mjvracing

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:14 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:13 pm
mjvracing wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:00 pm

Thanks Mike,

The noduplicates works great for the play queue, but I've set the SongHistoryDepth to 86 (of 90 songs currently on the jukebox) and I can still select a previously played song manually. Does it only work with random and auto play?

Cheers

Mike
...yep, the SongHistoryDepth does only work for random and auto play. I've not encountered a real jukebox which limits your choice like this. However, if it's really useful for you I could modify the SongHistoryDepth to include songs selected by the user, and release it in v2...it'll probably take the form of a flag "SongHistoryIncludeUserSelections" (yes/no), so that the existing SongHistoryDepth can work with or without user selections.
That would work yes. Our wedding is in early September so if it were to be available by then that would be awesome, but no worries if not.

Cuda360

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:27 am

Thanks Mike figured it out all good now..
Thank you for your help. And tell the wife thanks for letting you do this for all of us to enjoy..
Last edited by Cuda360 on Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orbyog

Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:23 pm

Hello,
I am redoing a wallbox jukebox I made in 2015 using DWJ and another in 2018 using version 1.12. The new switches are having bounce issues so I have tried updating to version 1.16 which I believe has builtin debounce. I am getting a glibc_2.28 error as I have 2.24 and tried updating the glibc6 but says I have the latest version, I have alot of stuff going on like coin and select leds and special text and screens so I don't want to start over. Any thoughts how I can correct this?
Also I can't update v9 of stretch as the new version has bluetooth issues :(
Thanks,
Robert
Edit: found answer one page back to a request about "librx" instead of "glibc". But due still have random switch bounce, is there any adjustments for that?

JamieIII

Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi, I'm new to all things Pi so I'd appreciate a little help with two questions if possible, I tried to search this thread but it's quite large so I may have missed it.

1. In Joystick mode can you make it so that pressing a direction doesn't scroll pages? For example, pressing left when you're on the left side of the page scrolls to the next page but I'd prefer to lock this and have it specifically done with the PageJump button

2. I've configured Fruitbox to launch on startup but when it does there's no audio. If I close it and boot again manually without adjusting any settings it all works fine. Why might this be and is there a fix?
Last edited by JamieIII on Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.

keefypee

Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:20 am

JamieIII wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:38 pm
Hi, I'm new to all things Pi so I'd appreciate a little help with two questions if possible, I tried to search this thread but it's quite large so I may have missed it.

1. In Joystick mode can you make it so that pressing a direction doesn't scroll pages? For example, pressing left when you're on the left side of the page scrolls to the next page but I'd prefer to lock this and have it specifically done with the PageJump button

2. I've configured Fruitbox to launch on startup but when it does there's no audio. If I close it and boot again manually without adjusting any settings it all works fine. Why might this be and is there a fix?
Hi.
I can't help with the first point, but maybe the second.
Assuming that you have added the line sudo ./fruitbox --choose-cfg skins.txt to your ~/.bashrc, just remove the 'sudo' & that should solve your audio issue. I found that solution elsewhere on this forum. Hope that helps.

JamieIII

Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:36 pm

keefypee wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:20 am
Hi.
I can't help with the first point, but maybe the second.
Assuming that you have added the line sudo ./fruitbox --choose-cfg skins.txt to your ~/.bashrc, just remove the 'sudo' & that should solve your audio issue. I found that solution elsewhere on this forum. Hope that helps.
Worked perfectly, nice and simple solution. Thanks so much!

Cuda360

Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:14 pm

Hey Mike,
Just wanted to know if its possible to configure the select buttons to make click sounds.. Like when i hit A,B,C,D or the 1234 buttons..
I have tried to add to the sounds in the config file .. But no go.. I have added page change sounds and sounds for the wurly when its changing the record but as far as the button sounds its a a no go.. But it would be awesome to here that click when making song choices..

mr1983

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:25 pm

Hello, any news about the RPi4 problem?

fruitbox

Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:19 am

Cuda360 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:14 pm
Hey Mike,
Just wanted to know if its possible to configure the select buttons to make click sounds.. Like when i hit A,B,C,D or the 1234 buttons..
I have tried to add to the sounds in the config file .. But no go.. I have added page change sounds and sounds for the wurly when its changing the record but as far as the button sounds its a a no go.. But it would be awesome to here that click when making song choices..
Hi,

That's not possible in the current version. However, in v2 I've changed the way the sounds are managed. Instead of having a [sounds] section in the skin file, I've added a ${PLAY_SOUND} variable and Sound=<file> to the [status] objects. This way, you can conditionally play sounds using all the other status variables, so playing a sound on a button press will be possible.

