rakeshvec

Adhoc VOIP setup - call between Raspi 3 and laptop for learning purpose without using any PBX

Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:34 am

Hi,

I have one Raspberry Pi 3 model B board and I need to check the VOIP performance on Raspi3. Fr this setup I don't have an extra hardware to setup a PBX. I need a sip client on rasp3 and on my laptop and need to call using direct ip addresses.

Tried searching for such solutions and could not find one. I am new to VOIP and learning to get this setup.
I greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Tried setting pjsip client from this link (https://binerry.de/post/29180946733/ras ... ng-machine) and unable to
run python scripts -/home/pi/trunk/pjsip-apps/src/pygui- but getting lot of syntax error or import errors.
Even tried downloading sfphone here http://sflphone.org/ but site is inaccessible.

Thanks
Rakesh

Cloudcentric

Re: Adhoc VOIP setup - call between Raspi 3 and laptop for learning purpose without using any PBX

Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:26 am

rakeshvec wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:34 am
Hi,

I have one Raspberry Pi 3 model B board and I need to check the VOIP performance on Raspi3. Fr this setup I don't have an extra hardware to setup a PBX. I need a sip client on rasp3 and on my laptop and need to call using direct ip addresses.

Tried searching for such solutions and could not find one. I am new to VOIP and learning to get this setup.
I greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Tried setting pjsip client from this link (https://binerry.de/post/29180946733/ras ... ng-machine) and unable to
run python scripts -/home/pi/trunk/pjsip-apps/src/pygui- but getting lot of syntax error or import errors.
Even tried downloading sfphone here http://sflphone.org/ but site is inaccessible.

Thanks
Rakesh

The date of the Blog you linked to is ancient and out of date, any articles / blogs more than a year old is likely unhelpful.

The only PBX Software I am aware of which supports VOiP:

http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org

rakeshvec

Re: Adhoc VOIP setup - call between Raspi 3 and laptop for learning purpose without using any PBX

Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:05 am

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned I have only one Raspi and one laptop. I need to establish voip communication between these 2 units only.
Appreciate any suggestions.

rpdom

Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:36 am

rakeshvec wrote:
Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned I have only one Raspi and one laptop. I need to establish voip communication between these 2 units only.
In order to do that you really do need even a basic PBX running to connect the two endpoints. You can run the PBX on the Pi, so you won't need any extra hardware.
Unreadable squiggle

drgeoff

Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:43 am

rpdom wrote:
rakeshvec wrote:
In order to do that you really do need even a basic PBX running to connect the two endpoints. You can run the PBX on the Pi, so you won't need any extra hardware.
No, you do NOT need a PBX to connect two SIP clients.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

rakeshvec

Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:36 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:43 am
rpdom wrote:
rakeshvec wrote:
No, you do NOT need a PBX to connect two SIP clients.
@rpdom -I must need to use run voip clients on my raspi and laptop. I hope its clear now.
If I make my raspberry pi as simple pbx then I have left with only my laptop as client. can I make same raspi as both pbx and client at same time? If Yes its helpful for me. I donot have ip phone.

@drgeoff- could you share some light on any references I cause use to communicate directly between 2 voip client directly. I really appreciate it.

sparkie777

Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:06 pm

have seen 'linphone-nogtk' already? A CLI SIP-client available as standard apt-package for Debian and derivates (Pi OS et. al.). I think you can connect 2 phones directly with it (i.e. without any cloud service/ PBX service in between). And even without SIP-passwords etc..

Linphone open source VoIP SIP softphone - voice, video and instant messaging

there's no such thing as "without SIP Server", because all SIP user agents act as both clients and servers.

rakeshvec

Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:13 am

sparkie777 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:06 pm
have seen 'linphone-nogtk' already? A CLI SIP-client available as standard apt-package for Debian and derivates (Pi OS et. al.). I think you can connect 2 phones directly with it (i.e. without any cloud service/ PBX service in between). And even without SIP-passwords etc..

Linphone open source VoIP SIP softphone - voice, video and instant messaging

there's no such thing as "without SIP Server", because all SIP user agents act as both clients and servers.
After some tries yesterday, I am able to establish voip call between my laptop and raspi using linphone binaries installed with help of below link:
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... -compilati

Thanks for your above reference and it works too. With linphone I can now establish voip call but call quality is not that good. I can see a delay from 2 to 5-7 sec some times. I am checking on improving the audio experience during call.

Any suggestions on improving audio experience (reduced delay, low noise, hd audio feeling like standard VOIP phones).

sparkie777

Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:46 pm

what is delayed 2 to 5-7 sec?

I first would force the codec in use on all devices to "G.711 a law". If that works flawlessly I would try something better suitable for HD...

rakeshvec

Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:24 pm

sparkie777 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:46 pm
what is delayed 2 to 5-7 sec?

I first would force the codec in use on all devices to "G.711 a law". If that works flawlessly I would try something better suitable for HD...
The delay of 2 to 7 sec is hearing the remote audio. Most of the time I can hear the remote audio after significant delay and also in between audio break happen.

Return to “Beginners”