Ripplescales

Re: Raspberry Pi Cinema Camera

Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:40 pm

Before I saw the STL files, I got cracking on my own version since I had a spare Sony A6400 cage lying around. I made a few modifications. After some 6 or 7 prototypes, this is the first version that's any good, lol. It doesn't hold a candle to Csaba Navy's beautiful and more compact version but this is my first design for a device. The Raspberry Pi is already enclosed in an aluminium case so I bored a few holes and designed around it. The case acts as a massive heatsink. I did manage to keep the temps below 50°C. Haven't been able to display on my Atomos Ninja for some reason and I don't have a usable SSD. It works fine displaying on my monitor and I am shocked at how beautiful it looks, even without processing. Great job on the software side!

EDIT: There is an Arca Swiss bracket behind. I 3D printed mounting plates and simply stuck them to whatever accessory I want to mount behind. In this case it is a Sony Power Bank capable of powering the whole system. I'd like to thank everyone for the inspiration to build this. Can't wait to go out and shoot stuff!
20210904013707__MG_9862-01.jpeg
20210904013707__MG_9862-01.jpeg (229.26 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
20210904013732__MG_9864-01.jpeg
20210904013732__MG_9864-01.jpeg (207.88 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
20210904013810__MG_9868-01.jpeg
20210904013810__MG_9868-01.jpeg (198.07 KiB) Viewed 1952 times

schoolpost

Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:43 am

Ripplescales wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:40 pm
20210904013707__MG_9862-01.jpeg

20210904013732__MG_9864-01.jpeg

20210904013810__MG_9868-01.jpeg
Great job on your design! looks very functional with all the accessories and attachments very well thought out! :)

Hope you will share your footage soon.
-Csaba Nagy

Ripplescales

Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:54 am

Thank you so much schoolpost, you're very kind. It means much coming from you!

I could not get it to work on one of my SSDs with a reader. I have to get a Samsung t5 or equivalent, soon. Can't wait to shoot.

Three questions:
1. While I am quite handy with mechanical things, i am a dilettante with software. I cannot get a feed on my Ninja V and i did see something about changing the output resolution. I don't know which line this corresponds to in the config file, could you help me out?
2. While using My Camera Controller, i cannot find my Raspberry Pi as names are seldom displayed. Just a lot of Unknown Devices.
3. How do I access the terminal/command line of the camera with a mouse/keyboard plugged in? I think that I can setup the WIFI from there.

tiramisioux

Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:51 pm

Ripplescales wrote:
3. How do I access the terminal/command line of the camera with a mouse/keyboard plugged in? I think that I can setup the WIFI from there.
If you are on a Mac, you can connect the CinePi via an ethernet cable. Make sure "Internet sharing" is on (System Preferences > Sharing). Open terminal and type

Code: Select all

ssh pi@192.168.2.2
Sometimes I find my CinePi at 192.168.2.3. Password is cinemapi.

I find this the most convenient way to get access to the CinePi. Also noticed that CPU temperature was raised considerably with wifi being turned on, so I guess it is better to leave it off.

schoolpost

Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:53 pm

Ripplescales wrote:
Three questions:
1. While I am quite handy with mechanical things, i am a dilettante with software. I cannot get a feed on my Ninja V and i did see something about changing the output resolution. I don't know which line this corresponds to in the config file, could you help me out?
You can read more here about changing HDMI modes here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... g_txt.html

The mode is currently set to 84 which is the 2048x1152 resolution which may be a resolution unsupported by the monitor. Either change the mode to some other resolution or comment out that line. This is done by editing the config.txt file on the micro-sd card.
-Csaba Nagy

Ripplescales

Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:04 pm

Yup! Thanks again schoolpost. I used Mode 72 and it worked like a charm. I just need the SSD and I'm good to go!

BTW, How do you configure the Bluetooth and/or select it on an external Camera control app? All I see are arbitrary letters and numbers. Besides the SSD, this is the part I am missing at the moment.

schoolpost

Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:11 pm

Ripplescales wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:04 pm
Yup! Thanks again schoolpost. I used Mode 72 and it worked like a charm. I just need the SSD and I'm good to go!