Once again, I'll apolgise for not having v2 released yet; I moved house recently and it's a "project" house (i.e. needs rather a lot of renovation), so that's the priority atm. I still want to work on fruitbox as it's a nice distraction. And also it's so very close to being finished.

Cheers,
Mike

fruitbox

Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:28 am

mr1983 wrote:
Hi,

The Allegro guys have a work-in-progress version of Allegro on a GitHub branch which I've tried, and it works on the Pi4. Trouble is, it doesn't work so well on the other Pi models, and also there are still some issues with other things (some features of fruitbox don't work properly when using the new Allegro library). This is preventing me from having one version of fruitbox for all models. However, I have built fruitbox using the existing official Allegro library on a Pi4 under the Raspian desktop environment, and it seems to run ok (but possibly not as speedily as it potentially could). So when I release v2, I'll probably release one version (to run under Raspian Lite) for all Pi models except Pi4, and another version for Pi4 to run under Raspian desktop.

And just so you know, in v2 you can check for and download new versions of fruitbox from an on-screen menu, so upgrading will be a lot easier.

Cheers,
Mike

JamieIII

Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:34 pm

Hi Mike

In Joystick mode is it possible to set it so that pressing a direction doesn't scroll pages? For example, pressing left when you're on the left side of the page scrolls to the next page but I'd prefer to lock this and have it specifically done with the PageJump button.

fruitbox

Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:41 pm

JamieIII wrote:
Hi Mike

In Joystick mode is it possible to set it so that pressing a direction doesn't scroll pages? For example, pressing left when you're on the left side of the page scrolls to the next page but I'd prefer to lock this and have it specifically done with the PageJump button.
Hi,

No that's not possible, as I put the joystick mode in to allow fruitbox to work with arcade button setups (I.e. just a four way controller and fire button(s).). However, if you want I could add this type of function to v2 before I release it. It should be a simple and quick change...I'll put an option in the config to prevent left/right scrolling in joystick mode, and then you can use the page jump buttons to change pages (as long as you set the page jump size to 1).

Cheers
Mike

JamieIII

Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:37 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:41 pm
JamieIII wrote:
Hi Mike

Hi,

No that's not possible, as I put the joystick mode in to allow fruitbox to work with arcade button setups (I.e. just a four way controller and fire button(s).). However, if you want I could add this type of function to v2 before I release it. It should be a simple and quick change...I'll put an option in the config to prevent left/right scrolling in joystick mode, and then you can use the page jump buttons to change pages (as long as you set the page jump size to 1).

Cheers
Mike
That would be helpful, thanks. The reason I'd like the feature is because I've set the pages to scroll in vertically, so pressing left/right to change the page makes it look like it's functioning incorrectly (even though it isn't)

I'll be setting this up to use arcade buttons, with four directional buttons, one large "select" button and then two page scroll buttons. I've already got the pagejump set to 1 and it works perfectly - with only the mild inconvenience of accidentally hitting left/right one too many times and unintentionally scrolling to the next page.

mr1983

Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:37 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:28 am
mr1983 wrote:
Hi,

The Allegro guys have a work-in-progress version of Allegro on a GitHub branch which I've tried, and it works on the Pi4. Trouble is, it doesn't work so well on the other Pi models, and also there are still some issues with other things (some features of fruitbox don't work properly when using the new Allegro library). This is preventing me from having one version of fruitbox for all models. However, I have built fruitbox using the existing official Allegro library on a Pi4 under the Raspian desktop environment, and it seems to run ok (but possibly not as speedily as it potentially could). So when I release v2, I'll probably release one version (to run under Raspian Lite) for all Pi models except Pi4, and another version for Pi4 to run under Raspian desktop.

And just so you know, in v2 you can check for and download new versions of fruitbox from an on-screen menu, so upgrading will be a lot easier.

