forumisto

Make powered usb hub

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:22 am

Hello,

Hello
Here is my bit to the RPI. It's about making a cheap USB-HUB with external power. I leave a picture with the scheme, and then you can make a more or less professional.

I'm sure we can all improve. Put your ideas or photos.

rpdom

Re: Make powered usb hub

Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:51 pm

I've done something along these lines (sorry, no diagram or picture yet).

I have a 5v 2000mA PSU that used to run a wireless access point.

On a piece of stripboard I have mounted 5 usb sockets (two double sockets and one single. The 5v lines of all of these sockets are connected to the PSU's 5v line. All grounds are connected.

Two of the USB sockets have their data and 0v lines connected to USB cables (from dead USB mice), which are plugged into the Pi's USB sockets. There is also an LED to indicate power is on.

The Pi's USB power lead is plugged into one of the other sockets.

So, I have 2 "active" USB sockets, and 3 "power only" sockets. I can happily plug in any two USB peripherals I like, including a USB powered 2.5" disk drive and a USB powered DVD writer which has a "Y" cable and takes one "active" and one "power" USB socket.

Like your design, no power is taken from the Pi's USB 5v lines and I can connect a powered USB hub without worrying about it feeding power back into my Pi.

uglymonkey

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:25 pm

Ive been planning a similar setup for when my pi arrives to keep the cabling to the case to a minimum . Im struggling to find a power supply that meets my needs. Obviously i need 5v but im looking for something with around 4-5amps to cover any additional power i might eventualy need for gpio projects. Any suggestions?

forumisto

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:42 pm

What do you want two active connectors that are powered from the RPI?

rpdom

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:22 pm

No, none of the five connectors are powered by the Pi.

The two "active" connectors are powered by the PSU directly, but have their data+/- lines and 0v plugged into the Pi's USB sockets, so I can plug USB devices into them and they will work without taking any power from the Pi, like your diagram.

The other sockets provide just power from the PSU and no data.

suryakant54321

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi, My question is why you have looped -ve back to PC ? What will happen if it's not?

Return to “Other projects”