BTW, How do you configure the Bluetooth and/or select it on an external Camera control app? All I see are arbitrary letters and numbers. Besides the SSD, this is the part I am missing at the moment.
Widely reported that Bluetooth functionality isn't working with this build with various different camera control apps. I'm still in the process of looking into this. I may already have fixed this on the version I've been using that is slightly different from the alpha release. I just need to image/compress my Raspbian for release which is a slightly tedious process.

Unfortunately with the current state of the project, any changes to the code base ( no matter how small ) requires the release of an entire disk image. Ideally the project and it's components would be a standalone repository that would be installed onto Raspbian, but given the modifications that need to be made to the kernel and some other low level configuration it makes it this kind of difficult ( not impossible, simply a task I've never done yet. )
-Csaba Nagy

schoolpost

Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:44 pm

Finally got around to it. Here is a new release for CinePi-2K: https://github.com/schoolpost/CinePI/re ... .0.1-alpha

The changes are listed on the GitHub releases page. But mainly, this release should resolve the Bluetooth control compatibility issue people were having.

Reminder for anyone who modified their version of CinePi-2K, to save/move/copy any new changes somewhere else as a backup before they flash this version of the release onto the same micro-sd card. Or use a different micro-sd card for this release.
-Csaba Nagy

Knowledge7

Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:24 pm

I have downloaded the Release 1.0.1 version, but after flashing my sd card with the new version, it still shows as Cinepi V1.0.0 after booting up. Bluetooth connection is still not working. Or maybe I might have done something wrong?

bjoepen

Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:24 pm

I also took the chance to build a CinePI System.

I´ve printed the modell from Github and I´m very satisfied with the system so far :) .

The Bluetooth+ App for Blackmagic for iOS works so far flawlessly!

I´ve used a RPi4 with 4GB of ram, but my takes never go over 40sec., so I can´t say anything about how far I will be able to go. But I will test this in the next few week.

I´ve tool a video from printing some parts for the case, nothing special, just testing the system. The lens was an old Fujinon Zoom lens (12.5-75mm). Because we have a really bad day today I´ve had to take the shot with ISO 800. Sorry for all the grain.

https://youtu.be/anMsVcpp_a0

schoolpost

Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:23 am

bjoepen wrote:

I´ve printed the modell from Github and I´m very satisfied with the system so far :) .

I´ve used a RPi4 with 4GB of ram, but my takes never go over 40sec., so I can´t say anything about how far I will be able to go. But I will test this in the next few week.

I´ve tool a video from printing some parts for the case, nothing special, just testing the system. The lens was an old Fujinon Zoom lens (12.5-75mm). Because we have a really bad day today I´ve had to take the shot with ISO 800. Sorry for all the grain.

Great stuff! Please share when you complete the building process and if you need any help with assembeling the case ( I haven't had time to finish the documentation for the physical case assembly ) just ask here.
-Csaba Nagy

bjoepen

Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:35 am

schoolpost wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:23 am
bjoepen wrote:

Great stuff! Please share when you complete the building process and if you need any help with assembeling the case ( I haven't had time to finish the documentation for the physical case assembly ) just ask here.
Thanks a lot!

Today I´ve got the chance to take some material outside in the garden. I´ll post this later on.

I´ve one question at the moment. When doing some filming, the whole folder were the material was saved show the date of 01.10.2021 at different time. Is there a chance to get the correct date of the material?

Also you mentioned the experimental audio recording. Have you done some test with this? At the moment this isn´t really important at all for me, but it could be in the future.

In the long term I have to buy a field monitor because thee 5" HDMI display won´t give me informations about focus peaking etc. I´ve used it only for my testing setup at the moment.

But at the moment I´m really satisfied with this setup!

I´m looing foward for the further progress CinePI will do!

Update

Here is the second footage.

https://youtu.be/P9zYFL3L2RM

2blackbar

Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:48 am

Guys...
Lets make this thing work the right way...
What it would take to make 4k dng at 30fps work on raspberry ?
By that i mean - what hardware part needs to be changed so new raspberry model would have it ?
Then make indiegogo campaign for special raspi models to have it.
Its that simple, whos gonna do it ?
At least tell raspberry hardware devs about it, there is a market for that even tho videos viewcount doesnt reflect it, cause it needs good content recorded on this with decent lens, not just flowers in backyard on foggy cctv lens.
The dev will bandon this because of lack of interest and this could lead nowhere while being so damn close to a goldmine.

bjoepen

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:55 pm

Ok...I´ve finished my setup right now.

