Netman

Psion Netbook to Rasperry Pi

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:17 am

Any students out there looking for a good hardware and software project – this would fit the bill.

I have gutted a Psion Netbook and propose to use this to house a Raspberry Pi

The Pi is too big to go in without adaptation so will remove some larger components; namely USB connector, Ethernet connector, RCA video, and audio.

Need a pcb of the same size as the Psion PCB [with a hole in it for the RPi and connection links in the right places] and propose using the Psion CF tray with an SD to CF adaptor for the O/S. There is a blanking piece on the side of the Psion that is removable and it was rumoured that this was for an ethernet socket, but Psion didn't implement it. A network cable on its side would fit that hole.

Power in through the Psion power socket, ethernet through side of Psion, RCA socket fitted adjacent to power socket, HDMI extended through to HDMI socket under the RS232 cover on the side.

GPIO pins extended to Psion PCMCIA slot and brought out with an extension card along with audio and USB. Could probably hack the card to bring a cable out to an interface box.

Keyboard matrix is 8 x 13 so was thinking about Sprintek FlexMatrix chips

SK5100/SK5101 FlexMatrix Keyboard Controller
User-Programmable Keyboard Encoder with Configurable USB and PS/2 Interface

http://sprintek.com/products/Keyboard.aspx

Looks like this chip is programmable to match a keyboard and put out USB to connect direct to the Pi

I do not know how the Netbook screen is wired – looks like 2 lines [prob for backlight] and 2 sets of lines for display matrix. Course if a new screen of exactly the same size as the one in the Netbook was available that would make interfacing the screen easy.

There is a backup battery in the base – only 1.5v so don't know if that's usable. That brings us on to the main battery which is a 10.8v lithium so do we use that and regulate or hack the battery pack to use 5v cells?

If all this came to pass there'd be a lot of demand for dead Psions!

Any students out there looking for a good hardware and software project – this would fit the bill.

aldorg

Re: Psion Netbook to Rasperry Pi

Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:21 pm

This would be a great project! I still have my 7 around and would love to give it a new life :)

I'm interestd, but have limited electronics knowledge, but I can help in testing and finding parts needed.

Regards,

Aldo

lagnus

Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:59 pm

I am going to attempt updating my Psion mx5. Let you know if I get anywhere... could use that DSI documentation.. closed specs.. looks like three serial lvds lanes...

lagnus

Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:07 pm

Oh look, service manual..http://tobidog.com/S5serv.pdf

entozoon

Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:42 am

How's this project going? I have a psion netbook knocking around and considered doing the same..

Return to “Other projects”