Cheers,
Mike
Thank you for the info, that sounds good. I'm looking forward to V2. I would be very happy if it would run on the RPi 4!

rivington

Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:16 pm

Hi, I am in the process of converting a wallbox to speak to Fruitbox. It's a Seeburg SC1 and the keys are an alphabet and number combo. There are 20 alpha keys (A through V, excluding I and O) and 8 numeric keys. I have set up fruitbox.cfg with the following parameters:
SelectButtons = ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUV
SelectButtons = 12345678

I am testing with the wallbox connected (using a Python script that interprets the output pulses) as well as using the keyboard on my Pi. I've just realized that Fruitbox only supports alpha buttons up to letter K, and some of the remaining letters like L and M are reserved for other functions like loop and mute. So as a slightly ugly workaround I have changed the first row as below so that L through V use numbers instead of letters.

SelectButtons = ABCDEFGHJK0123456789

This way I get 20 buttons without going past letter K. I now need to update my Python program to send the numbers instead of letters. I see from other posts that other people have connected wallboxes so I wanted to see how they have solved this. Is there a more elegant way to deal with this issue?

john3994

Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:27 pm

rivington wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:09 pm
Hi, I love this program and am in the process of setting up buttons with a zero delay encoder. I would like to have a dial for volume control but am confused about options. I am relatively new to working with the pi. It seems the easiest solution would be to use a rotary encoder or potentiometer connected to the encoder but I haven't found one that works this way. I also see there are some HATs with built-in volume controls, would this be a better option?
Hi Rivington, or anyone else please.

I too am trying to set up the fruitbox with a zero delay encoder but i am struggling to 'register' the button press when running '--config-buttons'.

I know the encoder and buttons are working as i can test it when plugged into my PC and can see the numbers lighting up when i press the corresponding button.

However, when running --config-buttons, I can see FruitBox prompting for a keypress to assign the button but it isn't acknowledging i am pressing a button plugged into the zero delay pcb. I can still press 'esc' on my keyboard to move to the next assignment but i just can't assign anything plugged into the pcb.

Any advice very welcome.

john

rivington

Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:34 pm

john3994 wrote:

I too am trying to set up the fruitbox with a zero delay encoder but i am struggling to 'register' the button press when running '--config-buttons'.

I know the encoder and buttons are working as i can test it when plugged into my PC and can see the numbers lighting up when i press the corresponding button.

However, when running --config-buttons, I can see FruitBox prompting for a keypress to assign the button but it isn't acknowledging i am pressing a button plugged into the zero delay pcb. I can still press 'esc' on my keyboard to move to the next assignment but i just can't assign anything plugged into the pcb.

Any advice very welcome.

john
Two things to try:
1) When you say you see the buttons lighting up do you mean the button itself is lit? The illuminated arcade buttons normally have four contacts, two of which are for the button press itself and the other two are for the LEDs. Do you have the buttons wired correctly?
2) Did you try plugging the encoder into different USB ports on the Pi? Fruitbox can be funny about the ports although I haven't seen this sepecific issue.

john3994

Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:20 pm

rivington wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:34 pm
john3994 wrote:

Any advice very welcome.

john
Two things to try:
1) When you say you see the buttons lighting up do you mean the button itself is lit? The illuminated arcade buttons normally have four contacts, two of which are for the button press itself and the other two are for the LEDs. Do you have the buttons wired correctly?
2) Did you try plugging the encoder into different USB ports on the Pi? Fruitbox can be funny about the ports although I haven't seen this sepecific issue.
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

I have the buttons wired up correctly, they are illuminated as soon as the USB cable is plugged into the pi. By lighting up, I actually meant they were triggering within the Windows 10 Device Manager config tester.

However, it is all a moot point as the --config-buttons is now working :)

Maybe it was a different USB pot or maybe it just needed a good ol' reboot. Either way, working now!!

Thanks Rivington

john

rivington

Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:16 pm

I'm having a frustrating issue connecting my wallbox (Seeburg SC1) to Fruitbox. I am using a Python script that registers the output pulses from the wallbox and uses the pypi keyboard.write function to output the letter and number combo. This works perfectly when I start Fruitbox myself from a terminal session, but does not work when I set Fruitbox to start automatically at startup.

I have tried many combinations of using rc.local, .bashrc, crontab, and systemctl to start Fruitbox but nothing seems to work.

Using evtest I can see that the keystrokes created by my Python script are being recorded on a device called "Virtual Keyboard" (/dev/input/event5). Here is the result of pressing C3 on the wallbox:

Testing ... (interrupt to exit)
Event: time 1631117085.331450, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 46 (KEY_C), value 1
Event: time 1631117085.331450, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1631117085.332771, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 46 (KEY_C), value 0
Event: time 1631117085.332771, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1631117085.333029, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 4 (KEY_3), value 1
Event: time 1631117085.333029, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1631117085.333082, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 4 (KEY_3), value 0
Event: time 1631117085.333082, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------

I would appreciate any help as I have been trying to get this working for far too long!