Attached you can find some pictures. All 3D printed parts are SLA parts. I´ve made the lens turret cover from alumium.

I used a some standoffs for the Camera Board and also for the RPi.
IMG_1141-DeNoiseAI-raw.jpg
IMG_1141-DeNoiseAI-raw.jpg (199.85 KiB) Viewed 662 times
IMG_1140-DeNoiseAI-raw.jpg
IMG_1140-DeNoiseAI-raw.jpg (146.36 KiB) Viewed 662 times
IMG_1139-DeNoiseAI-raw.jpg
IMG_1139-DeNoiseAI-raw.jpg (151.58 KiB) Viewed 662 times
In the meantime I´m looking further on for some intesting C-Mount or D-Mount lenses.
Last edited by bjoepen on Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjoepen

Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:21 pm

2blackbar wrote:
Guys...
By that i mean - what hardware part needs to be changed so new raspberry model would have it ?
At least tell raspberry hardware devs about it, there is a market for that even tho videos viewcount doesnt reflect it, cause it needs good content recorded on this with decent lens, not just flowers in backyard on foggy cctv lens.
The dev will bandon this because of lack of interest and this could lead nowhere while being so damn close to a goldmine.
For sure there is a market for such a cinema camera! You are absolutely right!

There are only two more open source cinema camera projects so far. And both are away from doing this for cheap! Just take a look at the Apertus Axiom Beta! The dev kit is around 4000€ and I´m sure a price in this range is not competitive to Blackmagic or other companies at all.

Using a Raspberry Pi is a really smart way for building such a camera. I´m not an engineer for electronics etc. (I´m doing more everything around CNC and 3D printing). But if anyone would go forward and will be able to do the electronics, this would be really amazing!

For me the project is already really amazing right now! And I´m waiting for such a project for years! Thanks a lot to Csaba Nagy for all the work up to now!

schoolpost

Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:11 pm

bjoepen wrote:
]Ok...I´ve finished my setup right now.

Attached you can find some pictures. All 3D printed parts are SLA parts. I´ve made the lens turret cover from alumium.

IMG_1141-DeNoiseAI-raw.jpgIMG_1140-DeNoiseAI-raw.jpgIMG_1139-DeNoiseAI-raw.jpg

In the meantime I´m looking further on for some interesting C-Mount or D-Mount lenses.
You did a great job! I guess you were able to figure out which standoffs/hardware bits you needed to put it all together.
I really like your metal lens turret bracket, I wish I had access/capabilities to make CNC machined parts!
Last edited by schoolpost on Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Csaba Nagy

schoolpost

Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:22 pm

bjoepen wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:21 pm
2blackbar wrote:
Guys...
For sure there is a market for such a cinema camera! You are absolutely right!

There are only two more open source cinema camera projects so far. And both are away from doing this for cheap! Just take a look at the Apertus Axiom Beta! The dev kit is around 4000€ and I´m sure a price in this range is not competitive to Blackmagic or other companies at all.

Using a Raspberry Pi is a really smart way for building such a camera. I´m not an engineer for electronics etc. (I´m doing more everything around CNC and 3D printing). But if anyone would go forward and will be able to do the electronics, this would be really amazing!

For me the project is already really amazing right now! And I´m waiting for such a project for years! Thanks a lot to Csaba Nagy for all the work up to now!

I too wish Raspberry Pi Foundation realizes the possibilities they have created with the HQ Camera Module. I think more than anything, the implementation of the C-Mount was the most pivotal decision in enabling applications like CinePI.

Higher Resolution and 4K would be nice, however I would hope that future camera models continue to implement interchangeable lens mounts, maybe even work with a more established electronic lens mount like M43 and more important I think would be to choose a larger sensor size! 1" sensor or 4/3" sensor would be amazing!

2.5K, 2.8K might be something the Raspberry Pi's ISP could support even with the current generation( at certain frame rates ) and with a larger sensor size, larger photosites, better dynamic range, that is arguably more important to making a nicer image than simply more pixels.

The previous camera modules ( V2 and V1 ) are great for simple security camera applications, or for teaching OpenCV programming, etc... Not for this kind of application.
-Csaba Nagy

bjoepen

Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:01 am

schoolpost wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:11 pm
bjoepen wrote:
]Ok...I´ve finished my setup right now.

