JRV

Is Indigogo and Pi-Top a fraud?

Fri May 29, 2015 3:01 pm

I contributed to the Pi-top campaign on Indigogo. It is about the worst website I have ever seen. Very hard to navigate. They do not have a place to add in the shipping, and they deducted the amount from my account with adding the shipping. I have never seen an online retailer not have a screen at the end that doue not tell you about the shipping. I have e-mailed the Pi-top campaign and the Indegogo "Customer Happiness" site. I did not hear back from the Pi-top campaign and after e-ailing the "Customer Happiness" site three times I sent them a letter saying I would post this message here.
I am mad, this is the first time I have ever sent an e-mail message with all caps. Did I get myself scamed out of $299.00?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Is Indigogo and Pi-Top a fraud?

Fri May 29, 2015 3:21 pm

Were you expecting to get the Pi Top straight away? If so I suspect you have misunderstood the concept of IndieGogo - it's like Kickstarter. Your money has gone towards a fund to implement whatever Pi-Top is. You need to see the Pi-toip website for current status of the project.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

Heater

Fri May 29, 2015 3:30 pm

JRV,

Seems you were not aware of what you were signing up for.

Have you read their blog: http://www.pi-top.com/blog/large-update

On the 26-03-2015 they said:

As we get close to the assembly stage of Pi-Top we had a small set back with the custom smart battery pack we designed. This will result in the shipping of the first batch being delayed until late June.

Looks like they are very open and clear about informing everyone of their progress (and set backs). Be patient.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

JRV

Fri May 29, 2015 3:45 pm

I know that they are a kickstarter like site and I am aware of the battery delay. That is not a problem. The problem is they did not have a page to add the shipping, so it was not paid. I have e-mailed them trying to get them to tell me how I pay the shipping to no avail. So are they going to just take my money and forget about shipping it?

Heater

Fri May 29, 2015 3:58 pm

JRV,

Perhaps that does sound a bit disorganized.

I'm guessing they will have more time to think about shipping when they have finalized the product to ship.

I'd be waiting until things start moving before going all upper case on them.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

JRV

Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:44 pm

It took a long time to get a response from Pi-top but they finally answered me today.
They apologized for the delay and will be fixing the problem, apparently I was not the only one to make this mistake.
I am no longer mad at them.

Return to “General discussion”