JamieIII

Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:44 pm

Hi, another quick question if I may. I'm struggling to reconfigure the buttons after wiring in some arcade buttons.

If I run the button test everything shows as working correctly and it shows me what GPIO settings to add to the button map for each individual button.

When I try to use --configure-buttons though it says "ERROR - Can't open fruitbox.btn for output". And if I use the --button-map command I don't get the option to edit the button map file, it just shows a list of the command prompts which can be used.

Any help please? Screenshot of what I'm seeing is below

https://i.imgur.com/y36H3cn.png

fruitbox

Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:39 pm

JamieIII wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:44 pm
Hi, another quick question if I may. I'm struggling to reconfigure the buttons after wiring in some arcade buttons.

If I run the button test everything shows as working correctly and it shows me what GPIO settings to add to the button map for each individual button.

When I try to use --configure-buttons though it says "ERROR - Can't open fruitbox.btn for output". And if I use the --button-map command I don't get the option to edit the button map file, it just shows a list of the command prompts which can be used.

Any help please? Screenshot of what I'm seeing is below

https://i.imgur.com/y36H3cn.png
Hi

Either the fruitbox.btn file doesn't exist, or it exists but was created in sudo mode (i.e. if it was originally created when you ran fruitbox with --configure-buttons in sudo mode). If you do a ls -al *.btn you'll see if it exists, and if it has non sudo write permissions. If so, you can change it using sudo chmod 777 fruitbox.btn, or delete it using sudo rm fruitbox.btn.

Also, if you are using the --button-map command line option it has include the filename after it {i.e. fruitbox --button-map fruitbox.btn

Cheers,
Mike

fruitbox

Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:43 pm

rivington wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:16 pm
Hi, I am in the process of converting a wallbox to speak to Fruitbox. It's a Seeburg SC1 and the keys are an alphabet and number combo. There are 20 alpha keys (A through V, excluding I and O) and 8 numeric keys. I have set up fruitbox.cfg with the following parameters:
SelectButtons = ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUV
SelectButtons = 12345678

I am testing with the wallbox connected (using a Python script that interprets the output pulses) as well as using the keyboard on my Pi. I've just realized that Fruitbox only supports alpha buttons up to letter K, and some of the remaining letters like L and M are reserved for other functions like loop and mute. So as a slightly ugly workaround I have changed the first row as below so that L through V use numbers instead of letters.

SelectButtons = ABCDEFGHJK0123456789

This way I get 20 buttons without going past letter K. I now need to update my Python program to send the numbers instead of letters. I see from other posts that other people have connected wallboxes so I wanted to see how they have solved this. Is there a more elegant way to deal with this issue?
Hi,

fruitbox v2 will extend the select buttons to A-Z, 0-9

Mike

freed

Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:45 pm

Are there any ways to enable Chinese or Japanese characters on the Songs, Artists listing?

fruitbox

Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:28 pm

freed wrote:
Are there any ways to enable Chinese or Japanese characters on the Songs, Artists listing?
Hi,

Not sure...if you chose Chinese or Japanese fonts in the skin it should display those characters I guess. But the Song and Artist name strings are extracted from the embedded metadata in the mp3 files themselves, and I'm not sure if this data can contain these characters. Probably worth just trying to edit the metadata (for example using mp3tag in Windows) and then modify a skin to use a Japanse or Chinese font.

Mike

freed

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:29 pm

Ohhh... How do I choose the fonts in the skin? The mp3 metadata can take Chinese characters, that I know. But I am not sure how to set the fonts in the skin, or to modify a skin to use the Chinese/ Japanese font.

Are you able to point me in the right direction? Thanks!
fruitbox wrote:
freed wrote:
Hi,

Not sure...if you chose Chinese or Japanese fonts in the skin it should display those characters I guess. But the Song and Artist name strings are extracted from the embedded metadata in the mp3 files themselves, and I'm not sure if this data can contain these characters. Probably worth just trying to edit the metadata (for example using mp3tag in Windows) and then modify a skin to use a Japanse or Chinese font.

Mike

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”