Rmwither1

Utilizing Multiple RPIs as Cameras and Hub

Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:45 pm

So I'm hoping for some direction from those more experienced than myself. I've been a huge RPI fan for years. I'm currently utilizing an OG RPI B+ as a PiHole on my home network, as well as an RPI 3B+ running Retropie, wired in with a Mausberry ignition circuit, acting as a mobile media center in my conversion van.

I'm looking to install 4x (possibly more) cameras in my van (dash, rear view, driver/front passenger, passenger cabin, etc), with the feeds being recorded to an external HDD. From reading other posts regarding multiple camera setups, I am aware of the RPI's limitations when it comes to processing multiple cameras feeds simultaneously, so I am thinking of using an individual RPI (maybe a Zero) to run each camera, and then have the feeds run into a hub unit (I'm thinking an 8GB RPI 4B) to organize, store, and provide user access to the recorded feeds. My goal is to utilize the recordings to produce a Family Travel Blog/Vlog. I know the storage requirements for 4+ constant video feeds will not be minimal, so I would likely figure out a way to dump the accumulated footage each night to cloud storage or another PC for editing and production purposes.

My problem is I have no idea where to even begin this build. I haven't been able to find anyone who has done anything resembling what I'm trying to do, and I'm getting really overwhelmed trying to find projects that others have posted that I can Frankenstein together into a working system. I think one of my main problems may even be that I just don't know what to search for.

If anyone could provide some advice, or direct me to camera and/or hub projects that they think might help, I would be eternally grateful.

Gavinmc42

Re: Utilizing Multiple RPIs as Cameras and Hub

Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:06 am

MotionEye OS would be a good place to start.
My home system uses a combo of MotionEye and Pikrelllcam OS Pi's.
Use old PiB/B+ at each camera, backup to networked Pi with WD purple drive in external powered caddy.
Been working for 6 years.

Zero's in USB gadget mode?
Zero's can compress the video to h264/MJPEG, saving some bandwidth.
Have not tried that.
USB cables might be ok for the shorter distances.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Rmwither1

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:16 pm

Thank you the recommendations. I will definitely look into MotionEye OS.

Gavinmc42

Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:02 am

MotionEye OS can use webcams.
I got a dozen of old PS3 Eyecams for $2 each :D
Only 640x480 but bigger pixels so a bit better in low light but with more noise.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Rmwither1

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:51 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:02 am
MotionEye OS can use webcams.
I got a dozen of old PS3 Eyecams for $2 each :D
Only 640x480 but bigger pixels so a bit better in low light but with more noise.
Thank you. Low cost is definitely one of my goals and that could definitely help.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”