gagarin

problem with raspberrypi-net-mods

Fri May 08, 2015 9:30 pm

help me please. I installed raspberrypi-net-mods but accidentally left the old file interfaces. manually configure the network wi-fi again . the new interface does not work ( the internet is working ) . when i reinstall the package raspberrypi-net-mods have not requested a replacement file interfaces. How do I reinstall the package raspberrypi-net-mods to prompted to replace the file . Show your file if you have a package raspberrypi-net-mods. apt-get clean and apt-get autoclean tried before reinstalling package

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: problem with raspberrypi-net-mods

Sat May 09, 2015 3:52 am

Try this

Code: Select all

apt-get install --reinstall -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confask" raspberrypi-net-mods

Hove

Sat May 09, 2015 7:52 am

Worked for me, thanks!
www.pistuffing.co.uk - Raspberry Pi and other stuffing!

TerryC65

Sat May 09, 2015 8:10 am

Can't help, but I'd like to add my experience.

I originally installed Raspbian about a month ago. Unfortunately, wpa-gui didn't work for me, so I manually set up the Wireless Access Point's credentials in the file /etc/wpa-supplicant/wpa-supplicant.conf and lived without the GUI icon.

Yesterday, I upgraded (by accident actually, I was trying to fix something else!). I then found that the new version was out when I visited the Pi Home Page and realised that there should now be a new GUI. However, I still didn't have one. Re-reading the original post I saw that the network interface was a separate package, so I ran the command given. I still cannot see the icon.

I have tried purging the network interface package and re-installing after purging wpa-gui, but no joy. I see that there are a couple of network related plugins for the Panel where the icon should be, but neither provide the new icon.

So how can I add the new network icon?

gagarin

Sat May 09, 2015 10:53 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:Try this

Code: Select all

apt-get install --reinstall -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confask" raspberrypi-net-mods
thanks!
its greate.

TerryC65

Sat May 09, 2015 12:07 pm

TerryC65 wrote:I have tried purging the network interface package and re-installing after purging wpa-gui, but no joy. I see that there are a couple of network related plugins for the Panel where the icon should be, but neither provide the new icon.

So how can I add the new network icon?
Replying to myself.

I have now fixed this by re-running the commands to do the upgrade (eg apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade). There were a few packages that had changed, none related to the network package, but I noticed that one included adding items to the Panel.

Presumably, this refreshed the panel content, because the new icon appeared as a Panel Applet, which I was able to add.

Joe Schmoe

Sat May 09, 2015 1:56 pm

Did you ever figure out which thing specifically to install to get just the "panel changes" ? Can this, maybe, be deduced by looking at "dpkg -l" of a "patched" system?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

TerryC65

Sat May 09, 2015 3:05 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:Did you ever figure out which thing specifically to install to get just the "panel changes" ? Can this, maybe, be deduced by looking at "dpkg -l" of a "patched" system?
Only by guesswork and a somewhat faulty memory. I recall that the additional packages were related to Sonic Pi, but I think the key one was lxpanel. I remember some message about updating it to include the Sonic Pi icon.

Hope this helps.

Return to “General discussion”