jetski559

FFMPEG Max Incoming Bitrate

Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:53 pm

I am transcoding a RTSP stream from a IP cam to youtube RTMP through FFMPEG on the Raspberry Pi.

I just fixed a problem with a ton of streaking / smudging / artifacts on the video.

The problem was, the camera output bitrate was something super high, like 8,000 Kbps.
I think my ffmpeg on the raspberry pi was dropping a ton of packets or something, so then when it showed up on the RTMP stream, it looked terrible.

I set the camera bitrate to 1,536Kbps, and now everything looks great, no streaking, smudging, smearing, etc.

So... any thoughts on what you think the Pi can handle? It seems to be struggling with the 8,000 Kbps, but doing fine with 1,536Kbps.

Does this surprise you? I know the pi is an awesome little machine, but obviously it will have it's limitations. Any thoughts on what you think it should/could handle?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: FFMPEG Max Incoming Bitrate

Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:30 pm

What codec are you decoding and re-encoding to?
Are you using software or hardware for the decode and encode?
Are you rescaling?

Sorry, you've given very little information to go on, so it's very hard to give any advice.
Please provide the FFmpeg command line you're using, and any output it produces.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

RedMarsBlueMoon

Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:52 pm

If you have a way of sending the stream yourself you could test with these files I find them super useful,

https://jell.yfish.us/

jetski559

Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:37 pm

6by9 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:30 pm
What codec are you decoding and re-encoding to?
Are you using software or hardware for the decode and encode?
Are you rescaling?

Sorry, you've given very little information to go on, so it's very hard to give any advice.
Please provide the FFmpeg command line you're using, and any output it produces.
Sorry, hopefully this helps.

Standard H.264. No scaling.

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -fflags +genpts -i "rtsp://user:password@192.168.1.101:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0" -vcodec copy -codec:a aac -f flv "rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/xyz" 

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”