KenoRosarioPH

nonresponsive Touchscreen after apt-get upgrade

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:04 pm

Good day Forum! My 3.2" After getting an upgrade and update on my pi 2. my lcd touchscreen have been non responsive and i dont know the reason why. Before getting an upgrade and update, the display and touchresponse works fine.

hansotten

Re: nonresponsive Touchscreen after apt-get upgrade

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:47 pm

What display/touchscreen?

If it is one of those LCD screens attached to the GPIO connector it is one of those SPI based framebuffer fbtft types.

Did you get a special image, with a modified kernel? In that case you must prevent kernel upgrades.
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com for Raspberry Pi and Arduino and ESP8266
http://retro.hansotten.nl for retrocomputing with 8 bit CPU's

KenoRosarioPH

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:15 pm

hansotten wrote:What display/touchscreen?

If it is one of those LCD screens attached to the GPIO connector it is one of those SPI based framebuffer fbtft types.

Did you get a special image, with a modified kernel? In that case you must prevent kernel upgrades.
Yes sir! My lcd is attached to to the GPIO connector, alright will check on that sir. Also sir, i installed a special image for my lcd touchscreen to work but after getting an upgrade touch does not respond anymore. How will i get rid with the upgraded kernel?

hansotten

Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:24 pm

Get the kernel files form the image you started with and replace those in the boot directory.

And if this sounds complicated: install the image fresh.

And before you update, prevent kernel upgrades with

sudo apt-mark hold raspberrypi-bootloader

KenoRosarioPH

Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:24 am

hansotten wrote:Get the kernel files form the image you started with and replace those in the boot directory.

Will try this sir! Will this not have any issues in the future? like any issue that will affect my installed programs? sorry im quite new about this

hansotten

Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:35 pm

KenoRosarioPH wrote:
hansotten wrote:Get the kernel files form the image you started with and replace those in the boot directory.

Will try this sir! Will this not have any issues in the future? like any issue that will affect my installed programs? sorry im quite new about this
Preventing kernel upgrades is not a good thing in the long term. New features, security patches will be missing. And programs may need newer libs that come with upgrades.

The manufacturers of these cheap lcd touch screens will have to help here, and I have my doubts they will support those longer than the initial sale. Adafruit being a good example of a company that does support long term, eg. the PiTFT. The chinese and indian companies will not.

So you are stuck with a functioning system frozen in time. Nothing wrong with that for the immediate future.

KenoRosarioPH

Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:54 pm

hansotten wrote:
KenoRosarioPH wrote:

Preventing kernel upgrades is not a good thing in the long term. New features, security patches will be missing. And programs may need newer libs that come with upgrades.

The manufacturers of these cheap lcd touch screens will have to help here, and I have my doubts they will support those longer than the initial sale. Adafruit being a good example of a company that does support long term, eg. the PiTFT. The chinese and indian companies will not.

So you are stuck with a functioning system frozen in time. Nothing wrong with that for the immediate future.
That's quite bothering. Btw, the steps you suggested works fine as of now. Great help sir thanks! How about Waveshare LCD?

Cypher

Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:29 pm

Hi there, I have the same problem but with a USB 7" capacitive touchscreen (C) from WaveShare. I need the software update to use the Pi Camera, but if I do upgrade, it just stops detecting touch inputs... Will disabling the kernel updates work for this USB-type touchscreen?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Discovering a whole new world of endless possibilities

KenoRosarioPH

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:12 am

Cypher wrote:Hi there, I have the same problem but with a USB 7" capacitive touchscreen (C) from WaveShare. I need the software update to use the Pi Camera, but if I do upgrade, it just stops detecting touch inputs... Will disabling the kernel updates work for this USB-type touchscreen?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
as sir Hans stated try having these before updating. sudo apt-mark hold raspberrypi-bootloader.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:34 am

Alternatively get in contact with the supplier/manufacturer of your display - perhaps they already have an updated image, or a sure-fire way of upgrading without breaking anything.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

KenoRosarioPH

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:05 am

KenoRosarioPH wrote:Good day Forum! My 3.2" After getting an upgrade and update on my pi 2. my lcd touchscreen have been non responsive and i dont know the reason why. Before getting an upgrade and update, the display and touchresponse works fine.
For those who still not have the fortune to get their screen working after executing upgrade and update. You can Email me @kenorosario@outlook.com. But here are the steps. Fear not to upgrade and update guys, touch function of the lcd will be right there working after updating the firmware. The following steps successfully worked on my part using WAVESHARE SPOTPEAR 3.5" (A) V3

1. Given Image by your manufactrrer burned into your SD Card

2. Run update and upgrade
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install rpi-update
$ sudo rpi-update

3. Reboot
$ sudo reboot

4. add these things to your config.txt
$sudo nano /boot/config.txt
$dtoverlay=ads7846,speed=500000,penirq=17,swapxy=1

viola touch response is resumed