IMG_1141-DeNoiseAI-raw.jpgIMG_1140-DeNoiseAI-raw.jpgIMG_1139-DeNoiseAI-raw.jpg

In the meantime I´m looking further on for some interesting C-Mount or D-Mount lenses.
You did a great job! I guess you were able to figure out which standoffs/hardware bits you needed to put it all together.
I really like your metal lens turret bracket, I wish I had access/capabilities to make CNC machined parts!
For the camera board I used some 6mm female female standoffs. They fit pefectly and the lens attachement was really stiff!

I also used some 6mm female male standoffs for the RPi (female to the front to screw them tight). I guess 8mm standoffs will be much better because I have to use some rubber rings under the Pi. For the rear attachement I used some 30mm standoffs which I printed myself. When using 8mm for the RPi these standoffs have to be a little bit shorter.

With the standoffs the whole case was really tight and stiff.

monstercameron

Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:40 am

what does the recording UI look like?

bjoepen

Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:01 pm

monstercameron wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:40 am
what does the recording UI look like?
Here you find a picture from the display and the UI of CinePi.
IMG_0436.JPEG
IMG_0436.JPEG (224.38 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Everything else is depending on the field monitor you are using!

RichShumaker

Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:55 pm

Thanks for this Amazing Project.

I currently do not have the proper Pi but would like to capture in the 2k 12 bit RAW DNG the way you do.

Can you point me to your command and method to capture so I can attempt on the Pi4's I have?

I think the Pi Compute Module has a great potential since it has a 4 LANE CSI bus and Arducam makes a 4 LANE IMX477 camera module. Also from my thread you can capture 11 almost 12 frames of full "4k" RAW sensor data using the 2 Lane CSI bus.(4k in quotes as the aspect ratio is not 16:9 but may work great for anamorphic)
My thread who's goal was 24 fps at full sensor data at 12 bit RAW for filmmaking - Challenge COMPLETE 11.38 FPS • 12mp HQ Max FPS Capture - viewtopic.php?t=284937

Last but not least I have a few B4 lenses that work well once adapted to the Pi HQ camera and since it is B4 they sell power modules to run the motors independent of the camera. My lenses are full manual and one is missing mounting hardware. The ridiculously low price justified the lack of mounting hardware.
Rich Shumaker
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pi-Zero-W-NoIR-8MP-Camera-Build-Overview-Introduct/

schoolpost

Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:15 pm

I'll have a more comprehensive update soon, but in the meantime...I wanted to share some stuff I''ve experimenting with in the background.

Using an off the shelf 3rd party MFT mount ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 2AQAvD_BwE) and integrating it with the HQ Camera Sensor. Right now only working on the mechanical aspect, but also hoping to break ground on interfacing with Electronic Lenses through the electrical connection on the mount; following some work that was done in the past trying to reverse engineer this also: http://marcuswolschon.blogspot.com/2013 ... hirds.html

-Csaba Nagy

bjoepen

Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:28 pm

That sound really great!

I´m curious how the system will perform with M4/3 lenses. I´ve seen some reverse engineering before in some Redit posts.

For sure it also would be possible to work with any other mount (e.g. Canon EF) without communication to the lens.

Btw...is there a kind of roadmap when we can expect the possibility to record audio?

At the moment I have less time to spare for filming. I´ve done some clips and have to edit them.

eat-sleep-code

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:58 am

schoolpost wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:15 pm
I'll have a more comprehensive update soon, but in the meantime...I wanted to share some stuff I''ve experimenting with in the background.

Using an off the shelf 3rd party MFT mount ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 2AQAvD_BwE) and integrating it with the HQ Camera Sensor. Right now only working on the mechanical aspect, but also hoping to break ground on interfacing with Electronic Lenses through the electrical connection on the mount; following some work that was done in the past trying to reverse engineer this also: http://marcuswolschon.blogspot.com/2013 ... hirds.html
---

Wow, cool! What is the magnification with the MFT, still 5+ X?

Have you seen the Arducam Autofocus module on Kickstarter? Apparently uses a newer Sony sensor which has much cleaner image output than the HQ camera. Only problem is the lens is integrated... so not sure if it could be reverse engineered to use something like the MFT mount?

Return to “Camera board”