Mortimer

Techmoan covers record player with Raspberry Pi 0 inside...

Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:21 pm

Just watched Techmoan talking about a Kickstarter project to produce a portable, battery operated, record player.

Unfortunately he broke it trying to fix the wiring to the cartridge as the left and right connection were swapped so he opened it up, and found that there is a Raspberry Pi 0 inside. Why? Who knows. The device appears to have Wifi connection capability, but Techmoan didn't try it as he did not have any devices capable of using it.

https://youtu.be/zZF9TdLsjt8
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

pidd

Re: Techmoan covers record player with Raspberry Pi 0 inside...

Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:26 pm

That's incredibly sloppy to have the speed that far out especially at that price.

I was expecting it to be continuously variable speed, why not?

I was also hoping for it to be stylus free, I've got stacks of records that got scratched with the stylus.

I could hear the wow on the two records he played but I thought they might have just been poor records, I heard it more on the first one, it was more difficult to be sure on the second one with the style of music.

I'd forgive them for the channels back to front if it wasn't for the other quality issues.

trejan

Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:32 pm

The Zero looks to be a sledgehammer to crack a nut with it being there for the WiFi control and Bluetooth streaming. Waiting for my record player to boot...
pidd wrote:
I was also hoping for it to be stylus free, I've got stacks of records that got scratched with the stylus.
How would that work? Those laser pickup players are insanely expensive and can't deal with even the smallest speck of dust.

pidd

Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:46 pm

trejan wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:32 pm
The Zero looks to be a sledgehammer to crack a nut with it being there for the WiFi control and Bluetooth streaming. Waiting for my record player to boot...
pidd wrote:
How would that work? Those laser pickup players are insanely expensive and can't deal with even the smallest speck of dust.
Either laser or optic pickups, both devices are pretty cheap these days, the only reason laser record players were insanely expensive were initially it was a highly advanced technology but more recently it was because people were prepared to pay silly money and the market differential could be maintained.

The track could be sampled from different angles to improve dust resistance.

My laser record player died a couple of years ago and I'd only used it a handful of times so didn't know about dust problems etc - but it was old and had been broken when I got it, it wasn't viable to replace the laser.

Presumably the Pi0 is handling the controls, speed, audio processing, wifi and bluetooth - it would appear to be a compact solution and being programmable must have an advantage.

Return to “General discussion”