FAGould

When will someone release a Raspberry Pi 4B UPS HAT with Battery Backup?

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:56 am

I have found only one vendor, PiShop.us, with a reasonably priced UPS HAT with battery backup that works on a Raspberry Pi 4B. Now they're out of stock and no idea when they will restock. I can't find any other vendor with a high enough power supply. Anyone on this forum know anything more? I need to order two of these UPS boards and another RPi4B to setup another RPi desktop PC.

FAGould

Re: When will someone release a Raspberry Pi 4B UPS HAT with Battery Backup?

Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:20 am

It appears Geekworm has released their RPi4B supported UPS HAT, reference the link below.

https://geekworm.com/products/raspberry-pi-ups-hat-2

FAGould

Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:54 pm

I have tried or researched all recommended and/or available UPS HAT products today but none work for RPi4B that will support sufficient USB power for optional devices. Any suggestions welcome. Would be nice if Raspberry Pi Foundation would release a UPS HAT product, like the PoE HAT. Maybe work with Geekworm to offer products? This board below just needs to be upgraded for RPi4B.
https://geekworm.com/collections/raspbe ... 1dda&_ss=r

mwrich4

Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:10 pm

Wouldn't using a battery brick between the RaspPi and the power supply be more cost-effective? The Pi draws so little it shouldn't overload the power supply. If covering a long outage isn't needed, a lower capacity would save some money.

Overall, I think a battery brick that offers good charging disciplines internally would be easier to source.

FAGould

Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:33 pm

@mwrich4 Thanks for the suggestion. What I'm trying to configure is a mobile desktop device that can be detached from wall to roll the computer to another location, all battery powered. The problem I need to solve is the communication from the UPS HAT with battery capacity so my app can notify the user (me) that the battery is about to expire and to shutdown the computer "gracefully." A battery pack I tried, could not communicate with the OS and the one I tested, rebooted the battery pack and RPi when the wall power was removed.

poyfromlille

Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:39 pm

Geekworm X750 board works well with pi 4 and supports 4 x 18650 but it's expensive.
You can monitor voltage and do some stuff when voltage is low.
I used one for a project however I'd like another solution for another laptop raspberry project. No luck for now with a powerbank with some addings (yx850 circuit)

FAGould

Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:07 pm

Thanks for the last watchdog suggestion. Unfortunately, the real estate and price are unbearable, especially without a battery included. Flat batteries should also be an option without retrofitting it fit a standard RPi stack-of-boards. Features look great.

GeneralPurpose

Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:07 pm

Would be nice a UPS HAT (with battery) to fully power and manage the power state in one Raspberry Pi 4 and all I/O, that is also POE powered by one dedicated Ethernet port, that passes power to the main board (no usb or barrel power for the HAT).
On top of that having a fan included for cooling the RPi chips would be a nice add-on.
Recap: UPS + POE + FAN
Again: UPS + POE + FAN

Keep the testing ideas guys!

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”