Botspot

Easily revert back to Chromium v78

Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:13 am

As many of us know, chromium-browser was recently upgraded to version 84.

As some of us have found, there are some regressions with it.
For example, Widevine (Chromium Media Edition) doesn't work anymore. Also I've seen some other posters having other random problems with the new version.

I have no doubt that these issues will be solved eventually, but what about until then? If only there was an easy way to downgrade the package...

TL;DR I made a script that downgrades chromium-browser back to v78.
You can install it manually by following the instructions on the repository's README, but if you value your time I'd suggest using Pi-Apps.
Pi-Apps is a simple RPi app store containing 32 useful apps to make your Pi better. None of these apps are available on the repository.
Install Pi-Apps with:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps
~/pi-apps/install
To install an app, just click Install!
snapshot.png
snapshot.png (169.77 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
For the Chromium v78 app, this script is run when you click Install.
Easily install apps on your Pi with Pi-Apps! Over 500k users.
Includes two Zoom desktop apps, 3 ways to run Minecraft, 10 web browsers, appearance themes, and 105 more.
More info: https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps

manderss99

Re: Easily revert back to Chromium v78

Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:22 am

thanks a lot!
will use until someone figures out how to get widevine running on 84.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:42 pm

As much as I like Pi-Apps after playing around with it yesterday, minor correction that widevine does work once you put the files in the right place. With never version of chromium it's not enough to just drop .so file somewhere. If you search for widevine-flash_armhf.sh, then you should be set.

The only issue we currently know of is that it doesn't work with bluealsa. The recommended fix right now is using pulseaudio instead.

Botspot

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:59 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:42 pm
As much as I like Pi-Apps after playing around with it yesterday, minor correction that widevine does work once you put the files in the right place. With never version of chromium it's not enough to just drop .so file somewhere. If you search for widevine-flash_armhf.sh, then you should be set.
Yes, the Chromium Media Edition within Pi-Apps is exactly the same as the ventz script. And yes, it does not work for Chromium v84.
I'm working with several devs right now to improve upon the widevine-flash_armhf.sh script to avoid downloading a 2GB file.
Includes two Zoom desktop apps, 3 ways to run Minecraft, 10 web browsers, appearance themes, and 105 more.

ShiftPlusOne

Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:34 pm

Botspot wrote: Yes, the Chromium Media Edition within Pi-Apps is exactly the same as the ventz script. And yes, it does not work for Chromium v84.
Didn't mean to hijack the thread, so I'll addressed this in the other one.
Botspot wrote: I'm working with several devs right now to improve upon the widevine-flash_armhf.sh script to avoid downloading a 2GB file.
Isn't that what Chromium Media Edition already does by downloading it from Ventz' server? Or is this another way doesn't doesn't require having somebody other than Google hosting the file?

Either way, thanks for the great work making it all simple for everybody.

Botspot

Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:39 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Isn't that what Chromium Media Edition already does by downloading it from Ventz' server? Or is this another way doesn't doesn't require having somebody other than Google hosting the file?
Yeah but, it doesn't work. ;)
I suppose you could say I'm creating a ventz-style script that doesn't involve an unnecessary large download. It's almost done by the way.
ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Either way, thanks for the great work making it all simple for everybody.
Thank you too. Any chance Pi-Apps will get a sticky at some point? (but please don't stick this thread though)

ShiftPlusOne

Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:49 pm

Botspot wrote: Any chance Pi-Apps will get a sticky at some point? (but please don't stick this thread though)
I don't see why not, but I don't do much in terms of forum admin/moderation nowadays. I'll flag it up and see if anybody has any objections.

Do you have a thread for it already?

Botspot

Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:51 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:49 pm
I don't see why not, but I don't do much in terms of forum admin/moderation nowadays. I'll flag it up and see if anybody has any objections.

Do you have a thread for it already?
I don't have a general Pi-Apps thread yet. It won't be long from now though.

Return to “General discussion”