karrika

Impressed by RPi 3

Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:17 pm

I just got my RPi 3 in the mail. The latest Jessie on a 16G SD card and start. It found my network, upgraded my software and installed some build tools for compiling QLC+ with Qt5.

The Qt5 developers libraries were in the Jessie repository. The compilation goes quite fast. 28% CPU in use.

So I installed Aisleriot to play a Freecell in full screen mode. No glitches, no sluggish movements. It works as well as my laptop.

What really surprised me is that the qlcplus latest sources compiled on the latest Jessie out-of-the-box. No editing, no tweaking. It just works!!!

I just ran the QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi 3 for the first time. Both serial ports pop up on the Input/Output tab ttyAMA0 and ttyS0. Also the GPIO plugin appears to work. Or at least all pins are there to be configured.

karrika

Re: Impressed by RPi 3

Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:33 pm

Speed tests:

with just the eth0 connected + no WiFi activated
12.71Mbits/sec download 3.36 Mbits/sec upload

After this I disconnected the eth wire and activated the on-board WiFi. The speed is a big surprise:
13.29 Mbits/sec download 3.39 Mbits/sec upload.

I don't even try to explain how a tiny-teeny-weeny on board antenna can beat my CAT5e wired connection.

morphy_richards

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:59 pm

USB bottleneck circumvention?

Mandrewpi

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:37 pm

Hey this on board wifi is faster than my Wi-Pi adapter. Yes definitely a slight USB bottleneck.
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi 4 4Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws, Pi 400.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

morphy_richards

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:45 am

Musing. Could you physically feed data from some kibd of wired connection into the wifi part of the board thus making a physical wired high speed data connection for clusters and crazy projects?

gregeric

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:02 am

The SDIO bus through which the Pi3's WiFi i/f is connected can go as fast as ~200Mbps (basically the same as SD card read speeds, to be expected as it's a similar bus it's using).

Faster WiFi solutions do exist, some of which could saturate that bus - sdio for WiFi is used in many tablets/laptops/phones, but I'm not aware of any SDIO<->LAN bridge solutions.

karrika

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:20 am

I am pretty sure than speeds faster than what I measured are possible. The server I tested against was some public server in Helsinki 20km away so all this data went through firewalls, phone lines, routers and who knows what.

But it is interesting that as an end user I will not lose speed if I use a Raspberry Pi 3 with its internal antenna compared to a wired network. This is news to me.

morphy_richards

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:47 am

gregeric wrote:The SDIO bus through which the Pi3's WiFi i/f is connected can go as fast as ~200Mbps (basically the same as SD card read speeds, to be expected as it's a similar bus it's using).

Faster WiFi solutions do exist, some of which could saturate that bus - sdio for WiFi is used in many tablets/laptops/phones, but I'm not aware of any SDIO<->LAN bridge solutions.
This needs to be hacked*.

*I mean hacked in the proper, good sense of the word and not the Mirror "newspaper" interpretation.

Return to “Off topic discussion”