johngammel

Solderless breadboard screw terminals needed

Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:48 pm

I need some screw terminals for standard 2.54mm solderless breadboads as I don't want to use a GPIO type cable to connect the wiring to the breadboard. Every time I think I've found a source or product the pins are too short, too big or they skip every other pin. Most of them are for mounting on a PCB. I'm in the US but far from any major distributors so reasonable shipping is a requirement.

Source? Thanks in advance for your help.

gordon77

Re: Solderless breadboard screw terminals needed

Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:07 pm

You may need to use a piece of strip board like here...

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q ... nal-blocks

scruss

Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:43 pm

I know of a couple of 2.54 mm pitch terminals, but they're meant to be soldered onto a board. Their 3.5 mm long pins may not engage well with a breadboard. Worse still, the whole block might pull out.

The ones I know of are:

* Wurth series 2109: the largest wire these can take are 18 AWG. Also, the screws are really tiny

* CUI TBL009-254: these are screwless, which might make more sense at such a fine pitch.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

johngammel

Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:23 pm

The strip board is an interesting idea but just adds more points of failure. The others are PCBs which are of course likely to loosen over time - especially in the vertical orientation I'm.

Thanks - maybe I want something that just isn't available. Maybe I can use a small screw terminal soldered to a male wire.

gordon77

Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:33 pm

You could just solder some wires to extend the pins

scruss

Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:21 am

If you're worried about longevity and points of failure, a solderless breadboard brings all the points of failure. If it's an option for you, prototype on a breadboard, build on soldered veroboard or protoboard.

Yes, I've seen a final circuit hot-glued to a breadboard. I never want to see that again.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

pcmanbob

Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:49 am

johngammel wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:48 pm
I need some screw terminals for standard 2.54mm solderless breadboads as I don't want to use a GPIO type cable to connect the wiring to the breadboard. Every time I think I've found a source or product the pins are too short, too big or they skip every other pin. Most of them are for mounting on a PCB. I'm in the US but far from any major distributors so reasonable shipping is a requirement.

Source? Thanks in advance for your help.
These are usable on a breadboard according to the advert
https://www.amazon.com/DAOKI-Terminal-C ... 229&sr=8-3

they are always going to skip every other pin due to the size of the screw terminal, the only way to stop this is to mount them on a separate PCB and have that plug in to the breadboard.

like these
http://msx-elektronika.pl/en/screw-term ... ug-in-ark4
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... e&_sacat=0
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

LTolledo

Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:13 am

my fave electronics parts supplier has this:
2.54 pitch screw terminal.jpg
2.54 pitch screw terminal.jpg (57.44 KiB) Viewed 333 times

but pins are short to be used reliably on a breadboard setting.... but ideal for perfboards....
have some on stock and tried it on my breadboardpi setup....

better get the one shown by pcmanbob...as those have better grip on the breadboard....
(though you might want to do some maintenance on your breadboard after removing the screw terminals to reuse the breadboard....
as it widens the contact gap)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”