hydr.ali

Pi camera not detected

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:19 am

Hi,

I have Picamera v1 which I have been using Rpi3 for a while now and it has been working properly. Yesterday I updated RASPBIAN and now the camera doesn't work. Using

Code: Select all

vcgencmd get_camera
, I get

supported = 1, detected = 0
I have checked and replaced the cable. Same problem. I do not have an extra Rpi or camera module to figure out whether the problem is with RPi or camera module. I pulled out the camera module during updating. Could it be that I have burnt something out, either on RPi or the camera module or their connector?

Thanks.

DougieLawson

Re: Pi camera not detected

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:46 am

Power everything off. Take static precautions then press gently on the SUNNY connector on the camera board until you hear a faint click as the connector is reseated. Power up and re-test. While you've got power off check the ribbon cable is a) the right way round b) in the right socket - next to the HDMI / ethernet and c) fully home in the connectors on the RPi and the camera.

Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on https://twitter.com/DougieLawson or LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

hydr.ali

Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:05 am

I have taken all the steps you suggested. Still same

supported=1 detected=0
I have also installed a fresh copy of Raspbian. Still same problem.

DougieLawson

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:44 am

Try setting

gpu_mem=128
in /boot/config.txt

DMs sent on https://twitter.com/DougieLawson or LinkedIn will be answered next month.

hydr.ali

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:46 am

It is already set to 128

DougieLawson

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:57 am

Then it's most likely that you have a hardware fault on the camera board or a broken ribbon cable.

hydr.ali

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:57 am

I've replaced the cable twice so it's not that. It is a hardware fault either on camera board or Rpi board (more likely).

Thanks for your help.

RaTTuS

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:20 am

hydr.ali wrote:..... I pulled out the camera module during updating. Could it be that I have burnt something out, either on RPi or the camera module or their connector?

Thanks.
that may have blown either the CSI port or the camera [if it was switched on ].

I would personally try it in another RPi with a fresh install of raspbian
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

hydr.ali

Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:59 am

My camera was in a housing and the lens got detached from camera board somehow which is why it was not being detected. :| Someone might find this helpful.

intergalactictrash

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Mine doesn't work either. I've done all the troubleshooting I can find, and tried hooking the camera up to another Pi with no luck. However, there is a really defined crease in the ribbon cable (came that way). Could that be a problem?

biranchi125

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:52 pm

Is any one able to resolve the issue ?
Please help me.

mamartinez724

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:16 pm

I had the same problem with my Raspberry zero. The RPi zero case is very tight and difficult to install the camera.
The problem is with the camera itself, not the cable that goes to the RPi.
What happens is that the camera sensor has a connector to the PCB that can become lose, so when I was trying to attach it to the case this cable was unhooking from the PCB. Every time I tried to push the camera to attach it to the case this cable was disconnected. :evil:
I solved my problem by adding a piece of folded paper between the case and the connector acting as a spacer just to keep extra pressure while I was inserting the camera fixture in the slot. It was tricky but it worked.
Hopefully this will be helpful to others ;)

nischaya

Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:40 pm

Hey Enable the I2C Interface in the preferences ---> raspberry pi configuration

pi-bozo

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:37 am

Thanks @nischaya,

that did the trick for me - had enabled "camera" in raspi-config -> "interfacing options", but not I2C.

-b

dmeylman

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:07 pm

mamartinez724 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:16 pm
I had the same problem with my Raspberry zero. The RPi zero case is very tight and difficult to install the camera.
The problem is with the camera itself, not the cable that goes to the RPi.
What happens is that the camera sensor has a connector to the PCB that can become lose, so when I was trying to attach it to the case this cable was unhooking from the PCB. Every time I tried to push the camera to attach it to the case this cable was disconnected. :evil:
I solved my problem by adding a piece of folded paper between the case and the connector acting as a spacer just to keep extra pressure while I was inserting the camera fixture in the slot. It was tricky but it worked.
Hopefully this will be helpful to others ;)
This works for me also...(re-seat the camera lens connector).

brispo

Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:56 pm

I thought I would chime in to say that my issue with the camera not connecting was the same as user hydr.ali:
My camera was in a housing and the lens got detached from camera board somehow which is why it was not being detected. :| Someone might find this helpful.
On my model picam, the actual lens itself can be popped off of the camera circuit board, and at some point in the shuffle when plugging/unplugging my pi the lens must've disconnected itself from the camera board inside the little camera housing I have. Once I popped the little tab on the lens back onto its slot on the front of the camera board, it powered up normally.

dschaben

Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:47 pm

I was about to throw away camera assuming static charge burn but then enabled I2c and then enable camera and it worked!!!! so thanks for that!!! :D

Pitcaple

Wed May 13, 2020 1:17 pm

I had same problem, camera not working, not detected.
In desperation I checked continuity of the ribbon cable between camera and main board. All lines were open! Turned out to be a hairline crack in the ribbon cable near the connector.
Simple fix:- cut off the bad end while keeping the blue plastic bit, sandpapered the insulation until the metal showed, glued the blue plastic back on and plugged in. Problem solved, camera working great. :D

PrettyCoolPattern

Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:14 pm

Hello everyone, I fixed this issue on my RPi Zero with Raspbian Lite installed by:

Enabling Camera in raspi-config (didn't fix at first)
Enabling I2P in raspi-config (didn't fix at first)

Didn't reboot/test after these two but in combo with the top two and these it worked:

Enabling VNC in raspi-config (didn't fix at first (thought it might install some visual libraries)
Enabling GL 3 in raspi-config (bingo (might not need VNC)

Happy hacking, thank you everyone for the help from posts above!

pjcrux

Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:45 pm

Hello All,
I have a RPi4B-1GB that I'm trying to get the camera to work. I've tried all of the steps above (enabling I2C, enabling camera, enabling GL, enabling VNC, changing memory to 128, etc).

I'm beginning to think that my pi's camera port is dead. Is there anyway to test this?

Return to “Camera board”