55 pm

gsh wrote:Actually no, it costs much more to change the production run than just not populating a set of connections...

Gordon
Is that in reply to me?

I meant that buying 8000 stock compute modules, with stock firmware, and 8000 of his own designed and sourced carrier board might get to a similar price to a one-off model B.

The OP mentions "embedded robotics projects" which might not require anything special to use CM.

Cancelor

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:14 pm

PiGraham wrote:
jamesh wrote:

True, coz the first thing I'd have to do is solder something on to it :!: :idea: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why do I feel like I dug a hole and fell into it?!
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

jamesh

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:18 pm

PiGraham wrote:

Gordon
Is that in reply to me?

I meant that buying 8000 stock compute modules, with stock firmware, and 8000 of his own designed and sourced carrier board might get to a similar price to a one-off model B.

The OP mentions "embedded robotics projects" which might not require anything special to use CM.
I think it's aimed at my 'probably' comment a bit further up. Gordon doesn't do quotes!

I agree - much cheaper to build your own CM board.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”