iwestbury

System/clock time

Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:55 pm

Apologies if this has been asked before. I've looked and can't find anything. So I managed to install Arch for Arm and XFCE4 and was feeling pleased with myself until a day later I noticed that the system clock is not updating. I've been through the Arch wiki as well as I can but I'm still none the wiser. I have a Manjaro install as well with the same issue.

When I go thru the wiki it starts with the fact that it system time is looking (firstly?) at the RTC, which I believe the Rpi doesn't have.

Please can someone point me in the right direction?

epoch1970

Re: System/clock time

Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:04 pm

Raspios comes with a “fake-hwclock” package that save the current date to file regularly, and reads the file to set system time at boot.
After that, network time sets the correct date (and that gets saved to file). By default systemd activates a network time client on Raspios. If you want a server (eg to give time to other hosts on your LAN), install an NTP server package.
I assume Arch offers packages with similar names and function.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

kerry_s

Re: System/clock time

Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:10 pm

iwestbury wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:55 pm
Apologies if this has been asked before. I've looked and can't find anything. So I managed to install Arch for Arm and XFCE4 and was feeling pleased with myself until a day later I noticed that the system clock is not updating. I've been through the Arch wiki as well as I can but I'm still none the wiser. I have a Manjaro install as well with the same issue.

When I go thru the wiki it starts with the fact that it system time is looking (firstly?) at the RTC, which I believe the Rpi doesn't have.

Please can someone point me in the right direction?
for arch manjaro is the best option for raspberry.
https://github.com/manjaro-arm/rpi4-images/releases

Return to “Arch”