JeffBryson

Programmer how to find someone to help

Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:41 pm

I have a project in mind and do not program very well, (if at all) I am looking for information on where to find a programmer to make me a program? Should i just post about the program and ask for help or is there a place I can get someone to program for me?
Thanks
Jeff

Eirikur

Re: Programmer how to find someone to help

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:56 am

This isn't a bad place to ask. There are plenty of people here, including me, who can help.
If you have detailed ideas about what you want to accomplish, the general programming topic in the Programming board might be a good place.

ame

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:02 am

You could offer money.

klricks

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:03 am

JeffBryson wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:41 pm
I have a project in mind and do not program very well, (if at all) I am looking for information on where to find a programmer to make me a program? Should i just post about the program and ask for help or is there a place I can get someone to program for me?
Thanks
Jeff
Post in the wanted sub forum. Flag your post and have a moderator move your post there.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

JeffBryson

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:37 am

Thank you for your suggestions... I am no the best at doing forums, I would of course be willing to pay someone to program for me, not sure what the going rates are for a project. Basically I need a slide show with some extras. I want to be able to play a video then have the program play a slide show with music, while the slide show is playing I need the ability to have the slide show be paused, previous and of course next, without interrupting the music. I then need the ability to have buttons to add a "like" and "love" rating to the images while the slideshow is going. I then need after the slide show has finished to be able to have it play another video, and then allow a review of the "liked" and "loved" images. I don't want a poorly played slideshow I want standard fade transitions and then to have movement to the images similar to what you can do in premier pro. I would be willing to talk to anyone interested in helping with this project or someone willing to take it on completely.
Thank you again
Jeff

W. H. Heydt

Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:03 am

JeffBryson wrote:
Thank you for your suggestions... I am no the best at doing forums, I would of course be willing to pay someone to program for me, not sure what the going rates are for a project. Basically I need a slide show with some extras. I want to be able to play a video then have the program play a slide show with music, while the slide show is playing I need the ability to have the slide show be paused, previous and of course next, without interrupting the music. I then need the ability to have buttons to add a "like" and "love" rating to the images while the slideshow is going. I then need after the slide show has finished to be able to have it play another video, and then allow a review of the "liked" and "loved" images. I don't want a poorly played slideshow I want standard fade transitions and then to have movement to the images similar to what you can do in premier pro. I would be willing to talk to anyone interested in helping with this project or someone willing to take it on completely.
Thank you again
Jeff
That could probably all be done using existing programs, such as mplayer to play the music and fbi to run the slide show, wrapped up in a shell script to start everything and provide some controls.

ame

Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:25 am

JeffBryson wrote:
Thank you again
Jeff
My suggestion was almost tongue in cheek, although money often helps.

Don't worry too much about being able to "do forums". You're doing great. The key is to not be too demanding, and also be clear on what you want to achieve, which you have done admirably.

If you are willing to do a lot of the work yourself you will find a lot of people here will give you sound advice on what to do, and how to do it. It's often better than paying people because you have the clearest idea of what you want.

Out of curiosity, what kind of display did you have in mind (tiny LCD, desktop VGA, 40" TV, 150" projector)? How do you want the control buttons to look (on-screen (mouse or touch-screen), top row of F-keys on a keyboard, custom panel with arcade-style buttons, in-air gestures)? Where will you get the images and audio from (local disc, network)? Do you actually need a network connection for anything? Once you have accumulated the like/love scores (presuming you want to record them and the buttons are not just for decoration) what do you hope to do with them?

Sounds like a fun project.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:47 am

Sounds pretty much like this https://youtu.be/isqD8UGTBB0 which is a script using 'feh' and 'screen' application.
One would have to add the input capability which needs to create,process other scripts,as well as back/next buttons i.e.

JeffBryson

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:06 pm

I am a photographer, and I want to make a case that houses a 22" or 26" screen hdmi at lowest resolution. Which i am told the PI already does that. I currently play a slideshow for my clients to view the images from the session, but I want to make it more engaging and help with the selection of images to purchase. My thought would be to have the screen in the top of the case and actual push buttons that they would hit during the slideshow as their excitement rises and they like the images. After the main slideshow is over I need to be able to grab the images that they "liked" or "loved" and go through those again to help make their selections for ordering. I would not need or want to have network capability, I would prefer to have it grab from an SD card or similar. And then be able to identify the file numbers for ordering.I have seen some slide shows on YouTube from the PI and know it is doable, but I have not found one that allows exactly what I want. I know some programming is going to be required. I do have lots of experience in hardware and repair of electronics. But programming is not my wheel house.

JeffBryson

Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:18 pm

I thought about it and this is kinda the setup I would like to see
Buttons required
1. case open this would be a magnet proximity switch that when the case lid opens program loads and displays company logo or image on screen. (optional)
2. play button starts the video introduction that explains how to play the slide show and "love" images
3. next dual purpose button to play next image during slide show if paused and to go from video introduction to slide show
4. pause button to pause the slide show
5. back button to go back in the slide show through previous images
6. stop button to stop the slide show and start from beginning
7. Review button, to grab images that were "loved" and begin new slide show with those images
8. show image file name, this would put the image file name on the bottom of the screen for the image currently being showed. that way if we needed to find the file again we could just have it show us the file name but not be visible all the time.

I am sure there would be some trial and error but I would also like it to have music controls for volume but that could be as simple as a volume knob from the amplifier verses buttons in program.
It would be nice if it could output a list of the image files that they selected. Again the slide show is key, must have fade in and out and I would like to see slow movement of the image to give it some life but that is optional. It would be best if the slide show grabbed image files from a subdirectory by file name. that way I could put them in order by number ie: 0001.jpg, 0002.jpg and so on.
If I labeled files in the order that I wanted them played and it could play videos as well, so video file would be 1.avi and then images start at number 2.jpg then if in the middle I wanted a small clip it could be 5.avi and then more images after like 6.jpg. That would be nice. If you can think of anything I am missing or additional forthought would be appreciated. If this sounds like something that you can do I would love to hear from you. ALso I am not apposed to paying, just give me an idea of how much you would like and we can make arrangements, for when it is complete. I will be putting together the case and buttons with the screen and making all of the hardware, I just need the programming. a simple load to sd card put it in the PI solution.
Thanks again for your help and interest
Jeff

Return to “Wanted”