ajoberstar

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:21 am

I'd like to add my voice to those hoping for this feature. This will make my Raspberry Pi a great replacement for the Boxee Box.

Topmetom

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:36 am

I'd happily pay as well! :D

johnbanks

Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:25 pm

I'll be happy to pay too.
The idea of a Kickstarter project is also great if it's a matter of upfront funding.
It would also have some educational benefit - this grandad is not only interested in movies but is also busily working on 3 Pi's for grandkids for Xmas and would be happy & spurred on in in his educational efforts.
Many open source projects allow donations - why not Raspberry Pi - and don't forget GiftAid

SpinDizzy

Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:36 pm

+1 Here, I'd also pay.

johnbanks

Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:51 pm

dom wrote:
lanlafi wrote:Could someone tell me, where is the already existing Passthrough code (e.g. for Dolby Digital)? Is it in omxplayer source, or the recently opened libraries, or in the closed source firmware?
HDMI is directly controlled by GPU, so that's where the magic needs to happen.

I've been studying the code and trying to determine the differences between DTS and DTS-HD MA and have some idea of what need doing.
I'm hoping to do some experiments over Christmas (fortunately my receiver at home supports it), but it depends on the urgency of other Pi related bugs/features whether I'll be able to do it.
Another happy to pay license payer here.
The KickStarter project suggested by others is also a good idea.

Abnrom

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:29 pm

I`d be more than happy to pay a fee for lossless support on my pi, would prolly make this the best deal ever in terms of a fully functioning mediacenter solution. DTS is ok, but as long as I have gear that supports these formats I`d prefer them over the "lesser formats" :)

Peachmeister

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:27 pm

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is a "Kickstarter" project?

Surely we should just 'petition' the foundation to include this feature, no?

It seems like funding is not an issue - plenty on here have said they'd pay, myself included.

johnbanks

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:54 pm

Kickstarter is a great concept - pls Google for details but basically people pledge ahead of time to bring a project to fruition that needs funding upfront.
I read somewhere on this forum that a 'subcontractor' could do the necessary work- so he'd need paying before the licences were subsequently sold.
It seems that Dom who is doing an absolutely superb job and is up to his neck in things to do - should be spending time at Xmas with his family - not possibly working on this (as he wrote).

Davezilla

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:23 am

Just want to pile on here that DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD passthrough would be absolutely killer. I'd gladly pay for it too as others have stated in this thread. I also see some buzz at various sites about the lack of HD audio passthrough being a deal breaker for many potential Pi owners.

That said I hope all of the developers have a great holiday with their families and take time to enjoy their loved ones. HD Passthrough can wait but there's no doubt it's a key feature for HTPC application of this fantastic little device.

Cheers and thank you for all that you do!

My name is Andy

Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi, just joined to express a massive interest in this subject. I would love one of these to replace my NMT. It's an absolute steal at the price, when paired with xbmc its more capable devices many times its cost.

joe-pi

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:23 pm

I joined to express my interest for bitstreaming of TrueHD and DTS HD MA via HDMI. I have been testing a RPi, and I have been extremely impressed with the capabilities. Unfortunately, the lack of HD audio capabilities means I can't yet replace my Boxee (which has an extremely annoying bug where HD audio drops out).

I have 2 other coworkers who are waiting to see the results of my testing, before they jump in the water.

joe

big_troll

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:24 am

Could somebody please explain to me why a license for DTS / DTS MA passthrough should be required.

The passthrough doesn't require any kind of intervention or decoding,

The passthrough only requires detection and transportation.

And if a license is required why doesn't the network adapter company have to pay any license. After all they are also transporting the signal.

Is there some kind of legal difference between a conscious transportation ( as in passthrough) and an unconscious transportation (as in network)?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:37 pm

big_troll wrote:Could somebody please explain to me why a license for DTS / DTS MA passthrough should be required.
It isn't.

You might imagine that given the name passthough it is trivial to send the encoded data untouched to the device.
Unfortunately it's rather more involved than that, and involves parsing the packets, extracting the duration, replacing headers, mangling the data and inserting (suitably encoded) silence as well as lots of plumbing.
It was quoted by the guy who who did the standard DTS passthough code as a couple of week's work.

johnbanks

Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:19 pm

dom wrote:
big_troll wrote:Could somebody please explain to me why a license for DTS / DTS MA passthrough should be required.
It isn't.

You might imagine that given the name passthough it is trivial to send the encoded data untouched to the device.
Unfortunately it's rather more involved than that, and involves parsing the packets, extracting the duration, replacing headers, mangling the data and inserting (suitably encoded) silence as well as lots of plumbing.
It was quoted by the guy who who did the standard DTS passthough code as a couple of week's work.
Pls hire the guy. I'm sure The Foundation will be more than re-imbursed by the extra sales of RPi's to people dedicating them as Media Centres. RPi + XBMC is a great combination. I've tried it - streaming bluray rips by wired network to an AV receiver - works great - but without DTS-MA & TrueHD, it's too soon to abandon my current media centre. Thx

My name is Andy

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:04 am

Could we do our own version of kickstarter with this? A totalizer would be a great bit of nostalgia to go with the Pi naming conventions. On a less frivolous note I'd be happy to contribute directly to the foundation due to that status. If it were to help speed this functionality up otherwise I'm stuck with my continuing kludge :(

euro

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Joined because of this thread in order to state the financial support for the endeavor in whatever form will be deemed appropriate.

I think adding the DTS-MA and Dolby True-HD passthrough support is an extremely cheap quick-win for acquiring new types of audiences of device users (in addition to the educational one).

If it happens, I'll definitely buy the RPi (and all the necessary licenses) and join the user community.

Cheers.

KAnd

Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:58 pm

+1

I am also ready to pay for the license.

Danielowenuk

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:02 pm

Like Dom says, it's not a licensing issue it's pure and simple lack of code issue.

benofishal

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:08 am

+1 for HD pass through, again happy to donate to the work.

tehnatural

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:47 am

+1 here, I would also gladly pay for it - if it was necessary!

felixekman

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:36 pm

+1 here too, fully willing to pay to make this happen!

therazz

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:19 pm

+1

Kindly support this case - I'll gladly pay to see this happen

marctwo

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:53 am

+1 happy to pay

Stasik0

Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:23 pm

can we add a digital sound output (maybe through the analog speaker port) to the kickstarter aims?

sweller

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Passthrough, please?

Another willing to pay.

Return to “General discussion”