Hi all. I hope everyone and your family/friends are keeping well while being sequestered! I also hope this is not considered hijacking an old thread - I spent a good deal of time looking for the most appropriate forum/thread. Please feel free to redirect!
Problem statement: Cannot launch kodi from a terminal, either by ssh or from the directly connected keyboard/monitor, without using startx in front of it. Having followed many instructions to what I believe is the exact written steps, I think I've got to be missing something fundamental/basic.
Here are factors that have remained constant throughout all attempts: RPI4B+ 4GB, using Raspbian Buster Lite, and compiling Kodi from source each time (18.5, 18.6, and 19.x).
What I hope is enough relevant info:
- keeping packages installed only to the minimum required to install RetroPie and Kodi
- executing kodi-standalone from the terminal immediately after boot
- setting up kodi as a port in RetroPie such that it's launched with EmulationStation (let's say for the sake of argument I don't think my config -here- is wrong)
- have added the udev drm rule, have added render to the group membership for the pi user account
- have NOT used the kodi startup scripts/systemd stuff
- SDL, MESA, DRM, FFMPEG all up to date
- have compiled with both the GL and GLES options (but isn't this explicitly X11?)
The error is what is posted all over the web: ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting. In kodi's log, the error is again predictable:2020-04-05 11:55:13.243 T:2976068192 ERROR: X11 Error: No Display found
2020-04-05 11:55:13.243 T:2976068192 FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init windowing system.
I had thought through all the reading and examples shown that kodi could be launched by itself without having to front it with 'startx'. Am I just missing a basic understanding of how X11/Kodi (and alternately and separately Kodi/Retropie) interact? I had thought RetroPie wrote direct to the screen somehow and assumed it would use whatever magic it uses when it tries to start Kodi, but the same symptoms persist. Should I just 'get over it' and use startx, even though that's not in most of the examples throughout the web? I've made this work on other platforms by installing and using openbox; however, as an intellectual curiosity am just trying to find the leanest way possible to run Kodi.
Thanks very much for any advice or guidance!